Thread: Pujols Upset About All-Star Game

Blog Entries

Pujols Upset About All-Star Game

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -Albert Pujols was angry about being left on the All-Star bench and the St. Louis slugger took aim at the National League manager - who just happened to be Tony La Russa of his own Cardinals.

"It's the All-Star game. He can do what he wants," Pujols said Tuesday night. "He does whatever he wants. If I wasn't expecting to play, I wouldn't have come up here."

Pujols, the NL MVP in 2005 and key to the Cardinals' win in the World Series last year, said La Russa didn't talk to him the entire game.

Pujols could only watch when Aaron Rowand flied out with the bases loaded to end the American League's 5-4 win.

"If he wants to get upset, he can get upset," La Russa said. "Whatever he wants to do, he can do. It's America. That wasn't the most important thing tonight."

With the 32-man rosters, it's not uncommon for few players to be left out. The AL used 27 players, while the NL used 28.

Pujols and Texas shortstop Michael Young - last year's All-Star game MVP - were the only position players who didn't get into the game. Ever since the 2002 event ended in an extra-innings tie, managers have tended to hold a hitter back just in case.

La Russa said he indeed was saving his star player in case the game went long.

"Once we lost (Miguel) Cabrera and (Freddy) Sanchez, he was the guy we were going to use to protect ourselves in case we kept playing because of Albert's versatility," La Russa said. "I think we had the right guy at bat."

A six-time All-Star, Pujols finished about 770,000 votes behind starting first baseman Prince Fielder. He played left field regularly in 2002 and '03 and also saw time at third base in 2001 and '02.

Pujols said he was getting his body loose the whole night.

"I was ready to go since the game started," Pujols said.

Pujols is mired in a career-worst home run slump - 22 games and a career-worst 74 at-bats. He is tied with Chris Duncan for the team lead with 16 homers and his last homer was off Kansas City's Jimmy Gobble on June 14.

----

Jeez...his own Manager. Tony should have at least talked with Pujols and let him know that he's gonna keep him back just in case.
    But to go the whole game without speaking to Pujols and then not get him into the game....wow.

My 2cents.
    "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Blog Entries
    That was cold for LaRussa to do that. It's worse that he was the MVP last year
    Join Pigskin Fever Today and tell 'em packersfan reffered you when you register!

Please read the Baseball Fever Policy and Fourm FAQ before posting.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by brewers96 View Post
    That was cold for LaRussa to do that. It's worse that he was the MVP last year
    It was brutal. And Pujols said that LaRussa didn't say a word to him the entire game.

This is no way to treat your Star player. I don't know what Tony was thinking.
    "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Frankly, I would like managers of this game to not be intimidated by the need to play everybody. Then we could get back to the way this game used to be played.
    Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by KCGHOST View Post
    Frankly, I would like managers of this game to not be intimidated by the need to play everybody. Then we could get back to the way this game used to be played.
    I agree with that.

But I also agree with telling Pujols you're planning on saving him. Or using him as a pinch-hitter in the 9th! If the bases were loaded, the winning run was on second, and I had Albert Pujols on my bench...it seems like a no-brainer.
    CLEVELAND INDIANS Central Division Champions

1920 1948 1954 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999 2001 2007

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KCGHOST View Post
    I agree with you on that.
    I like how LaRussa played Jose Reyes 8+ innings and got him 4 ABs.

I wish more MGRs played the Starters for 6-7 innings...but I can't co-sign how LaRussa did Pujols. If he was planning on saving him, then just tell him.

But also, in the bottom of the 9th why not pitch hit for Orlando Hudson with Pujols or even Rowland? LaRussa was worried about positions and the 10th.
    He should have worried about tying or winning first.

Quote Originally Posted by BoofBonser26 View Post
    If the bases were loaded, the winning run was on second, and I had Albert Pujols on my bench...it seems like a no-brainer.
    That's the part that I don't get. When home field advantage is actually on the line for the post season, what was LaRussa thinking? It's easy to second guess managers in retrospect, but that seemed like an obvious choice at the time.

Something Doesn't Seem Right..

You want to talk about a weird move by a manager. I just don't get this guys. How could Tony LaRussa in his right mind NOT pinch hit Pujols for Rowand. You really think the LaRussa REALLY believes Rowand was the "right guy up there"? I think not. I've been a pretty big supporter of LaRussa, but this one takes the cake. What was he waiting on? If he hits Pujols for Rowand, all he has to do is have Freddy Sanchez move to the OF (he plays every other position it seems, why not that one?). Or, Pujols has some experience in the OF, and also at 3B. This was dumb guys, just plain dumb. Is there anyone out there that will defend this move? Would be an interesting argument.

Quote Originally Posted by JRJohnson6 View Post
    You want to talk about a weird move by a manager. I just don't get this guys. How could Tony LaRussa in his right mind NOT pinch hit Pujols for Rowand. You really think the LaRussa REALLY believes Rowand was the "right guy up there"? I think not. I've been a pretty big supporter of LaRussa, but this one takes the cake. What was he waiting on? If he hits Pujols for Rowand, all he has to do is have Freddy Sanchez move to the OF (he plays every other position it seems, why not that one?). Or, Pujols has some experience in the OF, and also at 3B. This was dumb guys, just plain dumb. Is there anyone out there that will defend this move? Would be an interesting argument.
    I already gave my argument on why it was a stupid non-move in CE. I'd love to hear a defense of this move too.

I'd love to hear what CE stands for.

Current Event

Quote Originally Posted by BaylorDan View Post
    I'd love to hear what CE stands for.
    Not to put words in his mouth, but I believe he is referring to the Current Event thread. If I am wrong I apologize and I am sure I will be corrected!

Tony the Tiger...meooow!

Quote Originally Posted by BoofBonser26 View Post
    I agree with that.

But I also agree with telling Pujols you're planning on saving him. Or using him as a pinch-hitter in the 9th! If the bases were loaded, the winning run was on second, and I had Albert Pujols on my bench...it seems like a no-brainer.
    not a good move...perplexes me..and I'm not buying Tony's rap, that he was SAVING Pujols......

seems at times, Tony has issues with some of his star players...remember
    the Rolens affair ?

anyhow, hasn't been a banner year for Tony, with getting popped in SP, drunk at the wheel...the team falling short of their expected marks, and so on..

has he wore out his welcome in St.Louis ? if so, the next mgr ???

maybe Larussa wanted to use it as motivation...... because now pujols is taking it out on the ball and id much rather have that than some stupid at bat in the all star game. Maybe larussa is a eccentric mad genius or maybe he just go lucky.....
    Our future.....Colby Rasmus.....Im his biggest fan!!!