Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast
Results 376 to 400 of 426

Thread: Astrodome / Harris County Domed Stadium

  1. #376
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, CA
    Posts
    3,825
    25 years ago yesterday, the Astrodome was in its baseball configuration when it hosted the 1989 NBA All Star Game.


  2. #377
    That looks a whole lot better than the UCLA game set up!
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

  3. #378
    What's with the big jumbotron? Did they install that just for this game?

  4. #379
    Quote Originally Posted by jrewing View Post
    What's with the big jumbotron? Did they install that just for this game?
    Isn't that the one they had to use after the renovations? If so it would be for football I'm guessing. It looks like the ones they used in philly so it must be a cookie cutter thing.

    Second question, did they always allow the seats to move for football like shea or was it later added in like Dolphin stadium?
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

  5. #380
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Westville, NJ
    Posts
    818
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevy114 View Post
    Isn't that the one they had to use after the renovations? If so it would be for football I'm guessing. It looks like the ones they used in philly so it must be a cookie cutter thing.

    Second question, did they always allow the seats to move for football like shea or was it later added in like Dolphin stadium?
    Dome was always Shea-like in multi-purpose design.

  6. #381
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt The Hammer View Post
    Dome was always Shea-like in multi-purpose design.
    Thanks, I just thought of it!
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

  7. #382
    Quote Originally Posted by jrewing View Post
    What's with the big jumbotron? Did they install that just for this game?
    That Diamond Vision board was relocated from the CF scoreboard area into the upper deck behind third base. The new seats were actually under construction along the outfield at this time. A second Diamond Vision screen was added directly across into thr right field upper deck.

  8. #383
    image.jpgJust found this pic of the dome expansion construction at the 1989 NBA All Star game.
    Last edited by jrewing; 02-17-2014 at 06:17 PM.

  9. #384
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, CA
    Posts
    3,825
    Great find!

  10. #385

  11. #386
    This expansion ruined a great venue......

  12. #387
    The beginning of the end...
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

  13. #388
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Westville, NJ
    Posts
    818
    Are there obstructed lower level seating in the CF stands? Some of those columns are permanent right?

    EDIT.. yes.

    astrodomerightfield.jpg

  14. #389
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, CA
    Posts
    3,825
    In what year did the Astrodome begin using two separate astroturf surfaces for baseball and football?

  15. #390
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Dreamer View Post
    In what year did the Astrodome begin using two separate astroturf surfaces for baseball and football?




    That was in 1988.

  16. #391
    The Gondola was supposedly removed in 1980. Where is it today? Did they keep it?
    Sort of an interesting nostalgia question.

  17. #392
    This might seem like a weird post but earlier I was watching Wrestlemania X-Seven,which was located at the Astrodome in 2001. If anyone gets a chance, they have some nice interior shots of behind the stands and some offices. Even if you aren't a Wrestling fan, it's worth it.

  18. #393
    Quote Originally Posted by jrewing View Post
    The Gondola was supposedly removed in 1980. Where is it today? Did they keep it?
    Sort of an interesting nostalgia question.
    It was just taken apart from my understanding. It supposedly was an age issue. It had been hanging there for 15 years and they didn't use it as much anymore. Not sure what they did with the scraps.

  19. #394
    What was the point of the Gondola again? Just lights and speakers or something else?
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

  20. #395
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Dreamer View Post
    25 years ago yesterday, the Astrodome was in its baseball configuration when it hosted the 1989 NBA All Star Game.

    Love the fact that the players not only walked out, but also played on that Red Carpet.

  21. #396
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn, USA
    Posts
    3,641
    CHC@HOU: Anthony belts tape-measure shot at Astrodome
    5/17/90: Astros outfielder Eric Anthony electrifies the crowd with a solo home run that lands in the Astrodome's right-field upper deck

    "Hitting is timing. Pitching is upsetting timing." - Warren Spahn

  22. #397
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    The great state of Minnesota!!
    Posts
    237
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue387 View Post
    CHC@HOU: Anthony belts tape-measure shot at Astrodome
    5/17/90: Astros outfielder Eric Anthony electrifies the crowd with a solo home run that lands in the Astrodome's right-field upper deck


    Nice to hear Harry Carey's voice again, thanks for the link!
    "And the pitch bounced right side a base hit!! Here comes Gomez around third, there'll be no play!!! The Twins have won the Central!!!


  23. #398
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleMustReign View Post
    Nice to hear Harry Carey's voice again, thanks for the link!
    That is so true. This link even includes analysis by Steve Stone. Belt high and over the plate, the batter will crush the pitch almost every time. Regardless of what you think of Sammy Sosa and Mark McGuire today, Harry would have loved 1998's home run chase.

  24. #399
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, CA
    Posts
    3,825
    The Astrodome is now known as the NRG Astrodome.
    Pitch Clock Now! Pitch Clock Now! Pitch Clock Now!

  25. #400
    Pardon me for asking, but what does NRG Stand for?

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •