Thread: players paychecks

Question players paychecks

Anybody know how MLB players typically get paid? Does the team litterally cut them a payroll check, or is there a form of direct deposit into their bank account? Do they only get paid during the season, or is their salary distributed equally throughout the year? I know in the old days players didn't make enough to support their families throughout the year so they typically had a second job during the offseason. Do they get paid every week, every two weeks, every month, or what? Inquiring minds want to know.

Traditionally, they have been paid twice a month on the 1st and 15th - only during the season. That may have changed with the mega-millions of the last 15 years and in negotiation via the union or individual contracts.

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle1 View Post
    Anybody know how MLB players typically get paid? Does the team litterally cut them a payroll check, or is there a form of direct deposit into their bank account? Do they only get paid during the season, or is their salary distributed equally throughout the year? I know in the old days players didn't make enough to support their families throughout the year so they typically had a second job during the offseason. Do they get paid every week, every two weeks, every month, or what? Inquiring minds want to know.

We get paid on the 1st and the 15th. You can either elect to have the money direct deposited into your account like I do, or have a check cut to you that you can deposit where you want. We get paid during the months of the season, not during the offseason. The coaching staff and training staff get paid year round. The minimum salary in the big leagues is around 15k every 2 weeks after taxes. I think A-rod is getting around 2 million every 2 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by hiddengem View Post
    I think A-rod is getting around 2 million every 2 weeks.
    Wow. I think I would elect to recieve a physical cheque just so that I could see the number $2,000,000 with my name beside it.
    "Does this message discuss our national pastime in an interesting manner?"
    -BBF Policy, Section VII

We get paid on the 1st and the 15th. You can either elect to have the money direct deposited into your account like I do, or have a check cut to you that you can deposit where you want. We get paid during the months of the season, not during the offseason. The coaching staff and training staff get paid year round. The minimum salary in the big leagues is around 15k every 2 weeks after taxes. I think A-rod is getting around 2 million every 2 weeks.
    Thanks Hiddengem, very informative.

Blog Entries
    Sports Illustrated a few years back did a story about the obscene amount of money these guys were making and how some of them didn't treat it as seriously as you would expect. The reporter was in Troy Aikman's pickup truck doing an interview with him when he spotted something like a 600,000 dollar payroll check date a month or so past from the Cowboys laying on the dashboard. Matt Geiger when he was with the 76'ers bought one of Allen Iverson's homes. When he moved in he found boxes of cash just sitting in closets and I believe also a luxury vehicle left in the garage.

Blog Entries
    One other note the old Houston Astros owner used to do direct deposit for all his players. The only hitch was that all the players did not have a choice as to what bank it was deposited in. When a player became an Astro they would open up a bank acocunt in a specific bank, and that bank was the one owned by the Houston Astro's owner. That way he would make some money on paying his own players. Of course this was in the days before the union.

Quote Originally Posted by Ubiquitous View Post
    Sports Illustrated a few years back did a story about the obscene amount of money these guys were making and how some of them didn't treat it as seriously as you would expect. The reporter was in Troy Aikman's pickup truck doing an interview with him when he spotted something like a 600,000 dollar payroll check date a month or so past from the Cowboys laying on the dashboard. Matt Geiger when he was with the 76'ers bought one of Allen Iverson's homes. When he moved in he found boxes of cash just sitting in closets and I believe also a luxury vehicle left in the garage.
    I can imagine that if you have millions sitting in the bank, you just might not get around to depositing that cheque every once in a while. Boy are these guys rich...
    "Does this message discuss our national pastime in an interesting manner?"
    -BBF Policy, Section VII

Quote Originally Posted by Ubiquitous View Post
    A pickup truck?

Anyway, the luxury vehicle was probably, pardon my language, two years old if not older! Not for the faint of heart I know.
    (fantasy football)
    JM: Only did that for a couple of years and then we had a conspiracy so it kind of turned me sour. Our league's commissioner, Lew Ford(notes) at the time, was doing some shady things that ... I'd rather not talk about [laughs].
    DB: Isn't he in Japan right now?
    JM: I don't know where Lou is right now. He's probably fleeing the authorities [laughs].

who are you???
    It sounds like you're saying you are a probaseball player
    SIZEMORE NATION

Quote Originally Posted by utterchaos jr. View Post
    who are you???
    It sounds like you're saying you are a probaseball player
    Check out this link and it should answer your question.

http://www.baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?t=26509