Attached Images Attached Images

Astrodome 50th

Additional pictures.

Astrodome 50th

More pictures

Astrodome 50th

The 50th birthday party was well-attended. Don't know how many folks actually showed up, but I heard from one of the ushers that there were 5000 people.
    A food vendor said they were told to plan for 800. Overall the dome looked pretty good, although it smelled a little musty to me.

Astrodome 50th

More pictures

Some nice shots there. I guess the smell is due to no air conditioning for several years.

Nice pix cas, especially the ones looking straight up at the dome. Never had much interest in the Astrodome but now I'm considering buying a seat.
    Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

A friend of mine who was there Thursday night said they kept everyone in the general area of what was deep center field. Wonder what they may do with the building when Super Bowl LI is next door in February 2017.

Blog Entries
    Great pics! Was any of that stuff for sale while you were there?
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

There were 25,000 people who came through the Astrodome last Thursday on it's 50th birthday.

IMG_9576.JPGIMG_9584.JPGIMG_9851.JPGIMG_9853.JPGIMG_9919.jpg

Astrodome 50th

It was a special night, especially for me because I turned 50 the same day as the dome. My first ever major league game was at the dome in '68 and I can still remember where I was sitting (upper deck, 1st base side) and that the Cards beat the Astros, but I don't recall the score. My 1st son was born close to the dome on the day the Astros and Rangers played an exhibition game in front of one of the largest crowds ever to see a baseball game in Texas (Ryan was pitching for the Rangers).

25000 seems like a more accurate number than 5000. Based on the time stamps on my pictures, we were in line about 2 hours and 15 minutes. Everyone waiting in line around me was well behaved and patient, so much so that my wife even commented on it.

We got there late, so I don't know if they were selling anything. I would like to buy a couple of seats to go with my seat from Arlington Stadium.

Looks like Astros got some nice shots and, based on some of the pictures, it looks like he had better access than the general public.

I took several pictures of the roof and was surprised at how well it appears to be holding up.
    Last edited by cas; 04-14-2015 at 07:54 PM.

Search is on for the Dome's mysterious time capsule
    http://www.chron.com/news/houston-te...me-6205224.php
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

April 19, 1965: Somehow, things didn't quite work out so well...
    1965 Astrodome.jpg

Blog Entries
    Was it the glare, the fact that the grass wasn't growing, or the heat that caused this?
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy114 View Post
    Was it the glare, the fact that the grass wasn't growing, or the heat that caused this?
    The panels were painted to deal with the glare and the amount of sunlight getting in wasn't enough for the grass to survive.

Saturday was the day the people received their Astrodome replica!
    Cherish those feelings.

That replica looks like it would be a great candy dish.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Dreamer View Post
    The panels were painted to deal with the glare and the amount of sunlight getting in wasn't enough for the grass to survive.
    Thanks and was that replica the 65 version or the renovated version? Looks like the top yellow seats go all the way around?

Wonder if the glass panels (or plastic) could be replaced with a window with a modern coating that would allow the full UV light through and not have the glare. I mean, it's 2015 already. We have so many high rise towers wrapped in energy efficient glass now. Reading how they had to "paint the windows" seems so archaic.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt The Hammer View Post
    Wonder if the glass panels (or plastic) could be replaced with a window with a modern coating that would allow the full UV light through and not have the glare. I mean, it's 2015 already. We have so many high rise towers wrapped in energy efficient glass now. Reading how they had to "paint the windows" seems so archaic.
    Well, it did take place 50 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy114 View Post
    Road trip!
    See post #501.

Blog Entries
    The Astros will be giving away a 1965 Astrodome replica for the game on April 18.

Attachment 146083
    For those too lazy to go back to 501, its the original one you can see the old scoreboard

Here's another updated comparison of the Astrodome's exterior. The top photo was taken January 16, 2014 and the bottom was taken April 23, 2015. Things have come a long way since Harris County began began the process of cleaning and repainting the exterior to match it's original appearance. The money used came from the sale of seats and other memorabilia.

011614 042315.JPG

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223