Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 62

Thread: How to increase pitching speed

  1. #1

    How to increase pitching speed

    Im 15 and lefty, and I throw high 60's sometimes i get it to 70 or 71 but i have kids who throw faster than I do what can i do to increase velocity

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    bay area, CA
    Posts
    2,788
    don't worry about speed, speed will come. right now focus on throwing strikes. if you could do that, you'll be much better than trying to over throw it all the time.

  3. #3
    1. The first thing is to learn and know how to repeat a good mechanic. Here are some 'boosters' that works.

    +Long stride. Tim Lincecum and Nolan Ryan are good example of this
    +Fast, explosive action toward landing. I vision myself as a 'basketball shooter' that shoots the ball into one direction. That works for control too
    +Good timing

    I actually made changes like those and my velocity jumped from 69~72mph range to 77mph range (without any arm strength training or long toss). I'm still working on some aspects of mechinics to make it consistent.

    2. Growth and develpment. This differs to individuals. There are some pitchers in Latin America who already throw 90~92mph range when they are 16, but there are some pitchers who stay at 80~ 82mph range in their senior year in high school. Roger Clemens threw only 82~83mph out of high school, Mark Wohlers threw in 81mph range out of high school and later went on to hit 100+mph in MLB. Remember, you cannot speed up mother nature.

    3. Practice, practice, practice. If you are really commited to it, you should sacrifice a lot of your time to practice.

  4. #4
    k thankyou for the advice

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    bay area, CA
    Posts
    2,788
    Quote Originally Posted by AcidLake View Post
    1. The first thing is to learn and know how to repeat a good mechanic. Here are some 'boosters' that works.

    +Long stride. Tim Lincecum and Nolan Ryan are good example of this
    +Fast, explosive action toward landing. I vision myself as a 'basketball shooter' that shoots the ball into one direction. That works for control too
    +Good timing

    I actually made changes like those and my velocity jumped from 69~72mph range to 77mph range (without any arm strength training or long toss). I'm still working on some aspects of mechinics to make it consistent.

    2. Growth and develpment. This differs to individuals. There are some pitchers in Latin America who already throw 90~92mph range when they are 16, but there are some pitchers who stay at 80~ 82mph range in their senior year in high school. Roger Clemens threw only 82~83mph out of high school, Mark Wohlers threw in 81mph range out of high school and later went on to hit 100+mph in MLB. Remember, you cannot speed up mother nature.

    3. Practice, practice, practice. If you are really commited to it, you should sacrifice a lot of your time to practice.
    don't you also want to play alot of long toss too?

  6. Quote Originally Posted by Go Cardinals View Post
    don't worry about speed, speed will come. right now focus on throwing strikes. if you could do that, you'll be much better than trying to over throw it all the time.

    short and sweet, and really really good advice. u aint got nothing if u can't throw strikes. and long toss like cardinal said also helps to build arm strength. i wouldn't worry about speed at this point in your career.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Cardinals View Post
    don't you also want to play alot of long toss too?
    I just do long toss when I'm warming up in the outfield when I'm not pitching. It's technically warming up for outfield throw, not pitching. I don't do it often either

    I personally think long toss stresses my arm since it's an act of using my whole arm to send a ball to long distance. I actually got my arm tired out doing long toss about a year ago.

  8. #8
    I longtoss usually 300 ft.
    4 seam/2 Seam
    Change
    Curve

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by leftypitcher934 View Post
    I longtoss usually 300 ft.
    Do you think that has improved your speed? Just curious

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    12,629
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by leftypitcher934 View Post
    I longtoss usually 300 ft.

    How old are you?
    "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
    - John Cotton Dana (18561929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake Patterson View Post
    How old are you?
    Not old enough to accurately measure distances from a glance.

  12. #12
    it helps arm strength
    4 seam/2 Seam
    Change
    Curve

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    12,629
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by leftypitcher934 View Post
    I longtoss usually 300 ft.

    This would mean you throw a fastball 88-93 MPH. Pretty fast.....
    Here's Jaeger - http://www.baseballtips.com/longtoss.html
    "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
    - John Cotton Dana (18561929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

  14. when people say the throw long toss what is there idea of it. you might be able to throw 300ft, be it will probally be 50ft in the air which vertually does nothing to for your arm. now if you can throw 300 feet on a line maby 10-20ft in the air your arm is really really strong. I can't stand throwing lollypops to a person who's 200 ft away. it has to be on a line or else it's useless.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    12,629
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by J-MAC View Post
    when people say the throw long toss what is there idea of it. you might be able to throw 300ft, be it will probally be 50ft in the air which vertually does nothing to for your arm. now if you can throw 300 feet on a line maby 10-20ft in the air your arm is really really strong. I can't stand throwing lollypops to a person who's 200 ft away. it has to be on a line or else it's useless.
    Distance in the situation is a result of applied force and angle. Once you go above the optimum angle -given a constant force - you have diminishing returns.
    "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
    - John Cotton Dana (18561929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

  16. #16
    leftypitcher934 didn't mention any control problems.

    Work on velocity now. Control will continue to improve as you get older, but if you don't learn to throw hard now you will find it more difficult to incorporate that later. You don't just wake up one morning at 17 and decide to start throwing hard. By then it's too late.

    Here's another thought: If you're the average 15 year old hitter, who would you rather face? A guy with medium volocity who throws strikes, or a guy who throws gas but has a reputation as being a little wild? Nothing wrong with inspiring a little fear in the opposition...

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Postblank View Post
    Not old enough to accurately measure distances from a glance.
    lol, agreed

    edit: just realized this thread is several months ago., sorry.

  18. #18

    Where?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jake Patterson View Post
    This would mean you throw a fastball 88-93 MPH. Pretty fast.....
    Here's Jaeger - http://www.baseballtips.com/longtoss.html
    Where is that information? Just curious so I can see how fast I should throw.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    1,025
    Quote Originally Posted by leftypitcher934 View Post
    I longtoss usually 300 ft.
    wow, I'm 17 and I get a 275ft+ throw to home on a hop or 2...
    Last edited by CanadianKid; 08-24-2007 at 06:59 PM.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    bay area, CA
    Posts
    2,788
    Quote Originally Posted by AcidLake View Post
    I just do long toss when I'm warming up in the outfield when I'm not pitching. It's technically warming up for outfield throw, not pitching. I don't do it often either

    I personally think long toss stresses my arm since it's an act of using my whole arm to send a ball to long distance. I actually got my arm tired out doing long toss about a year ago.
    Then you did too much or threw too hard or did it wrong (sorry for run-on). Long toss helps your arm.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    1,025
    Probably weren't using your whole body.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    12,629
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by leftypitcher934 View Post
    I longtoss usually 300 ft.
    Most HS players do NOT throw this far. This is taking a baseball at one goal line and throwing it and hitting the other goal line on a football field or throwing 50' further than twice the distance from home to second base.
    Jake
    Last edited by Jake Patterson; 08-24-2007 at 06:34 PM.
    "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
    - John Cotton Dana (18561929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake Patterson View Post
    Most HS players do throw this far. This is taking a baseball at one goal line and throwing it and hitting the other goal line on a football field or throwing 50' further than twice the distance from home to second base.
    Jake
    I call bs on that sorry jake but Most highschool kids do not throw 300ft unless its a rainbow and I gurantee not many throw that far on a line, no one on my team does and we had a kid throwing high 80's who also played centerfield and he couldnt even do that.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    12,629
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesh23 View Post
    I call bs on that sorry jake but Most highschool kids do not throw 300ft unless its a rainbow and I gurantee not many throw that far on a line, no one on my team does and we had a kid throwing high 80's who also played centerfield and he couldnt even do that.
    Sorry I meant DO NOT throw this far. I changed my original post...
    Last edited by Jake Patterson; 08-24-2007 at 06:34 PM.
    "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
    - John Cotton Dana (18561929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Bloomington, IL
    Posts
    707
    I'm 14 and can throw 250 ft. not a line at all though. Is that any good?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •