Page 560 of 560 FirstFirst ... 60460510550558559560
Results 13,976 to 13,989 of 13989

Thread: Shea Stadium

Quote Originally Posted by JohnCropp View Post
    That is cool!

Inaccurate, but cool!

Very observant John - hilarious too.

Great inside view of the blue & orange panels at Shea. Carmen Berra, with other Met wives, at fashion show.

carmen-berra-1966.jpg
    Last edited by WillMissShea; 04-04-2014 at 05:23 AM.

Great photo. Those panels were very light weight metal. They must have made some noise on a windy day.

I've read that the panels were supposed to look like confetti. But in each column they are arranged PRECISELY identical. It's like the drugs had not quite kicked in all the way yet.

Quote Originally Posted by WillMissShea View Post
    Great inside view of the blue & orange panels at Shea. Carmen Berra, with other Met wives, at fashion show.

carmen-berra-1966.jpg
    The second from the right, that's a dude, right? Nothing wrong with that, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by tugger View Post
    The second from the right, that's a dude, right? Nothing wrong with that, of course.
    Ha Ha! I thought they same thing! She is just hideous.

Aside from Carmen, who are the others?
    The one on far right looks familiar but cant put my finger on it.

Looks like Peggy Lennon from the Lawrence Welk show.

5337401.jpg

shea668.jpg

"Rookie" Jerry Koosman would go the distance, picking up his 10th victory of the season. As many of us know, Koosman would win 19 and finish 2nd in the ROY balloting to a guy named Bench in Cincinnati. The win would give the Mets 4 wins in a row, putting them at 28-29, one game under .500, and 6 games back of first. Unfortunately, both were the high watermarks for the '68 campaign. 1969 would bring greater success.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shea-Stadium...item58a7ef2e20

Quote Originally Posted by alpineinc View Post
    shea668.jpg

"Rookie" Jerry Koosman would go the distance, picking up his 10th victory of the season. As many of us know, Koosman would win 19 and finish 2nd in the ROY balloting to a guy named Bench in Cincinnati. The win would give the Mets 4 wins in a row, putting them at 28-29, one game under .500, and 6 games back of first. Unfortunately, both were the high watermarks for the '68 campaign. 1969 would bring greater success.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shea-Stadium...item58a7ef2e20

In June of 1968 I went to Shea for the first time. I barely remember it, and I really didn't know anything about baseball (some say I still don't). The Mets lost to St Louis in a double header on June 2nd. The Mets were swept 4 games, having come into the series only 2 1/2 games behind the defending champs.
    Bob Gibson won the first game, he had come into the game at 3-5 ! But starting with that very game, he had an epic season and won the next 15 games. . (how I wish I were old enough to appreciate it !)

From June 2 to July 30, Gibson allowed only two earned runs in ninety-two innings pitched: a 0.20 ERA. Gibson pitched 47 consecutive scoreless innings during this stretch, at the time the third-longest scoreless streak in major league history. Gibson finished the season with 28 complete games out of 34 games started. Of the games he didn't complete, he was pinch-hit for, meaning Gibson was not removed from the mound for another pitcher for the entire season

Gibson was not removed from the mound for another pitcher for the entire season ! Unbelievable. And believe it or not, I was there. Even if I was more interested in food and ice cream ! Some of my Uncles took a bunch of us cousins to this DH. Probably spent a bunch of $$$ on kids who did not appreciate the greatness of Gibson.

By the next time I went to Shea with my parents taking me for the first time in September 1969...baseball fever had struck me and I really could follow the game. But as fate would have it, Nolan Ryan and Jim McAndrew were walloped by the Pirates 8-2 and 8-0. Gee, a double header loss again ! But this time, the Mets won 38 of 49 yet I see a DH loss.I also remember Stargell hitting a blast off McAndrew that may still be travelling.

Shea Stadium Packed For First Baseball Game
    50 Years Ago Today - April 17, 1964
    AP Wire: “New York’s new municipal Shea Stadium is packed for the first game in the arena today. The New York Mets and the Pittsburgh Pirates line the basepaths in opening day ceremony.”
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great pic BSmile.

Love the old PG, but I always think how new Shea in 1964 must've felt so unusually bright and "open aired" compared to the old park in Harlem, even as opposed to Yankee Stadium, which had plenty of shadows and dark corners of its own.

Quote Originally Posted by alpineinc View Post
    Great pic BSmile.

Love the old PG, but I always think how new Shea in 1964 must've felt so unusually bright and "open aired" compared to the old park in Harlem, even as opposed to Yankee Stadium, which had plenty of shadows and dark corners of its own.
    Thanks alpineinc!
    Yeah, the first time I went to Shea (early 1980's) it definitely felt very "open aired". I'd only previously been to Yankee Stadium and Fenway Park...so there was a really different feel to the place.

Page 560 of 560 FirstFirst ... 60460510550558559560