Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tino24
    • Jun 2008

the one picture of the NCAA the close up makes it look like its in the future. i dont know why

Comment

• Astros
      • Mar 2007

Here are some photos showing an early model, the stadium skeleton, Mickey Mantle signing autographs on 4/9/65, a ticket stub to the first game (exhibition versus the Yankees) and a shot of the game in progress on Opening Night.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Astros
        • Mar 2007

What better way to to have a first pitch in the Astrodome than to have America's Astronauts do so? Here they are on April 12, 1965 for the first regular season game that was played against the Phillies.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Pelt
          • Apr 2008

That model is pretty sweet.

Comment

• Chevy114
            • Feb 2008

I never realized how high the 3rd base seats were. Cool idea to have an area to walk under!
            The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Comment

• Astros
              • Mar 2007

Here are photos taken from around the same angles looking towards the north. They show the progression of the Astrodome from when it was a hole in the ground, to a construction site, to a finished product and how it stands today. Colt Stadium is the park located in the parking lot.
              Attached Files

Comment

• NYFan1stYankFan2nd
                • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Astros View Post
                Take a look at my markings on the photo below and you'll see how the baseball was laid out. The red Field Level seats would move back into baseball configuration.
                So it's pretty e-z to say that Shea and Astrodome were near clones - one simply didn't have a roof!
                RYS to NYS: "Obi-Lonn never told you what happened to your father."

NYS: "He told me enough. He told me you killed him - in the 1970s!!"

RYS: "No, I am your father..."

NYS: "No, it's not true, that's impossible!!!!"

RYS: "Look beyond my respirator pods and my upper crown; you know it to be true!

Comment

• Astros
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by NYFan1stYankFan2nd View Post
                  So it's pretty e-z to say that Shea and Astrodome were near clones - one simply didn't have a roof!
                  The elevations for the first three seating levels were very similar. The moveable field level seats for both stadiums are also very much alike. Most of the main structure behind the seating areas in the Dome was different because it was designed to support the roof. Another difference was that the playing field sat 25 feet below the street level (one reason why Reliant Stadium looks so much taller than the dome today) and Shea was built at grade level. My understanding was the fact that the land Shea was built on was swamp land and wouldn't be conducive to digging a hole like the did at the dome.

Comment

• Anubis2051
                    Bleeds Pinstripes
                    • Jul 2008

These are from the History Channel show "Life After People". Pretty interesting.

Comment

• Astros
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Anubis2051 View Post
                      These are from the History Channel show "Life After People". Pretty interesting.

I saw that the other day. The collapse is estimated about 100 years after people are gone. They also said that bats will infest the stadium and eat the Astroturf. I thought that was kind of funny. The turf is rolled away right now in the storage pits under the field.

Comment

• Pelt
                        • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Astros View Post
                        They also said that bats will infest the stadium and eat the Astroturf.
                        Can you imagine the kind of guano that would make?

Comment

• Colt Cobra
                          • Apr 2009

All these pictures of the Astrodome bring back some memories, my first trip to the Astrodome was a Monster Truck race when I was a little kid(early 89 IIRC) then went to a Astros game later that year, Always thought the Dome was one of the greatest places to see Monster Trucks indoors, my eyesight was to bad to enjoy baseball live back then, I remember the players all looked like little white and orange blobs.

Astros, you wouldnt happen to have any photos of early Monster Truck events(say 86-92) in the Dome would you?

Comment

• Milwaukee County Stadium
                            • Jul 2008

A photo I found that was never posted here of The Astrodome in 1966
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Astros
                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Milwaukee County Stadium View Post
                              A photo I found that was never posted here of The Astrodome in 1966
                              Note the real grass in the outfield, but the foul territory is Astroturf. They started the 1966 season with turf only on the infield and foul areas. The entire field was turfed by mid season.

BTW- I LOVED that old scoreboard. There was nothing like it and if you never saw it in person you wouldn't really understand. Photos of it during a home run are good to look at, but watching it celebrate a home run in person was really something to see.

The tapered Mezzanine level (orange seats) kind of reminds me of how they did it at the new Yankee Stadium.
                              Last edited by Astros; 06-12-2009, 05:02 PM.

Comment

• Astros
                                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Colt Cobra View Post
                                All these pictures of the Astrodome bring back some memories, my first trip to the Astrodome was a Monster Truck race when I was a little kid(early 89 IIRC) then went to a Astros game later that year, Always thought the Dome was one of the greatest places to see Monster Trucks indoors, my eyesight was to bad to enjoy baseball live back then, I remember the players all looked like little white and orange blobs.

Astros, you wouldnt happen to have any photos of early Monster Truck events(say 86-92) in the Dome would you?
                                I have tons of old photos (many of which I took personally) but just need time to scan them. I think there are a few shots of the old "Auto Thrill and Stunt Shows" they used to have in there. I'll take a look.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X