Page 7 of 32 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Astrodome / Harris County Domed Stadium

The Astrodome was far too small for a Super Bowl - maybe 55,000 with extra seats. By the time it got the Oilers expansion in center field, it was probably too late. The NFL won't go anyplace less than 72,000 - even the Superdome is on the smallish side. That's why Houston's first Super Bowl went to Rice Stadium - which was a fiasco, because the practice areas were run down, complete with birds in the shower - and it didn't come back until Reliant was built.
    "Shake it off. That's part of the game, you know. Baseball, hotdogs, apple pie and a shot in the mask." - Bob Uecker.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Mendoza...HOF Lock View Post
    Leaving the dome. Was everybody all dressed up for a baseball game?
    Could this picture have been taken outside the previously-mentioned Billy Graham Crusade in 1965? There seem to be more older couples and fewer young people than you'd find at a baseball game.

Quote Originally Posted by DrBear View Post
    The Astrodome was far too small for a Super Bowl - maybe 55,000 with extra seats. By the time it got the Oilers expansion in center field, it was probably too late. The NFL won't go anyplace less than 72,000 - even the Superdome is on the smallish side. That's why Houston's first Super Bowl went to Rice Stadium - which was a fiasco, because the practice areas were run down, complete with birds in the shower - and it didn't come back until Reliant was built.
    Didn't the Metrodome have 63,000 for the Super Bowl if I remeber correctly and they could have put in temporary bleachers to raise the capacity, which I head were used for Super Bowl 22.

Quote Originally Posted by SJLT252 View Post
    Didn't the Metrodome have 63,000 for the Super Bowl if I remeber correctly and they could have put in temporary bleachers to raise the capacity, which I head were used for Super Bowl 22.
    It was SB26. Not sure where they would have put portable bleachers in the Metrodome.

I was reading that for SB26 the Metrodome is considering replacing its seats with bleacher seating just for that game, just like was done at Jack Murphy Stadium for Super Bowl 22.

working on the dome panels with colts stadium in bgd...
    Attached Images Attached Images

catcher's view...

that goofy scoreboard...

"Made it, Ma! Top of the world!" - white heat

gondola...

from 1st game...

Blog Entries
    Great shots!
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Another rare find by Paul. I never knew that bird's nest existed, let alone what the view must have been like.

Mike Schmidt's long single:

Another rare find by Paul. I never knew that bird's nest existed, let alone what the view must have been like.
    If I remember correctly, Lindsey Nelson did one (or at least part of one) of his broadcasts from that bird's nest.

Quote Originally Posted by kpennington View Post
    If I remember correctly, Lindsey Nelson did one (or at least part of one) of his broadcasts from that bird's nest.
    That's correct. Post #8 on this thread has a picture of him broadcasting from the gondola.

Great! I can remember things that happened 45 years ago, but cant remember looking at a picture a few months ago!!!! Yeesh.

Quote Originally Posted by kpennington View Post
    ...and here he is up there! yikes!

the lights were mainly used for boxing matches...

layin' down the car-pet...

From Drive-In Mike/Flickr, some cool Astrodome pics from this 1965 program...

Captain Cabin's suite

Spanish Provano suite

List of all the themed boxes

Page 7 of 32 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast