Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: some of your favorite/least favorite memories of the Phils

Blog Entries

some of your favorite/least favorite memories of the Phils

I figured a good place to start is to share some of our favorite memories/least favorite memories of the Phils:

Favorites
    1) Mid-September 1980 to the end of the Series: it doesn't get better than this!

2) 1993 until Joe Carter got to face Mitch Williams in game 6 of the Series.

3) the 1983 LCS.

4) Schmitty's great regular season game in Chicago

5) Rick Wise's no-hitter, complete with a home run by the winning hurler.

6) Tug McGraw being the Tugger.

7) Lenny Dykstra when healthy.

Least Favorite:

1) The bullpen since 1993, except for Wagner and Gordon, 2006.

2) Joe Carter's home run

3) Ed Wade press conferences

4) An absolutely frigid April evening in front of an upper deck ramp for fan entry in the Vet which was funnelling a cool, damp breeze down our backs.

5) Luzinski's drop of that Manny Mota fly ball in the 1977 LCS.

I may think of some more, but this may give you some ideas of your own.

Jim Albright
    Last edited by jalbright; 07-02-2007 at 06:18 PM.
    Seen on a bumper sticker: If only closed minds came with closed mouths.
    Some minds are like concrete--thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
    A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

One of my first big league games was a trip my Little League took to old Connie Mack Stadium in Aug. '67. An error late in the game by third baseman Richie Allen allowed the Cubs to tie the score. He was booed lustily when he came to bat in extra innings. He turned that right around when he hit a moonshot over the scoreboard just right of dead center field. What a blast!

Blog Entries
    Not my memory, but my Dad's, and it also involves Dick Allen while he was still known as "Richie." Phils were playing the Mets were playing at Shea Stadium, might have been 1966. Score is tied at zero, top of the 7th, and either Jack Fisher or Dennis Ribant is on the mound for the Mets. Whoever it is is pitching a terrific ballgame...they've allowed fewer than five hits. But whoever it is has also been walking a batter here and there and there's one on via a walk when Allen comes to the plate. Count is 1-1 and he hits this monster line drive, just a frozen rope to deep centerfield, and it must be still going. My Dad said it was out of there so fast that nobody had any time to react. Well, the Mets put one on the board the next inning (think it was the bottom of the 8th when they scored), but they couldn't score again. Phils win, 2-1, on Dick Allen's unbelievable line drive homerun. My Dad said that of any non-fly ball homer, this was about the hardest hit BY FAR.
    "They put me in the Hall of Fame? They must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel!"
    -Eppa Rixey, upon learning of his induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Motafy (MO-ta-fy) vt. -fied, -fying 1. For a pitcher to melt down in a big game situation; to become like Guillermo Mota. 2. The transformation of a good pitcher into one of Guillermo Mota's caliber.

fave phils moment

Another Dick Allen special.
    1976 Phils/Pirates game.
    one out runners on 1st and 2nd.
    pop-up to first. Allen drops it, steps on 1st fires to 2nd for double play.

Steve Carlton 1972.
    ...still plays with cars

My dad and uncle took me to a few games at the Vet in the late 1970s. I can remember watching, and rooting for, Pete Rose.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by brihev View Post
    Steve Carlton 1972.
    Man, how did I forget that one? I can remember avidly listening to the radio during the streak when he pitched--and rarely otherwise that year, as they were awful without him.

Jim Albright
    Seen on a bumper sticker: If only closed minds came with closed mouths.
    Some minds are like concrete--thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
    A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

Aside from the obvious: 1980, 1993, etc., my favorite moments are Del Unser's 3rd consecutive pinch hit HR & Kevin Millwood's no-hitter because I was at both games.

The others I remember are games when the Phillies came back from huge deficits in a game to win or games where they scored a lot of runs in an inning.

For some reason, I remember the game when the Phillies were playing the Reds back in the early 90's. I think the Phillies had the winning run on 2nd base. Someone got a hit to RF so it looked like the runner from second was going to score. Paul O'Neill, the RF, juggled the ball then accidentially kicked the ball in disgust to the cut-off man so the player representing the winning run at second had to stop at third. It was so funny.

I was also at the game that the Phillies came back from a 10 run 1st inning deficit. Stever Jeltz had 2 HRs.

I remember one moment so embarrassing, that I managed to laugh through the next three innings: rookie second baseman Juan Samuel taking a Tommy Herr line drive in the family jewels, and him prostrate on his knees as the runners crossed the plate, one by one...

It was either laugh or cry.
    __________________________________________________ ___

Beating the Braves in the LCS, 1993

Quote Originally Posted by brihev View Post
    Another Dick Allen special.
    1976 Phils/Pirates game.
    one out runners on 1st and 2nd.
    pop-up to first. Allen drops it, steps on 1st fires to 2nd for double play.

Steve Carlton 1972.

I remember that play too... I must have been televised on the Saturday game of the week for me to see it in Michigan. I thought he let it bounce, touched 1B, then tagged the runner who assumed the infield fly rule. I can't remember if Allen purposely dropped it or let it bounce once. I do remember Danny Murtaugh arguing the play.
    Last edited by HDH; 07-08-2007 at 07:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HDH View Post
    I remember that play too... I must have been televised on the Saturday game of the week for me to see it in Michigan. I thought he let it bounce, touched 1B, then tagged the runner who assumed the infield fly rule. I can't remember if Allen purposely dropped it or let it bounce once. I do remember Danny Murtaugh arguing the play.
    On a couple of NBC Saturday afternoon games in the early 70s, I have seen Allen let pop flies fall and take high bounces on the Vet turf while there were runners on bases and turn double plays in those situations. Wasn't it to put an end to this that MLB came up with the "infield fly" rule?

The infield fly rule has been in effect since 1895. The Infield Fly Rule may be invoked by an umpire only when there are fewer than 2 outs and when there is potential for a force out at 3B. In other words 1st and 2nd or bases loaded. When a pop up is catchable by an IF using ordinary effort, the umpire will say "Batter Out". Regardless if the the ball is actually caught or dropped or if the OF calls off the IF, the batter is out. The infield fly rule does not effect the base runner. If the runner wants to advance, he must tag up if the ball is caught or if the ball is missed or dropped, he does not have to tag up to advance.

The infield fly rule may not be invoked when there is only 1 runner at 1B. Richie Allen would allow the ball to bounce once and complete the double play. I wonder where he learned that trick?

This is not a Phillie tale but, here's a rule never exploited today: I remember Andre Dawson getting an inside the park home run even though the CF caught the ball. The CF caught the ball but was injured. As the injured CF held the ball, Dawson circled the bases. Since the ball was never returned to the infield before Dawson circled the bases, Dawson was awarded a HR.
    Last edited by HDH; 07-09-2007 at 06:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HDH View Post
    This is not a Phillie tale but, here's a rule never exploited today: I remember Andre Dawson getting an inside the park home run even though the CF caught the ball. The CF caught the ball but was injured. As the injured CF held the ball, Dawson circled the bases. Since the ball was never returned to the infield before Dawson circled the bases, Dawson was awarded a HR.
    Being from the Quebec province myself, I was interested by this anecdote. It happened on September 25 1989 at Olympic Stadium in Montreal. Dawson was playing for the Cubs then. It was his 21st dinger of the season and 3rd career inside the park home run, a shot to deep lf-cf off Bryn Smith. Dave Martinez, a former Cub, was the injured center fielder on the play.

Saturday May 28th, 1983, at home against the Expos. It was Camera Night and we were sitting on the third base line watching Mike Schmidt come up and keep striking out -- along with a 5th inning error. It was brought to our attention after the fourth K that it was on a total of 12 pitches. The "fans" around us, in the first rows down there, let him have it the entire night.

Jeff Reardon on the mound, down with, of course, 2 outs in the ninth (after a rain delay, which ruined my program/scorekeeping, as we never let rain chase us), here He comes up to bat.
    It could be up there with Ruth's called shot -- but no doubt or mythical aspect here. It happened for sure. Four strikeouts on 12 pitches.

Bo Diaz' slam off Neil Allen that Wednesday April 13th would be my second, because I had Kalas on the Radio the entire game (still have the call on tape.)
    1983 was my most memorable season by far, as I was too young to fully appreciate 1980; we still had much of the Carpenter nucleus left.

(1993 didn't happen AFAIC, see worst.)

As for the worst? Just one word will suffice:
    Giles.

Giles is the worst. I can still hear his slurring, screaming "Colorado Rockies" as he presented that team with an award named after his equally awful dad.

That AWFUL 23-game streak in 1961, and my hero Robin Roberts compiling a 1-10 record after having a GREAT Spring Training that season.......

There's one moment I think needs honorable mention...

It was a bright, sunny late October morning, as I stood in ranks, outside the Medical Center on the Great Lakes Naval Base. I was in my fourth week of recruit training. My entire company stood at parade rest, waiting to enter the Medical Center, on the Dental side. We were all having our wisdom teeth removed. In assembly line fashion...just like a new Honda Accord.

Next to me, in ranks, was a nice young boy from Camden. His name was Eddie. He was getting reports about the World Series from guys working in the chow hall. Kid had a lot of problems, I don't even think he made it out of there. However, he had a strange smile on his face. He got my attention by surreptitiously bumping my elbow. I looked over, and I saw him nod his head in the affirmative. His eyes were bright, and as happy as I'd ever seen on anyone. He couldn't keep still.

I whispered, "did they?"

"Yes!"

I had a very warm feeling. I was so sorry I couldn't have been there the night before. If I had been around, I probably would've turned the TV off, and driven down to the Vet for the mad happiness. I would've been there for the parade down Broad Street, no doubt. Instead, I was standing at parade rest, in Great Lakes, IL, waiting for all of my wisdom teeth to be yanked out...

I know this thread has been dormant for over a month, but I wanted to add mine:

1) Oct. 21, 1980 (of course)
    and the rest, in no particular order:

1980 NLCS vs. Houston
    Bo Diaz game-winning slam in 1983 (in attendance)
    Larry Bowa slam off of Joe Hoerner in June 1977 (on my 12th birthday - in attendance)
    Ollie Brown game winning homer off Dave Giusti vs. Pittsburgh in 1975 (in attendance)
    Terry Mulholland no-hitter in 1990
    23-22 game vs. the Cubs at Wrigley in 1979
    Closing ceremonies at the Vet (especially Tugger)
    Signing Pete Rose in December 1978
    Schmitty's 500th HR
    John Kruk returning from cancer surgery in April 1994

Low-lights:
    1) Black Friday, 1977 (need I say more?)
    2) Tim McCarver's grand-slam single in '76 (passed Garry Maddox at 1st base & was called out)

A few years ago I was handed free tickets to go see a Phillies game, so my brother and I went. I can't even remember now who they were playing. We got there late, and they were already behind. I leave my seat to come back with a stale plate of chicken fingers in time to see Pat Burrell misplay a ball in left that lets another run score. He redeemed himself in his next AB by belting a homer, but the die was cast and I was strongly reminded of some weird games I saw in the late 80's that always had me questioning my phanhood.

They Phils were getting hit hard through the middle innings, the climax of it all was around the fifth or so, losing badly, the opposing pitcher comes up with a man or two on base. I turn to my brother and say "If the damn pitcher hits a home run, we're outta here". Sure enough, Mr. .090 hitting pitcher deposits one in the left field bleachers.

We got up and left.
    I AM ROSTERDAMUS!!!

Bad Memories of The Phils, Part I

I have a number of least favorite Phillie's memories, all involving seeing some of my favorite players wear their red unis. It all started with Tug. I had no feelings really towards the Phils until that trade. After the jarring sight of seeing him not in a Blue Mets cap, but decked out in Phillie red, I came to dislike the team, mostly out of jelousy. They were better, continued to aquire some of my favorite Mets, and this went on for years. ( just imagine David Wright comming to town as a Phillie).
    The second picture is one of my least favorite Phillie moments ever, because the first picture is one of my favorite baseball moments period. (If only both franchises had been good at the same time, earlier on - this rivalry could really have been one of the best in sports by now)
    celebration.jpg tug.jpg

ps jalbright - Met fans know what you mean by # 6 in your list !

Wow!

Favorite memories
    1. My first Phillies game - August 1979 - Old Timers day at the ballpark as well
    2. My second Phillies game - June 1980 - They won!
    3. Watching players like Rose, Carlton, Schmidt, Schilling, Kruk, Thome, and Eisenreich to name a few to put on the Phillies uniform.
    4. Covering the Phillies for a tv station during an internship in college.
    5, Curt Schilling striking out 16 Yankees in one game - I was there.
    6. That game in 1993 where the second game of a doubleheader started at 1 am and didn't end until 4:40 am. Wished I was at that game. Also have other games, but they're mentioned within this thread.
    7. Meeting Jim Thome and getting him to sign my jersey.
    8. Being there at Opening Day at Citizens Bank Park for the Grand Opening.
    9. Catching a ball from Chase Utley. Not a foul ball, but an out which was hit from Miguel Cabrera.
    10. How could I forget the whole 1980 season!

Least favorite memories
    1. My first Phillies game - It rained and they lost after 5 innings were completed.
    2. One game against Seattle where Jose Mesa blew a three run lead in the ninth inning. After that lead was blown, the Phils had a chance to tie the game in the ninth until some idiot fan touched a fair ball that would have tied the game.
    3. Wishy washy ownership and management for 25 years and counting.
    4. Kevin Milwood's no hitter - don't get me wrong, yes it is a great moment in Phillies history - but unfortunately for me, I promised my brother that I would take him to the game after our older sister broke a promise that she would take him that night before. To make a long story short, both of us overslept and missed the game.
    5. Watching Todd Pratt hit into a triple play. Could not believe it when I saw it.

Unhappy My 10 most distressing Phillies moments

1. 1964
    2. 1964
    3. 1964
    4. 1964
    5. 1964
    6. 1964
    7. 1964
    8. 1964
    9. 1964
    Last edited by jalbright; 04-27-2008 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tbng View Post
    1. 1964
    2. 1964
    3. 1964
    4. 1964
    5. 1964
    6. 1964
    7. 1964
    8. 1964
    9. 1964
    10. Donzblock, any post, any year
    You honor me, sir. But shouldn't I have been number 1? And how long do you plan to stay with us this time?

5 least favorite Phils figureheads

1. Bill " We're a small market club" Giles
    2. David Montgomery- Giles mouthpiece
    3. Ed Wade- Giles' illegitimate son
    4. Pat Gillick- Giles old crony from Houston
    5. Ruben Amaro Jr.- Giles ventriloquist

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Jeltz View Post
    1. Bill " We're a small market club" Giles
    2. David Montgomery- Giles mouthpiece
    3. Ed Wade- Giles' illegitimate son
    4. Pat Gillick- Giles old crony from Houston
    5. Ruben Amaro Jr.- Giles ventriloquist
    Great list, Jeltzie. They have to be the five worst on any club.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast