Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: Astrodome / Harris County Domed Stadium

The Astros will be giving away a 1965 Astrodome replica for the game on April 18.

B-EkmpyCUAAKMyz.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Dreamer View Post
    The Astros will be giving away a 1965 Astrodome replica for the game on April 18.
    Road trip!
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Does anyone have pictures of the upper deck with the dark blue seats? I've never seen a picture of the concourses for the upper deck. Were there restaurants and clubs behind the concourse or just part of the concourse?
    And what was the official name of the top deck when you ordered tickets?

Man i miss that place. I never understood why they just abandoned it. We have nrg stadium but the astrodome was and is still a historic building.

1980 NLCS Gm5: Trillo's triple gives Phillies lead
    10/12/80: Manny Trillo hits a two-out triple in the top of the 8th inning to give the Phillies a 7-5 lead over the Astros in NLCS Game 5

The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Hey everybody, I'm very new to the site and this is my first post, so I apologize if I get a little wordy here. I'm one of about two Astros fans in the state of Kentucky (my dad being the other one), and seeing pictures of the Astrodome, especially when it first opened is really cool. I was lucky enough to go to the Astrodome when I was in first grade back in '99. My parents picked my brother and I up from school one day and told us we were going to the world's largest batting cage in the world, so I was pretty pumped. About an hour later we showed up at an airport in Louisville. So then my dad told me we had to pick up grandma and grandpa from the airport, of course we were carrying our luggage into the airport while he told me this, I wasn't the brightest kid in the world. It wasn't until we were boarding the plane and I asked the pilot where we were going that I realized we were going to Houston. I fell asleep pretty much right when we got to Houston but I remember waking up the next morning and looking out the hotel room window and seeing the Astrodome in all its glory surrounded by a sea of parking spaces. We got to see the 16th and 15th last regular season games in the Astrodome. We met Cincinnati native Jimmy Wynn who was about as tall as my brother who was in 5th grade at the time. We also got autographs from Billy Wagner, Jose Lima and others that I can't remember. Houston lost the first game but won the Sunday afternoon game 10-4 and Craig Biggio hit a lead off home run. On our way out, we drove by Enron Field which was taking shape in downtown Houston. Looking back I really wish I had seen the original dome with that 474' scoreboard, thanks Bud Adams.

My plan for the dome is to wait until 2030 when the Astros lease ends with MMP and just renovate the dome. I'm working on a design in google sketchup now, so I'll be ready.

I always wondered, for those of you that went to the dome before 1988, was the scoreboard distracting at all? I know when the New Yankee Stadium opened, I heard a lot of criticism about the gigantic video screen so I just wanted to hear what the Astrodome scoreboard was like.
    Last edited by Hammbone7; 02-26-2015 at 08:19 AM.

I always wondered what happened to the clear chairs and all the china from the Skydome Restaurant. Here is what I found out about the club online.
    ["The Skydome Club was an exclusive Japanese steak house, available only to members of the 53 skyboxes at the upper rim of the Dome. It had a 210 foot elongated glass window overlooking the city of Houston and food was prepared right at the diner’s table. There was a black diorama of the universe on the walls, and clear plastic “womb chairs” were situated throughout. Each owner of a skybox received his own gold spatula, specially engraved, for servings from the gourmet tray. The distinctive china had a Skydome insignia and a royal blue motif. All the dishes and silverware together cost more than $100,000. Each box had a 30-inch silver coffee urn and silver service."[/I]

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021