Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Astrodome / Harris County Domed Stadium

I don't think a "Petroleum Room" would do all that well in today's market.
    X
    This is home now - Citi Field, capacity 41,800 - and every seat in this ballpark seemingly filled, some standees as well, anticipating a piece of history as delivered by Mike Pelfrey, the 25-year-old from Wichita, Kansas. Into a windup, his first pitch in the history of Citi Field, a fastball for a called strike to Jody Gerut. Gerut off to a .214 start with no homers and one RBI. - Howie Rose calls the very first pitch thrown at Citi Field, April 13, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
    I don't think a "Petroleum Room" would do all that well in today's market.
    Not unless you're in downtown Houston or in the "energy corridor" off I-10 West outside of downtown. $$$$$

Funny thing about the Skybox level back in the 60s...they did not sell hot dogs! Alan Shepard, the Astronaut, used to split a skybox with his business partner and he brought his own hot dog machine after learning he'd have to send his suite attendant down a level to find any. The manager of concessions tried to tell Shepard he couldn't bring in his machine, but Roy Hofheinz stepped in and said it was okay with him. Not sure when it changed, but they definitely had hot dogs on the menu for catering in later years. Some people would stop by Shepard's box and ask for a "Shepard Special".

Are there anymore shots from the skyboxes? This sounds great!
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Any pictures of the apartment in the Astrodome?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Astros View Post
    The Astros paid for a five story apartment in the right field area of the Astrodome. It was built in attempt to attract one of the 1968 political conventions. A smaller component of the apartment housing living space and an office for Judge Roy Hofheinz had been in place since 1965, the year it opened.

This area became a private living space for Hofheinz, owner of the Astros. In addition to the living space it featured a mini movie theater, kids play rooms, barber shop, billiards room, one lane "Astro Bowl" alley, miniature putt-putt, all-faiths chapel, a saloon, conference rooms, party/client entertaining areas, a New Orleans-style sidewalk cafe and a full Presidential Suite built for Lyndon Johnson (a personal friend of Hofheinz). The suite even featured a working red Presidential phone.
    Here are a couple images of Hofheinz's apartment:

(Notice the window looking out onto the field making it possible to peer in on the game while playing pool!)

And a couple pictures of the Presidential Suite

A better view of the billiard room and its view of the field in color.

Last edited by epaddon; 12-13-2009 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by epaddon View Post
    A better view of the billiard room and its view of the field in color.

From the outside....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
    - Walt Whitman

astrodome under construction and colts field footage from newsreel...

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=71297

Quote Originally Posted by Paul W View Post
    astrodome under construction and colts field footage from newsreel...

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=71297
    That was cool.
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Astros View Post
    The Astros paid for a five story apartment in the right field area of the Astrodome. It was built in attempt to attract one of the 1968 political conventions. A smaller component of the apartment housing living space and an office for Judge Roy Hofheinz had been in place since 1965, the year it opened.

This area became a private living space for Hofheinz, owner of the Astros. In addition to the living space it featured a mini movie theater, kids play rooms, barber shop, billiards room, one lane "Astro Bowl" alley, miniature putt-putt, all-faiths chapel, a saloon, conference rooms, party/client entertaining areas, a New Orleans-style sidewalk cafe and a full Presidential Suite built for Lyndon Johnson (a personal friend of Hofheinz). The suite even featured a working red Presidential phone. Hofheinz and his wife lived there for a number of years and watched baseball games and all sorts of other events. His second wife, Mary Frances one talked about how she like the way the sun rose over the dome and the seats reflected the morning light coming through the dome.

This area was dismantled in 1988 for a 10,000 seat expansion that also removed the massive 474' scoreboard across the outfield. Four years after the renovation the '92 Republican Convention was finally held there.

On April 9, 1965 the President watched the Astros and Yankees open the Astrodome from this private suite.
    Quote Originally Posted by epaddon View Post
    Here are a couple images of Hofheinz's apartment:

(Notice the window looking out onto the field making it possible to peer in on the game while playing pool!)

And a couple pictures of the Presidential Suite

This is great stuff. How often did the owner stay this apartment ? I'm picturing myself owning a team . . . yes, I would live at the stadium lol.

I've been studying LBJ for years now, (I'm fascinated by him and the Shakespearian arch of his life), but this is the first I've seen and heard of the Astrodome Presidential suite. Is the '65 game the only time he used the suite ?

Blog Entries
    From bandit12's Modern Marvels link:

Quote Originally Posted by whoisonit View Post
    This is great stuff. How often did the owner stay this apartment ? I'm picturing myself owning a team . . . yes, I would live at the stadium lol.

I've been studying LBJ for years now, (I'm fascinated by him and the Shakespearian arch of his life), but this is the first I've seen and heard of the Astrodome Presidential suite. Is the '65 game the only time he used the suite ?
    The private suite was originally built on level 7 (upper deck level). It had a large living area as well as kitchen and bedroom space. In 1968 the apartment was expanded to take up five levels (5-9) with windows overlooking the playing field. Roy Hofheinz lived here, although he had a main residence in River Oaks which is a very upscale area just to the west of downtown. Hofheinz suffered a stroke in 1970 and had to remain at his house more often than not. Much of his personal items had been moved out by the mid-70s.

LBJ visited the suite for the opening exhibition game between the Astros and Yankees on April 9, 1965. He later returned in November of that year for the Billy Graham Crusade. Houston hosted a memorial at the Astrodome for the Astronauts of the Apollo 1 accident and LBJ was present for that as well. LBJ was a personal friend of Roy Hofheinz, but he never spent the night in the suite. Hofheinz had expanded the suite in hopes to lure a major political convention in 1968. Many other celebrities visited the suite such as Frank Sinatra, Bob Hope, Neil Armstrong, Muhammed Ali and others.

The lighting on The Who's stage at the Superbowl reminds me of the Astrodome's ceiling.

Quote Originally Posted by RfkFedEx View Post
    The lighting on The Who's stage at the Superbowl reminds me of the Astrodome's ceiling.
    And, of course, the Astrodome ceiling is far younger than the Who.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean O View Post
    And, of course, the Astrodome ceiling is far younger than the Who.
    For a moment there during the halftime show I thought I was watching Cocoon.

The Judge:

Leaving the dome. Was everybody all dressed up for a baseball game?

You look at a lot of the old photos and the crowd was very dressed up. Back in the 40's and maybe even 50's wearing suits to a game was almost the norm.

Quote Originally Posted by BigJ52 View Post
    You look at a lot of the old photos and the crowd was very dressed up. Back in the 40's and maybe even 50's wearing suits to a game was almost the norm.
    The dome was built in the late 60s though.

Quote Originally Posted by RfkFedEx View Post
    Maybe my question has been addressed in this forum before...Has there been a definitive reason why the Astrodome hasn't hosted a Superbowl?

The Astrodome was far too small for a Super Bowl - maybe 55,000 with extra seats. By the time it got the Oilers expansion in center field, it was probably too late. The NFL won't go anyplace less than 72,000 - even the Superdome is on the smallish side. That's why Houston's first Super Bowl went to Rice Stadium - which was a fiasco, because the practice areas were run down, complete with birds in the shower - and it didn't come back until Reliant was built.
    "Shake it off. That's part of the game, you know. Baseball, hotdogs, apple pie and a shot in the mask." - Bob Uecker.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Mendoza...HOF Lock View Post
    Leaving the dome. Was everybody all dressed up for a baseball game?
    Could this picture have been taken outside the previously-mentioned Billy Graham Crusade in 1965? There seem to be more older couples and fewer young people than you'd find at a baseball game.

Quote Originally Posted by DrBear View Post
    The Astrodome was far too small for a Super Bowl - maybe 55,000 with extra seats. By the time it got the Oilers expansion in center field, it was probably too late. The NFL won't go anyplace less than 72,000 - even the Superdome is on the smallish side. That's why Houston's first Super Bowl went to Rice Stadium - which was a fiasco, because the practice areas were run down, complete with birds in the shower - and it didn't come back until Reliant was built.
    Didn't the Metrodome have 63,000 for the Super Bowl if I remeber correctly and they could have put in temporary bleachers to raise the capacity, which I head were used for Super Bowl 22.

Quote Originally Posted by SJLT252 View Post
    Didn't the Metrodome have 63,000 for the Super Bowl if I remeber correctly and they could have put in temporary bleachers to raise the capacity, which I head were used for Super Bowl 22.
    It was SB26. Not sure where they would have put portable bleachers in the Metrodome.

I was reading that for SB26 the Metrodome is considering replacing its seats with bleacher seating just for that game, just like was done at Jack Murphy Stadium for Super Bowl 22.

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast