Thread: REmember when Randy Johnson was an Astro?

Cool REmember when Randy Johnson was an Astro?

Does anyone here have any stories of where they were when they found on he was an astro

or any stories of watching his games as an Astro and seeing how dominating he was?

Blog Entries
    I'm baffled. He started 11 games that year and won 10 and only lost 1. he had an impressive ERA of 1.28. Why in the world did the Astros let him go? Free Agent? (Did he only sign a 1 yr deal with them?) Was he traded? If so for who?

I went to all five games he started in the Astrodome that season, and the place was electric. Fans showed up early for his starts just to see him warm up in the bullpen.

AC, the Astros traded Freddy Garcia, John Halama and Carlos Guillen to the Mariners in a deadline deal in July 1998. Everyone knew it was a two-month rental and a steep price to pay for Johnson whose contract was up at the end of the season. But it was still worth it, in my opinion, as the last two months of that regular season the Astros were one of the, if not the, best teams going. The acquisition of Johnson propelled the club to a franchise-best 102 wins and into the playoffs. But it was the same old story for Houston once October started as the bats fell cold and the Astros fell in the LDS to a surging Padres club that went on to win the NL Pennant.
    Never confuse character with geography --- Red Smith
    Astros Daily

I was watching ESPN when they made the announcement- I think it was something like 7 minutes before the trade deadline that the deal was completed.

The Astros were making a big push to win it all that year, and they thought that Johnson was the final piece to the puzzle. Like PopTop said, his contract was through after that season, and at the time the Astros were not interested in giving dominating pitchers big salaries (see: Mike Hampton).
    Last edited by baseball_83; 05-31-2007 at 10:13 PM.

The Astros made a fairly competitive offer for Johnson, but they couldn't compete with Arizona where I believe he's made his home for years now.
    Never confuse character with geography --- Red Smith
    Astros Daily

Blog Entries
    All I remember from the "Johnson Days" was that he absolutely hated it here. He hated the city, and was not fond of the team.

Wish I had some articles referring to that. I'll have to do some digging.
    -David
    Please read the Baseball Fever Policy and FAQ Section before posting.
    "Some mistakes I guess we never stop paying for." -Roy Hobbs, The Natural

Ever wonder about the fastest pitch ever thrown? Click this link.

I remember his debut against Pittsburgh (or was it the first time I saw him in a Houston uni), I had that giddy feeling like the one I had when Nolan signed on.
    ASTROS LIFER

I saw Johnson pitch at Turner Field. The Braves had to start Greg Colbrunn at first because Andres Galarraga was suspended, and he hit a long foul ball, but that's all he did. Johnson had 10 strikeouts and Biggio, Bagwell, and the immortal Sean Berry all homered off of Maddux. Andruw Jones homered off of Billy Wagner to make the final score 4-2, but that was it.
    48 wins to match last year's total

on a related note carlos guillen will be reppin detroit at the all star game

Paul Byrd, fresh off the waiver wire and making his first start for the Phillies, shut out Johnson and the Astros, 4-0 at Veterans Stadium. Scott Rolen hit a home run of the Big Unit, IIRC.

I remember that Randy Johnson almost won 20 games that year of 1998, split between the two leagues. After winning 20 in 1997 he got off to a bad start with Seattle at 9-10, but then completely turned things around with the Astros going 10-1 for an overall 19-11 in '98.
    Houston was like a stop off point in between two eras of greatness with Seattle and Arizona. (Something like the half-season C.C. Sabathia spent with Milwaukee in between his two long term periods of success with Cleveland and the Yankees.) The question that surely needs to be asked is "Why didn't Houston try to retain him for 1999 and beyond?"
    Yankees fans never really appreciated him in 2005 & 2006 despite back to back 17 win seasons from a guy already well into his 40s.
    Then Johnson had a serious injury in 2007 in his return to Arizona. He won only four games that year to bring his victory total to 284 career wins. He didn't pitch again that season after the first half of June.
    Johnson could have quit at that point rather than go through a long painful period of rehabilitation and he'd still be a Hall Of Famer. Instead he came back and got 11 wins with the Diamondbacks in 2008 and 8 wins with the Giants in 2009 to reach the 300 wins milestone and finish with a final win-loss record of 303-166. (.646 winning percentage) and 4,875 strikeouts (#2 all-time).
    Now a fair question to ask with managers' increasing reliance on relievers is 'Will Johnson be MLB's final 300 game winner?' The way the game has become a battle of bullpens it would take a starting pitcher with not just sensational talent, but of IMMENSE TALENT, who is clearly head and shoulders above his contemporaries to have a shot at winning 300 games in the future.
    Last edited by philliesfiend55; 05-23-2017 at 04:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by philliesfiend55 View Post
    I remember that Randy Johnson almost won 20 games that year of 1998, split between the two leagues. After winning 20 in 1997 he got off to a bad start with Seattle at 9-10, but then completely turned things around with the Astros going 10-1 for an overall 19-11 in '98.
    Houston was like a stop off point in between two eras of greatness with Seattle and Arizona. (Something like the half-season C.C. Sabathia spent with Milwaukee in between his two long term periods of success with Cleveland and the Yankees.) The question that surely needs to be asked is "Why didn't Houston try to retain him for 1999 and beyond?"
    Yankees fans never really appreciated him in 2005 & 2006 despite back to back 17 win seasons from a guy already well into his 40s.
    Then Johnson had a serious injury in 2007 in his return to Arizona. He won only four games that year to bring his victory total to 284 career wins. He didn't pitch again that season after the first half of June.
    Johnson could have quit at that point rather than go through a long painful period of rehabilitation and he'd still be a Hall Of Famer. Instead he came back and got 11 wins with the Diamondbacks in 2008 and 8 wins with the Giants in 2009 to reach the 300 wins milestone and finish with a final win-loss record of 303-166. (.646 winning percentage) and 4,875 strikeouts (#2 all-time).
    Now a fair question to ask with managers' increasing reliance on relievers is 'Will Johnson be MLB's final 300 game winner?' The way the game has become a battle of bullpens it would take a starting pitcher with not just sensational talent, but of IMMENSE TALENT, who is clearly head and shoulders above his contemporaries to have a shot at winning 300 games in the future.
    Looking through some old USA Today Baseball Weekly's from that off season, Houston offered Johnson a 3 year, $33 million dollar contract to stay. However, Johnson had a home in Arizona and decided to sign with the Diamondbacks. With Houston being so close in 1998, I would still make that trade for Johnson.