Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: CLIPS, PICS, SITES and Practice Discussion

Winners and losers

No ties in baseball.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dr. Mike Marshall's Pitching Site

1974 Cy Young winner and holder of many MLB pitching records including pitching in 106 games in one season and pitching in 13 consecutive games. He has a PHD from MSU.

You can read his book and watch his pitching instructional video for free.

http://www.drmikemarshall.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Go Cardinals View Post
    Monroe:
    I'm glad I saw this. Monroe has always been one of my favorite players, boy was his swing SMOOTH.

Has anyone seen this site? any feedback?

Thats AWESOME!!!!...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake Patterson View Post
    Attachment 25263

MiniCarter

Quote Originally Posted by CGG View Post
    Thats AWESOME!!!!...
    That's not my son, but it is one of the kids I coached. My son looks similar though.
    Here is the pic.

You have to piss with the puppies before you can bark with the dogs. - SFC Norman Dutram, Company B, 242d Combat Engineers

Blog Entries
    This is a great example of A-ROD keeping his hands inside the ball.

Blog Entries
    I've had a few requests for this. I am uncertain who the original contributor was.

2-Seam
    Attachment 89254

4-Seam
    Attachment 89255
    "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
    - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

Blog Entries

College Scholarships

To all experienced coaches that moderate this forum!

I have been a lurker here for a long time and your knowledge that you contribute is outstanding. All the different views really keep me interested. As most know a good percentage of us come here seeking advice on coaching the youth and mentoring to our son or daughter as a parent. I have read for days here and still is not even a drop in the bucket to what could be learned from the experience that posts on this board. I have noticed numerous posts lately on practice plans for young coaches.
    With that I think this board would do great for all the experienced coaches here to make a sticky with practice plans and drills with what they know works with the youth. I know there will be numerous variations but I think that is good for the community and coaches because as with life there is not just one path to get to the desired destination. Thank you in advance if you decide to or not I will keep lurking my son is 10 so we are really just getting started in this journey.

Blog Entries
    JoBoo
    there are only two moderators here... myself and Cannonball. We have both posted information on practice schedules.

joboo,

I am getting ready for my upcoming season. I just reworked my practice checklist but have not completed it as of right now. When I get it done, I'll post the entire thing. Wow, I have so much to do and time is running out. The excitement is obvious and my wife has commented several times about I'm the old me again. In fact, she said that next week we should plan on going out for that one last time before the season gets going since when it does, while we will still go out to eat, I'll be off in my own world.

There are several coaches here that have a lot to offer as well. You guys can chime in as well.
    Granny said Sonny stick to your guns if you believe in something no matter what. Because it's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

Nice thread, I came to this forum thinking I was the guy with all the answers, soon I realized I was the guy with all the questions. Truly, part of the fun in life is the process and this site provides me an opportunity to broaden that process.

CB, I look forward to seeing your plan. I didn't know you guys had them available on this site....my mistake.

I'll start with this. The title of this is "Basic Fundamentals Checklist" The intent of this list is to have something to look at to plan practices during the pre season. Hitting is not included but is covered. I apologize that the format won't copy like it does in word.

I. Throwing:
    a. Playing catch with a purpose.
    b. Step and Throw
    c. Dead leg throw
    d. Switch your feet throw
    i. Look runner - Throw to first
    ii. Look runner – fake throw to first – throw to 3rd
    e. Crow hop – OF
    f. Spin moves – OF but include infield
    g. Throws on the run
    h. Teach backward chaining for OF
    i. Pivot throws
    i. 2b to SS
    ii. Ss to 2b
    iii. 1b to SS
    iv. 3B to 2B
    v. Catcher to infield
    1. Include foot work for bunts
    2. Include throws from backstop
    II. Fielding:
    a. MAJOR EMPHASIS THIS YEAR – ANGLES!
    i. Drop step work
    ii. Foot work to plant and throw
    b. Short hops
    c. Backhands
    d. Soft hands drills
    e. Fly Ball
    i. Infield work on angles
    ii. Infield work on communication
    iii. Infield work on sun
    iv. Repeat all for OF
    f. Catcher must be individual off of Catcher’s checklist.
    g. Tags
    i. Snap Tag
    ii. How to position player for catch and tag
    iii. Tags for contact w/runner
    iv. Rundown throws and tags
    h. Relays and Positioning
    i. Diving Drills
    j. Cutoffs
    III. Base-running:
    a. Leadoffs from First
    b. Diving back in
    c. Proper shuffles and reads
    d. Reads off the bat – all bases
    e. Reading Coach
    f. Sprinting through the bag
    g. All slides
    h. Tag up plays
    i. Read ball in dirt all bases w/emphasis at 3rd base

Again, I'll add more later.
    Granny said Sonny stick to your guns if you believe in something no matter what. Because it's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

I thought I'd throw this in as well. This is cut out of a larger work that simply would not make sense to most of you since it involves drill cues special to my program. BTW, I want to assert again that I don't claim to be an expert. So, if you read this stuff and think it is stupid, great. Don't do it.

Drills are designed to create muscle memory so that when in competition, you do not have to think about the swing, fielding play, execution. Drills are based on fundamental principles and are often “break down” portions of hitting, fielding or pitching actions.

Infield Fielding Position –

1. The standard fielding position is flexed at the knees to allow the glove to begin below the level of the ball.
    2. The back is relatively straight. It is only angled to allow the arms to hang down with a slight bend in the elbow.
    3. The body is tension free and moving forward as the pitcher delivers the ball to the plate.
    4. The ball will be fielded in front of the nose. You should be able to draw a line from your nose to your glove hand wrist.
    5. As the ball is caught for a right handed player, the left foot should be slightly moving out in front of the right foot to enable the step to be “smoother” for the throw to first.
    6. Low crossover steps are essential for good fielding. Remember, a “jab step” often causes the fielder to miss the ball by arriving just late for the play.
    7. Third and first basemen must practice more with their gloves on the ground as the pitcher delivers the ball. Shortstops and second basemen must practice more upright to enable them to cover more ground to the hole.
    8. In situations where the fielder must “charge” the ball, the forward movement must be aggressive but not “stupid.” Time the hop, field the ball off of the glove hand side and make a throw that will not “run” on the first baseman.
    9. Always be moving forward on any fielded ball. There is not a situation in baseball, in my opinion, that requires the fielder to be stationary when fielding a ball.
    10. The best infield and outfields work on angles and drop steps to create the best angles!
    11. One other analogy that should help is, “landing the plane.” Good players land the plane and are not like helicopters that drop abruptly.

The Glove –

1. Use the “soft hands” tools and the wood to develop good glove position.
    2. The palm should be directed upward but not flat.
    3. Think of shoveling the ball into the glove. “Bulldozer approach!”
    4. On short hops, be aggressive. Attack the ball with the glove.
    5. The glove is only one part of the alligator. Use your top hand to field the ball and hold the ball in the glove.
    6. Condition and take care of your glove, it is the tool of your trade.

What to do when the pitcher pitches the ball –

1. Read the catcher’s signals, communicate with your teammates and adjust positioning to the type of pitch.
    2. Relay the pitch “soft” or “hard” with the outfielders if you are the shortstop or second baseman and then adjust yourself.
    3. If a runner is on first, the shortstop and the second baseman must communicate on who has the throw on a steal attempt. Also, they must communicate on who has the double play ball back to the pitcher.
    4. The first baseman and third baseman must always communicate with the pitcher on who has the line in bunt situations.
    5. Step forward with your glove hand foot as the ball is delivered.
    6. You should be on the balls of your feet.
    7. Expect for the ball to be hit to you. Therefore, you will never be surprised.
    8. Draw an imaginary square in front of the plate as the ball is delivered.
    9. Read the pitch!

Coach Butler’s Rating on Importance – Infield Fielding:

1. Footwork
    2. Positioning
    3. Read and React – alligator in front, backhand, glove side look the ball in.

Thank You! This is nice it would be great to have a sticky with lots of various practice plans for all age groups. I know Jake said they have been posted but I have yet to find them. I'm sure they are here just haven't searched the correct way.

joboo,

It may not be you. This search function on this board really doesn't function properly beyond one year. Thus, if Jake's practice plans were posted more than a 1 year ago, it's no surprise that they can't be found.

That's one of the reasons I want our moderators to put this and similar material into a sticky for newcomers to this board.

-JJA

Blog Entries
    From a more macro perspective I used the following as a guideline:

1. Physical Warm-ups
    2. Throwing lead up and drills
    3. Fielding lead ups and drills
    4. Hitting
    5. A new item (Class) and review
    6. Game like situation
    7. Finished with base running

Blog Entries
    This is from a book I wrote some time ago. It was intended to help youth coaches. There are probably things I would change today...

How to Coach Litt&#.doc
    Last edited by Jake Patterson; 05-05-2011 at 07:41 AM.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast