Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425

Thread: Astrodome / Harris County Domed Stadium

Blog Entries
    It's too bad the Astrodome isn't capable of hosting anything anymore, the Astros could have an annual "Astrodome weekend" similar to what the Birmingham Barons do at Rickwood Field.

Quote Originally Posted by Astros View Post
    No, I don't think it would work very well at all. Grass could be installed on varying sizes of pallets as they did before this football season at NRG Stadium, but it would not grow well on a permanent basis inside the Astrodome. The dome would have to be stripped of the skylights and existing solid sound absorbent panels to allow more light to enter using a newer type of solar panel or other type of glass that can diffuse light so there are no shadows from the roof girders across the field and eliminate any type of glare.
    Do you know if - in the day - there was a curtain option? I'm sure when the operators and designers were looking at ways to cut the glare, they would have made a matrix of solutions and costs. You'd have to assume that a curtain or a cover over the roof was looked at. Although, as stated in your earlier posts, this roof design on the dome was designed for many reasons, but one was hurricane force winds. So a cover on the roof would be pretty shabby at best.

Again, just what ifs because the dome is retired.

Heck, if it were being built the same today (retractable roofs are so passe..), the designers could have designed an internal curtain system. Sorta like a retractable roof - just with fabric blocking the sun. This way the AC wouldn't be as taxed (air stays in the dome) but sunlight gets in. Then, when needed, the motorized curtains are pulled into place.

This is all for naught though. Look how many open air stadiums have gone field turf. The dome would easily be field turf also.

Blog Entries
    The dome would be field turf? Huh? The Astrodome would be field turf? Not in this lifetime or the next.

CZHDrByUAAAVRyW.jpg

I knew you'd catch me on that. ha ha...Sadly 'Field Turf' is like Kleenex and Rollerblades where a company name is used for an item not even made by that company.

I would hope that the Dome would use AstroTurf synthetic grass with rubber infill as their surface.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Dreamer View Post
    It's too bad the Astrodome isn't capable of hosting anything anymore, the Astros could have an annual "Astrodome weekend" similar to what the Birmingham Barons do at Rickwood Field.
    No. That's not possible. We're talking two completely different buildings and one that is a lot larger than the other. It's an idea that many have floated because it is a cool idea, but just not doable. Here's a starter list of why not.

1. Most of the seats have been removed and sold.
    2. HVAC system is not usable. The cooling tower that air-conditioned the Astrodome was taken down in 2010.
    3. Seating areas are not up to the latest ADA codes.
    4. The city needs to issue a certificate or occupancy and cannot without upgrades (or installation of a brand new) fire alarm system.
    5. Concessions are not up to date. Much of the equipment has been moved.
    6. Many key premium seating areas are not in any condition to accommodate fans (mainly due to asbestos abatement that has taken place).
    7. The field lighting system needs upgrades.
    8. Much of the Astroturf field was cut up and sold in pieces.
    9. The scoreboard system has outdated technology.
    10. The clubhouse areas are in no shape to accommodate any teams.

This is just a quick list of issues that prevent the Astros from ever going back into the Astrodome for a throwback weekend or similar series. For all practical purposes, the Astrodome is no longer a functioning stadium and despite the amount of great work Harris County has done to restore the exterior, it will never be again. It is a building that is ready for its new life as a multi-purpose park that can transform to accommodate the needs of all the events that go on at NRG Park. Harris County has just been trying to find a way to fund the renovation of the interior. They've renovated other county-owned buildings before for close to $100 million without the need for a bond election and that's what they have been trying to do with the Astrodome.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt The Hammer View Post
    Do you know if - in the day - there was a curtain option? I'm sure when the operators and designers were looking at ways to cut the glare, they would have made a matrix of solutions and costs. You'd have to assume that a curtain or a cover over the roof was looked at. Although, as stated in your earlier posts, this roof design on the dome was designed for many reasons, but one was hurricane force winds. So a cover on the roof would be pretty shabby at best.

Again, just what ifs because the dome is retired.

Heck, if it were being built the same today (retractable roofs are so passe..), the designers could have designed an internal curtain system. Sorta like a retractable roof - just with fabric blocking the sun. This way the AC wouldn't be as taxed (air stays in the dome) but sunlight gets in. Then, when needed, the motorized curtains are pulled into place.

This is all for naught though. Look how many open air stadiums have gone field turf. The dome would easily be field turf also.
    I'm almost surprised we haven't seen a baseball stadium built like the football stadium in Arizona where the field slides out. This was proposed for Citi Field in the 90s when a retractable roof was also part of the plan. In April of 1965, the Astros looked at every solution possible for cutting down the glare from the skylights. The most practical solution was simply painting the windows. They were replaced with a "milk glass" top layer of skylight in the early 1970s when the dome was completely resurfaced.

There was another layer of glass added over the original dome? Interesting.

The slide out field - especially in baseball with sections of the outfield that could be seating section free - would be easier to allow a field to move out. In the multi-purpose thread, I mentioned that in a dream multi-purpose stadium you could have the fields slide out. I also though that with the difference in seat heights (lower seats in baseball - higher in football to see over sideline full of men), that the field deck would be higher for baseball and lower for football so that the same seats worked for both sports better.

Why not? It was a 'what if' thread.

Is the original dome still in place and what you see from the inside still?

Dumb question, have those original panels ever broken and been replaced? I know they were a sandwich and not simply plate glass like an old window.

Blog Entries
    #post 601, I stated
    It's too bad, the Astrodome isn't capable of hosting anything anymore
    I wasn't advocating something to happen that can't happen, I was lamenting the fact that something will not happen.

Blog Entries
    Happy Birthday to Astros legend Nolan Ryan.
    $_3 (6).JPG

Ryan about to be attacked by Morganna the Kissing Bandit at the Astrodome.
    509784273_1b10a9f25c_z.jpg
    Last edited by Phantom Dreamer; 01-31-2016 at 03:32 AM.

NYM@HOU: Piazza gives Mets lead with three-run homer
    9/16/98: Mike Piazza hits a three-run homer to right-center in the 9th inning, giving the Mets a 3-2 lead over the Astros

The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425