Page 563 of 563 FirstFirst ... 63463513553561562563
Results 14,051 to 14,061 of 14061

Thread: Shea Stadium

Quote Originally Posted by alpineinc View Post
    Grounds crew switching out the bases
    Wow, I had no idea they did that back then. I thought switching bases was a relatively recent thing, once clubs realized they could sell them to collectors.
    X
    Edith Bunker (responding to her husband's outrage that his beloved daughter was cheating on her "Meathead" husband): No matter what she done, it's none of your business!
    Archie Bunker: Whaddya talkin' about, it's the world's business!
    Edith: No, it ain't the world's business, neither!
    Archie: Well, it's certainly God's business!
    Edith: Then you let God tend to it.

Last edited by alpineinc; 01-24-2015 at 06:44 PM.

Maybe here before. Thursday, April 23, 1964, visitors flock to the World's Fair grounds. Later that day, Shea would host it's 4th ballgame ever, as the Mets would lose to the Cubs, 5-1, in a 15-hit barrage against Tracy Stallard, with triples for both Ernie Banks (3-5) and Lou Brock. Stallard would lose 20 that year and be traded to the Cards at season's end.

2921-4ba7cd96e5fd47d2a81da31ab6b3ad8c.jpg

HOLY CRAP!

Years ago I tried to answer a question about Cash and June Carter appearance at Shea Stadium by going to an official Cash Forum (JohnnyCash.com) who had people who tracked all Johnny Cash concerts. And I was told it NEVER HAPPENED!

VINDICATION!
    VICTORY IS MINE, VICTORY IS MINE!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveJRogers View Post
    HOLY CRAP!

Years ago I tried to answer a question about Cash and June Carter appearance at Shea Stadium by going to an official Cash Forum (JohnnyCash.com) who had people who tracked all Johnny Cash concerts. And I was told it NEVER HAPPENED!

VINDICATION!
    VICTORY IS MINE, VICTORY IS MINE!
    I'm glad I could help! Although someone posted here back in August 2011 that the concert was on August 22, 1967, between games of a doubleheader with the Phillies, there is still very little info on this concert, nothing in news archives so far, and even the pretty thorough Cash website that posted the photos don't list it in their 1967 concert database (http://www.johnny-cash-infocenter.co....php?year=1967), but that's definitely him, and definitely 1967 with Met Tommy Davis in the background. If I can find more info anywhere I'll post it.
    Last edited by alpineinc; 01-25-2015 at 03:10 PM.

Now that's a real doubleheader. Two games plus Johnny Cash on for one ticket? Far cry from today.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
    Wow, I had no idea they did that back then. I thought switching bases was a relatively recent thing, once clubs realized they could sell them to collectors.
    I would think it should be done simply as a security measure. I mean, what if someone hid a handgun under second base, as part of a plot to hypnotically trigger the right fielder to use it for an assassination during the 7th inning stretch? That's been a known risk since at least 1988.

"I must... kill... The Queen."
    Last edited by robardin; 01-26-2015 at 11:42 AM.
    «Telle est la vie des hommes. Quelques joies, très vite effacées par d’inoubliables chagrins. Il n'est pas nécessaire de le dire aux enfants...» (Marcel Pagnol)

Very small crowd at that Seaver first win. But it is interesting to note how they "papered the house". There are even folks sitting in Section 47 of the Upper Deck. Strangely, there a small isolated group seated in the lower field boxes in the left corner.
    Last edited by sheagoodbye1010; 01-26-2015 at 08:05 PM.

I attended another mystery concert at Shea. Extremely popular country singer Freddy Fender entertained a pre-game Shea gathering circa 1979.

Freddy Fender had two crossover hits in the mid 70s, he was mostly popular with the country and western crowd as it was called back then.
    "to a new yorker like you a hero is some sort of weird sandwich"

"Because I'm loyal and true, to the orange and blue"

Quote Originally Posted by sheagoodbye1010 View Post
    Very small crowd at that Seaver first win. But it is interesting to note how they "papered the house". There are even folks sitting in Section 47 of the Upper Deck. Strangely, there a small isolated group seated in the lower field boxes in the left corner.
    That could've been me up in Section 47. I went to that game with my sixth grade class. I recall Seaver, the score, and that I had to do some sort of writeup for the parent-teacher publication in which I noted that Class 6-4 didn't waste time, we went to the third home game of the season - which the teacher questioned. Also a girl complained that she passed her quarter to the hot dog vendor but in all the confusion with kids, quarters and hot dogs, she never got hers.

As for what I did last week? Not a clue.

Page 563 of 563 FirstFirst ... 63463513553561562563