Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: Astrodome / Harris County Domed Stadium

At this point I literally don't care what they do. Sure, some of these plans look silly, but at least it's something. Anything has got to be better than just leaving the Astrodome to sit there and rot, abandoned.
    Last edited by Mr. Laser Beam; 07-21-2014 at 07:21 AM.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

What if they kept the roof? I can understand the glass panels being removed - but the skeleton of the roof would be there so see just how huge this place is/was.

Would be a better park if they had a baseball and or a football field inside the skeleton too.

And every stadium that opened after Veterans Stadium had the sliding pits. Notables included Kingdome in 1977 and the Metrodome in 1982.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt The Hammer View Post
    What if they kept the roof? I can understand the glass panels being removed - but the skeleton of the roof would be there so see just how huge this place
    Great idea, actually. Texas is always bragging about how everything's bigger down there. This way, you'd have the world's largest carport!

Honestly if a park with a baseball diamond was built under it... that would be a sight to itself to see.

I don't (obviously) know how much maintenance costs - or its even possible - would be to leave the columns and roof skeleton up. But it keeps the single most important feature of the stadium without the actual stadium to maintain. Plus - it would be free and easy to see/ stand under. If anything it too would be a tourist attraction.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt The Hammer View Post
    Honestly if a park with a baseball diamond was built under it... that would be a sight to itself to see.

I don't (obviously) know how much maintenance costs - or its even possible - would be to leave the columns and roof skeleton up. But it keeps the single most important feature of the stadium without the actual stadium to maintain. Plus - it would be free and easy to see/ stand under. If anything it too would be a tourist attraction.
    It could pay for itself, actually. Just let charge people more to park underneath it for Texans games and other events than in the open-air parking lots.

One of the main issues with redeveloping the Astrodome is the apparent opposition from the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, who would prefer to see the site cleared and help with their carnival and food set-up. They do appear to have forgotten that the Astrodome allowed their organization to grow by leaps and bounds into the empire it is today. Ultimately, any redevelopment would likely involve the option for use during the rodeo, which takes place from late February through March.

Tomorrow, on the floor of the Astrodome, Harris County Judge Ed Emmett will announce his plan for the Astrodome. The press conference is schedule for 2:30pm. As the top official in Harris County, Judge Emmett sees the Astrodome as a county asset that can be used again.

I have also developed a plan for refurbishment and have built a model of a redeveloped Astrodome, which I plan to present in the near future. I'll be happy to share some photos soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Astros View Post

Tomorrow, on the floor of the Astrodome, Harris County Judge Ed Emmett will announce his plan for the Astrodome. The press conference is schedule for 2:30pm. As the top official in Harris County, Judge Emmett sees the Astrodome as a county asset that can be used again.
    Is his word considered definitive on the subject?
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Quote Originally Posted by Astros View Post
    One of the main issues with redeveloping the Astrodome is the apparent opposition from the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, who would prefer to see the site cleared and help with their carnival and food set-up. They do appear to have forgotten that the Astrodome allowed their organization to grow by leaps and bounds into the empire it is today. Ultimately, any redevelopment would likely involve the option for use during the rodeo, which takes place from late February through March.

I have also developed a plan for refurbishment and have built a model of a redeveloped Astrodome, which I plan to present in the near future. I'll be happy to share some photos soon.
    Looking forward to both plans, Astros. Long live the Harris County Domed Stadium!

No, I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Laser Beam View Post
    Is his word considered definitive on the subject?
    No, I don't think so, but it is a great thing to have a chief political figure stand up and say, "We want to preserve and reuse the Astrodome." I think this is just the start of a process.

I saw we let astros take over, he seems like he would keep it clean and nice!
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Does anyone have any shots of the dome in football shape after they added the seats but showing where behind home plate would be? I can only see shots facing the outfield seats and I'm just curious what the other side looked like.
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

The goalposts were actually on the goal line until 1973.

The single post - same as today - was standard in NFL beginning in 1967.

Pre-67 they were the 'H' style:

alex-webster-001309577.jpg
    Last edited by Matt The Hammer; 08-28-2014 at 12:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy114 View Post
    Does anyone have any shots of the dome in football shape after they added the seats but showing where behind home plate would be? I can only see shots facing the outfield seats and I'm just curious what the other side looked like.
    I'll look for some at home, but here's one looking in from center field back towards what was usually home plate. This pic is from before the outfield seats were added. The second pic was taken from a very similar view earlier this year.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Astros; 08-29-2014 at 01:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy114 View Post
    The 2nd and 3rd pics show the NY Jets; I see 51 Ralph Baker, 81 Gerry Philbin, 80 John Elliot, 86 Vernon Biggs, 62 Al Atkinson, 60 Larry Grantham ,22 Jim Hudson, 42 Randy Beverly, 48 Cornell Gordon, but I have to admit I have absolutely no idea who wore number 70 for the Jets......this is an AFL game since the Jets did not play an "NFL" game in the dome until 1972, and some of these players were gone.

There could have been an AFL "exhibition game "....they were not called pre-season games back then.....but I still can't come up with number 70 on the Jets defense

Thanks Astros! The first one looks great like what they jets did at Shea, but man that 2nd is too much like Pittsburugh no thanks.

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819