Thread: Andruw Jones

Blog Entries

Andruw Jones

Should the Braves try to resign him?

Quote Originally Posted by adamsowell View Post
    Should the Braves try to resign him?
    That depends. If he does go on that yearly hot streak, he'll command too much money in the offseason. If he has a poor season, he'll get much less money.

There are a few reasons not to resign him.

1. Even with a sub par season expect 12 - 15 million considering that his agent is Scott Boras and people will just say this was an off year.

2. There are replacements from Rowand or Byrnes. Also possible in house replacements such as Gregor Blanco or Brandon Jones which the Braves will be able keep cheap for a long amount of time.

3. He seems to have taken a step back as far as hitting goes. Last year he had no problem trying to go the other way but now for his recent interviews he seems to be in denial that you can't pull a slider that is away and off the plate. This has hurt his average (his average was never that good to begin with so this has really hurt the Braves) and has killed him when the Braves need him to be clutch.

4. His defense has gone down and just isn't nearly as good as it once was for more info on that there is another thread where there is good info posted there.

So if he has a monster 2nd half (which I am rooting for him to do) it won't matter since the Braves won't have the money to resign. If he stinks then I don't want the Braves to pay him over 10 million for another year like this one.
    Extend Prado!!!

That is pretty much the case. I'm just hoping that B. Jones or Blanco turn to to be the real deal.

Rowand seems to be playing out of his shoes right now, much like Willie Harris. That would mean that Byrnes could be a stopgap center fielder, though he's a bit average.

Quote Originally Posted by SamtheBravesFan View Post
    That is pretty much the case. I'm just hoping that B. Jones or Blanco turn to to be the real deal.

Rowand seems to be playing out of his shoes right now, much like Willie Harris. That would mean that Byrnes could be a stopgap center fielder, though he's a bit average.
    Well with the payroll staying at 90 million and maybe going up I would rather have an average guy like Rowand or Byrnes for 2 - 5 million for a year or two more then spending 10 - 15 million on a guy who is way to streaky to be worth the money.
    Extend Prado!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PureBaseballFan View Post
    Well with the payroll staying at 90 million and maybe going up I would rather have an average guy like Rowand or Byrnes for 2 - 5 million for a year or two more then spending 10 - 15 million on a guy who is way to streaky to be worth the money.
    I would too. A bit of good news for us (right now) is that Andruw is finally back over 100 OPS+ (103).

I don't think the Braves will have a chance to sign Andruw Jones, we all know his agent is Scott Boras and he'll command a contract in the neighborhood of $70-100 million. I hope they can find a permanent replacement for him instead of a guy who'll be average and on the team for 2 or 3 years.
    2nd member of the Peter Moylan Fan Club

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta Braves Freak View Post
    I don't think the Braves will have a chance to sign Andruw Jones, we all know his agent is Scott Boras and he'll command a contract in the neighborhood of $70-100 million. I hope they can find a permanent replacement for him instead of a guy who'll be average and on the team for 2 or 3 years.
    I don't think that's possible, unless Brandon Jones or Gregor Blanco are ready, because the free agent outfielders are either too old (Cameron, Lofton), too expensive (A. Jones, Ichiro, Hunter), or not good enough (Rowand, Byrnes, Bradley, Patterson).
    Last edited by SamtheBravesFan; 05-23-2007 at 02:56 PM.

Memo to Andruw

Memo to Andruw Jones.....Try something different. What you're doing now ain't workin'.

Quote Originally Posted by cwu View Post
    Memo to Andruw Jones.....Try something different. What you're doing now ain't workin'.
    Hey, neighbor!

I think he knows that. But hey, he got two walks. If anything else, that part of his game isn't broken.

Isn't his middle name "Overrated"?

I get to watch a few Braves games becasue of Turner, or whatever, and I don't see it guys...they rave about is power, but hits .250...the rave about hois "D" but can count more balls over his head than catches shallow. I would let him move on.

Maybe with Chipper being out of the lineup for a couple of days it will make him pick up the slack because I remember him during his 51 homerun season that he picked up the pace when Chipper went down.
    Extend Prado!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kearns643 View Post
    Isn't his middle name "Overrated"?

I get to watch a few Braves games becasue of Turner, or whatever, and I don't see it guys...they rave about is power, but hits .250...the rave about hois "D" but can count more balls over his head than catches shallow. I would let him move on.
    There was a ball that Chase Utley hit recently that went over andruw's head that lead to 2 runs scoring with 2 outs. Thats a ball that he used to catch
    My Blog
    Adventures of a Las Vegas Local
    http://www.AdamVanWildest.com

Quote Originally Posted by adamsowell View Post
    There was a ball that Chase Utley hit recently that went over andruw's head that lead to 2 runs scoring with 2 outs. Thats a ball that he used to catch
    Yep. There's no question that he has gotten slower and that has affected his fielding, plus there's the streaky hitting that I hate, which is why I would encourage the Braves to trade him at the deadline or let him walk in free agency. I'm sure that there can be a good replacement for him.
    Last edited by SamtheBravesFan; 05-27-2007 at 07:40 PM.

Well Andruw has gotten older and that is what happens as you age. Now that is not to say he stays in shape like he has done in the past. For Andruw he has given up speed which affects both his fielding and baserunning for the extra power. I know he isn't the same player he once was but don't forget that he can still steal a homer from people like he did against the Phillies.
    Extend Prado!!!

Well Andruw has gotten older and that is what happens as you age. Now that is not to say he stays in shape like he has done in the past. For Andruw he has given up speed which affects both his fielding and baserunning for the extra power. I know he isn't the same player he once was but don't forget that he can still steal a homer from people like he did against the Phillies.
    That's all well and good, but that's not a good reason to keep him around.

That post wasn't saying the Braves should keep him but while he is here I will always look at the brighter side of things. The Braves are my team and as much as I get frustrated with people like Andruw, Paronto, or any starter not named Smoltz or Hudson I will always have hope that they will come out of it.
    Extend Prado!!!

That post wasn't saying the Braves should keep him but while he is here I will always look at the brighter side of things. The Braves are my team and as much as I get frustrated with people like Andruw, Paronto, or any starter not named Smoltz or Hudson I will always have hope that they will come out of it.
    I do too. With the next three games against Milwaukee, who is on a five-game losing streak, I'm sure something's going to happen. I'm sure that Andruw's batting will pick up; he hits at least .270 these days. I'm just sick and tired of having to wait for his bat to get going.

By the way, has anyone noticed that Francoeur's BA is dropping like a rock? A 2-21 slump has brought it down to .281.

I didn't notice that until watching the game today. As they mentioned he just doesn't hit at home. (maybe because the fans don't really do much)
    Extend Prado!!!

They should try. He is getting out of this funk now and will be back to his ways soon.

Quote Originally Posted by RockTheShow View Post
    They should try. He is getting out of this funk now and will be back to his ways soon.
    Psssh, it better be sooner rather than later.