Page 105 of 715 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107115155205605 ... LastLast
Results 2,081 to 2,100 of 14282

Thread: Shea Stadium

Ya know what.. I never realized this.. Well, never even thought of it.. The original Bud advertisement is slightly covered up.. The rounded clock portion turned METS is at the top of the backboard.. Did they add matrices to the scoreboard.. Would that explain why the center matrix ends beneath the Bud advertisement..? You see 12 pairs in previous pics, obviously for the size of the league.. But surpassing the teams around now would necessitate an increase in area.. Any opinions?

"...So the winning run is on second base, with two outs, three and two to Mookie Wilson.

Little roller up along first; BEHIND THE BAG! It gets through Buckner!

Here comes Knight and the Mets win it!"

- Vin Scully, Announcer

Quote Originally Posted by RoastedPeanut View Post
    Ya know what.. I never realized this.. Well, never even thought of it.. The original Bud advertisement is slightly covered up.. The rounded clock portion turned METS is at the top of the backboard.. Did they add matrices to the scoreboard.. Would that explain why the center matrix ends beneath the Bud advertisement..? You see 12 pairs in previous pics, obviously for the size of the league.. But surpassing the teams around now would necessitate an increase in area.. Any opinions?
    This relating to the sides of the scoreboard.. Sides are increased in the matrix, the center is covered, and the oval is moved up and turned into a white skyline..?

"...So the winning run is on second base, with two outs, three and two to Mookie Wilson.

Little roller up along first; BEHIND THE BAG! It gets through Buckner!

Here comes Knight and the Mets win it!"

- Vin Scully, Announcer

It is truly amazing how we are uncovering these things that you thought were long gone before.... I never would have thought I would see that AD again.

Quote Originally Posted by Kentonio View Post
    I remember these on-camera live reads well. Murphy and Nelson would open to the centerfold team picture and always say, without fail, that it was "suitable for framing".

I think the address was "Mets Yearbook, PO Box ___, Grand Central Station, Flushing, NY 11368.

I loved the WOR show open, a montage of Mets video (updated every year) played to Meet The Mets, and ending with a freeze frame of Cleon Jones sliding into home plate.
    That is the Holy Grail right there. I have never been able to find a clip of that intro. You Tube bleg! Anyone have one?

And why wouldn't the Mets simply play that JJ jingle at the start of every game at New Shea? What harm would it do to have a shred of Met nostalgia? You guys would love going to the games if I ran things...

Quote Originally Posted by Mister B. View Post
    Can't remember any on-camera drinking. I do remember them reciting the various Rheingold slogans over the years, though, especially the one about the "ten minute head."

At one point the Rheingold slogan was "either you have it or you don't." The slogan appeared on a sign at the base of the scoreboard. When a Met hit a home run the words "you have it" flashed in lights. Distant precursor to the home run apple, I suppose.
    I dont remember any drinking either, and this happens to be the first I ever of that, although who knows. I also remember the live reads for Shaefer Beer, especially Murph, who in his unique style, ended by saying "The one beer to have...when you're having more than one".

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Ellen View Post
    Bob Murphy implores you to put some Rheingold's on ice and light up a Viceroy at the start of the game.
    I've got a recording of the very first Mets radio broadcast from 1962, and I think he says that just before he gives the starting lineups.

Quote Originally Posted by Aviator_Frank View Post
    Here's the clip of Jane Jarvis, with an added bonus of hearing Lindsay Nelson. He doesn't start with his customary "This is Lindsay nelson and hello again, everybody".
    Based on what's being said, I think this clip was from the 1969 World Series.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister B. View Post
    anyone got a recording of that "clap hands" song Jane played during the seventh inning stretch??
    You mean "Cha Cha Slide" by DJ Kasper? Everybody clap your hands! (clap clap clap clap clap clap clap) C'mon, y'all!

All right, all right... in reality, if memory serves me right, the song Ms. Jarvis performed during the 7th inning stretch was the Mexican Hat Dance.
    X
    Archie Bunker: All I can tell you, Edith, is I'm surprised at you! Dragging me off to a moving picture like that! It was absolutely disgusting!
    Edith Bunker: Well, I'm sorry, Archie, how was I to know? I thought it was a religious picture, "Cardinal Knowledge!"

Gary -

That clip was from game 4 of the 69 Series. It's from the Essential Games DVD

Quote Originally Posted by Swoboda4 View Post
    That is the Holy Grail right there. I have never been able to find a clip of that intro. You Tube bleg! Anyone have one?

And why wouldn't the Mets simply play that JJ jingle at the start of every game at New Shea? What harm would it do to have a shred of Met nostalgia? You guys would love going to the games if I ran things...
    I have many copies of games, and one or two I know contains that open.

Anyone remember the main sponsor of Kiners Korner during the 70's shows with the orange set with the embossed team names in background? Great Bear Auto Center. That show was also something special. If I ever missed a game (which wasnt often) and I got home during KK, I would know the outcome if a visiting player was the guest. Instant bummer if Lou Brock or Dave Parker was sitting there instead of Jerry Koosman or John Stearns.

I never understood why those wonderful songs we have been discussing never appear on-air or in stadium (other than the lame recent versions of Meet The Mets) as well as the JJ jingles. It would be amazing, even if played off of tape, to play the JJ Jingle before the start of game in CitiField. Also couldnt believe that Meet The Mets-- in any version-- wasnt chosen to be the SNY theme music. They could have done a modern montage, ending the same way (freeze of Reyes sliding into home) and the Mets round logo spins onto the screen to end it. It is astounding to me that the blaring music, must-entertain-fans-between-innings craze hasnt transitioned back full-cycle to traditional organ music by now. I thought I heard the organ at Dodger Stadium during the playoffs and it sounded amazing.

You mean "Cha Cha Slide" by DJ Kasper? Everybody clap your hands! (clap clap clap clap clap clap clap) C'mon, y'all!

All right, all right... in reality, if memory serves me right, the song Ms. Jarvis performed during the 7th inning stretch was the Mexican Hat Dance.[/QUOTE]

It was not the Cha Cha Slide. It was the Hat Dance. JJ would slow it down and speed it up. Take Me Out To The Ballgame was never played at Shea back then.

My God, I'm surprised they took down the scoreboard so fast! The funny thing is that I was considering going back to Shea yesterday (Saturday) to get more pictures, but I decided not to... and it's possible that I might have been there when they knocked it down... but on the other hand, had I been there and (like Dan) missed out on the actual moment I'd have been very upset at my failure to capture it, so what 'cha gonna do?

Yeah, that sounds like a good idea...

Maybe I'll go back out there today (Sunday)...
    X
    Archie Bunker: All I can tell you, Edith, is I'm surprised at you! Dragging me off to a moving picture like that! It was absolutely disgusting!
    Edith Bunker: Well, I'm sorry, Archie, how was I to know? I thought it was a religious picture, "Cardinal Knowledge!"

It was not the Cha Cha Slide. It was the Hat Dance. JJ would slow it down and speed it up. Take Me Out To The Ballgame was never played at Shea back then.
    That's what I said. Hooooo boy... my entire post is quoted, which means my words weren't taken out of context, and yet it's still mis-understood...

In the words of former mayor Ed Koch - "I can explain it to you, but I can't comprehend it for you."

X

I wonder when they're going to start taking down the actual structure of the stadium.

Well, it sure is sad to see the demolition finally happening at Shea and we haven't even seen any of the actual stadium structure torn down yet.

For a while now I have planned to build a model of Shea Stadium and last night I completed a floor plan marking all the major columns. This model will depict Shea's inaugural 1964 season. I think Shea has a lot of unique characteristics and I hope to capture some of them in this model. I'll be posting some photos probably in a new thread once I have some photos of substance.

At the rate they're going, I'll bet it's already been removed and paved over.
    X

Next time I'll be in New York City will be early November. I'd like to go down to the Shea Stadium site and check out the progress. I wonder if they will have started the structural demolition when I go?

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
    That's what I said. Hooooo boy... my entire post is quoted, which means my words weren't taken out of context, and yet it's still mis-understood...

In the words of former mayor Ed Koch - "I can explain it to you, but I can't comprehend it for you."

Upon further inspection, it is clear you were being sarcastic about the Cha Cha...I totally missed it. No hard feelings I hope... We must all cover lots of ground (no pun) in this thread in upcoming months...

I will be in northeast Queens tomorrow about 11:30a and trying to decide if worth my time going by Shea..does anyone think they may begin on the RF or LF stands, or they probably dont want to add any more debris until the scoreboard and Diamondvision debris is all removed?

Quote Originally Posted by curb my enthusiasm View Post
    Next time I'll be in New York City will be early November. I'd like to go down to the Shea Stadium site and check out the progress. I wonder if they will have started the structural demolition when I go?
    I'd say there's a 100% chance that they will have started by early November. I can't imagine that they won't have started by then.

Quote Originally Posted by nymdan View Post
    I wonder when they're going to start taking down the actual structure of the stadium.
    They still have the outfield lighttowers and the picnic bleachers to remove...will be interesting to see if strategy will be to knock EVERYTHING down and then clean ALL debris afterwards, or knock a little section down, remove the debris, knock another part down, remove that debris, etc...I would guess that they will do the latter, which means that tomorrow they would take away the debris from the scoreboards before they start on stadium itself. Any thoughts?

Anybody know where they are taking it all? Im sure they will recycle all the steel and concrete rather than taking it to landfills..

Upon further inspection, it is clear you were being sarcastic about the Cha Cha...I totally missed it. No hard feelings I hope... We must all cover lots of ground (no pun) in this thread in upcoming months...

I will be in northeast Queens tomorrow about 11:30a and trying to decide if worth my time going by Shea..does anyone think they may begin on the RF or LF stands, or they probably dont want to add any more debris until the scoreboard and Diamondvision debris is all removed?
    My guess would be the field level moveable stands will be the next thing to go.

I saw a picture somewhere that shows the cycloramic shell looking much different during the world's fair. i will try and track it down and post it.

I have some picture's from the 1965 camera day that i also will upload here as soon as i can dig them out of the basement.

Page 105 of 715 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107115155205605 ... LastLast