Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nationals fans roll call

Thumbs up Nationals fans roll call

I see every other forum has one of these, post here if you are a Nats fan and I will gladly add your name to the list!
    Say a bit about yourself, how you got to baseball and eventually to the Nationals, feel free to express your ideas here.

2008 EDIT:
    Time to renew this.

Here goes:

I'm a Nats fan, I became one the day the team moved from Montreal to Washington, the day my beloved Expos left from my hometown to a place completely unknown to me. (besides the White House, US Capital)
    At first, it was difficult...difficult supporting a team that was no longer yours, a team that had moved thousands of miles away and a team that I could no longer watch or hear by an media means.

It was a difficult adjustment, but I got to it, I became used to watching the one or two games the Nationals play against Toronto on TSN or Rogers Sportsnet, while the rest, all I could do was read the articles, follow the fans on the boards, watch the highlights and be reduced to following pitch-by-pitch on MLB.com Gameday.

I am the rarest of fans, and I'm not complimenting myself here.
    I am an Expos fan forever, don't forget that, a fan that's currently following a team with any means available to him and a fan alone in a city, where the rest of 'em no longer care or are just too stubborn or exhasperated to jump on the Nationals 'wagon.

Now, let's stop with my dramatic stories and get this thread going!
    Provide your consent and if you like, your location.

2008 Update
    --

Declared Nationals fans
    wilkerson_rulz-06
    skeletor
    Peorgie T
    natsnsoxfan
    Aa3rt
    PlayJay
    KingJ
    NationalsBIGGESTfan
    Last edited by wilkerson_rulz-06; 07-11-2008 at 02:18 PM.
    Cristobal

Nats forever

Quote Originally Posted by wilkerson_rulz-06 View Post
    I see every other forum have one of these, post here if you are a Nats fan and I will gladly add your name to the list!
    Say a bit about yourself, how you got to baseball and eventually to the Nationals, feel free to express your ideas here.

Art, would it be a good idea to top this thread?

Here goes:

I'm a Nats fan, I became one the day the team moved from Montreal to Washington, the day my beloved Expos left from my hometown to a place completely unknown to me. (besides the White House, US Capital)
    At first, it was difficult...difficult supporting a team that was no longer yours, a team that had moved thousands of miles away and a team that I could no longer watch or hear by an media means.

It was a difficult adjustment, but I got to it, I became used to watching the one or two games the Nationals play against Toronto on TSN or Rogers Sportsnet, while the rest, all I could do was read the articles, follow the fans on the boards, watch the highlights and be reduced to following pitch-by-pitch on MLB.com Gameday.

I am the rarest of fans, and I'm not complimenting myself here.
    I am an Expos fan forever, don't forget that, a fan that's currently following a team with any means available to him and a fan alone in a city, where the rest of 'em no longer care or are just too stubborn or exhasperated to jump on the Nationals 'wagon.

Now, let's stop with my dramatic stories and get this thread going!
    Provide your consent and if you like, your location.

Declared Nationals fans
    wilkerson_rulz-06 (Montreal)

Good thread.....Let's see...I've been a washington fan, since the later 1950's, with the hapless Senators..all thru the team's eventual swoon in 1971..

I followed the Expos, as after I moved from the motor city, to Elvis land, which at the time, the memphis chicks, was a farm club of the Expos..saw
    many a future expo player toiling here in Memphis...Still was a expos follower
    after the team dumped Memphis...in fact, liked the Expos better than the
    Blue Jays..thought they had more class...etc..

Was sad that MLB never really gave MLB a chance in Montreal...but was happy that they ended up in Washington, rather than Las Vegas, PR, or
    Nashville...Was hoping that the moniker ' Senators ' would be re-used..and it
    took a while for me to get USED to the NATIONALS...I forgot in the 50's, they were called and more or less used that name..

Anyhow, AM glad that the NATS are playing, anything to give the stuck up Orioles, something to whine about...and can't wait for the new park opens, replacing that pig-iina-poke, olde RFK stadium...

now if we could only get rid of Bowden......sheeesh..

anuhow, add me to the roll of nats fans...

Nice story skeletor!

Added you to the list...take care!
    Cristobal

I was a Senators fan as a kid, and started following the Orioles after Short moved the team to Texas. In the days before Angelos, the Orioles were usually a fun team to watch, but I always felt they were a surrogate until DC regained what was rightfully theirs. After 33 years of waiting, 9/29/04 was as happy a day for me as it was a sad one for all of the fans in Montreal.

I started rooting for the Nat's after they moved to DC and then they just kind of grew on me I guess
    "He gave the term 'complete' a new meaning. He made the word 'superstar' seem inadequate. He had about him the touch of royalty." - Baseball Commissioner Bowie Kuhn on Roberto Clemente

my blog

4-16-07 RIP Va. Tech 32

Count me in...

Quote Originally Posted by Peorgie T View Post
    I was a Senators fan as a kid, and started following the Orioles after Short moved the team to Texas.
    I was a Senators fan as a kid as well but could never bring myself to root for the Orioles after the Senators departure. (Might have something to do with my younger brother, who idolized Brooks Robinson, and used to gloat mercilessly whenever the Orioles beat the Senators.) I never could take it when the local media tried shoving the Orioles on us as "our" team.

I chose the Red Sox as the team I followed, having a rich tradition and playing in a historic park.

However, I pretty much soured on baseball during the players strike of 1994. It was only finding this great website, coupled with the return of baseball to Washington, that have found me rekindling a long dormant interest.

I still consider myself a Senators fan but am faithfully following the Nationals, even though I've always (at least until 2005) followed the American League much more closely. In fact, I play for a softball team named the "Senators" here in Charles County. Many of us wear our blue Nationals road caps to match our blue shirts, with "Senators" emblazoned in white across the front.

I'm glad to see that a local group has purchased the team and are building for the future. While the Nats may be near the bottom of the standings, one of the games last Friday (July 20th) where the Nats defeated the Astros in extra innings on a basehit by D'Angelo Jimenez (batting a miniscule .050 at the time) showed the spirit of the team. Jimenez was mobbed at first base by his team mates. You'd have thought that they'd won the pennant. This outburst of emotion showed that the players were truly excited about the win. With the right moves by the front office, I think we should see a winner here in Washington in the not too distant future.

Wilkerson_rulz-06: I'll go ahead and "sticky" this thread, at least through the end of the 2007 season.
    Last edited by Aa3rt; 07-25-2007 at 02:39 PM.
    "For the Washington Senators, the worst time of the year is the baseball season." Roger Kahn

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." Rogers Hornsby.

You know, why don't you throw my name in the hat?

I always thought the departure of the first team was nothing short of a crime. Looking back, we lost out on what might've been the rivalry of the 1960s- a Killebrew/Allison/Oliva Washington Senators battling the Baltimore Orioles for the AL pennant on an annual basis. Would've made for great marketing in the middle Atlantic states. Instead, people had to watch the goings on in Minnesota with a saddened eye, while having to put up with a hapless expansion team...and then watching that club depart because of the ineptitude of a borderline retarded owner.

For years, I hoped against hope that DC would get a team again, because DC should have a team. I also knew that the franchise would prosper if there was reasonable hope for tomorrow. When it was finally announced that the Expos were coming down (hallelujiah), I was thrilled beyond words.

Well, here we have what basically is an expansion franchise, given the recent history. However, there's hope for tomorrow.

I'm overjoyed that the Nats are here, and that joy hasn't diminished one iota since the '05 opener. Good night, Eddie Stroud, wherever you are.

I'm here and I'm in San Jose, CA
    The Q: Can the Cubs hold a 6-5 lead with 2 outs and nobody on in the 9th?

The A: No

***********My Rant on Bud Selig***********
    Selig is like a stray pigeon. Pigeons are too self-absorbed to care about anyone else. They poo on people they don't like; they poo on people they don't even know. The only real difference between Selig and a pigeon is that Selig intends to bury our heritage, our traditions, and our culture,

Nats fan

I believe you can tell by my name that I am a Nationals fan.

I became a Nationals fan the day they moved to D.C.

I am a Nats fan as well as an Orioles fan (I hope that does not upset you, LOL). I am DC born and raised and I became a baseball fan when I went on a trip in 1981 to Boston and visited Fenway. I have been into the game ever since. After the trip, I started following the O's (might have been different if the trip had been in 1971, of course). I said back then that if DC ever gets a team, I would root for them as well. I have no problem rooting for both teams. I plan to be in attendance at the home opener at Nationals Park next year and I look forward to the day when one or both teams will be competitive (preceded by the day Angelos realizes he knows nada about baseball.

I read a fantastic book on Baseball in DC this year: The Washington Nationals: 1859 to Today by Frederic J. Frommer. If you appreciate the history of the game like I do, you will love this book.

I have posted this pic before. This pennant, etc. hanging on my wall incorporates all three installments of MLB in DC: The Washington Nationals pennant (1953 replica) is for the Walter Johnson/Clark Griffith/Joe Cronin etc team; the two sticker cards are for the Expansion Senators; and the patch is for the current team.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bryanac625; 09-27-2007 at 08:39 AM.

Wow, I remember those old sticker cards. In the early '70s, they were cloth...

My 2 cents

I am a Nationals fan, and have been since the day the team moved here to DC. I live in Woodbridge, VA, about 20 miles from the new stadium site. Woodbridge is also the home of the Potomac Nationals, the High-A affiliate of the Washington Nationals. My most memorable moment was being in attendance on 4/14/05 at RFK to watch the Nationals beat Arizona 5-3. The whole summer of 2005 was the greatest summer of my life, so much so that I have saved every piece of memorabilia I could to remember that summer for the rest of my life. My collection of just that sumer: The Topps inaugural 55-card set, the starting lineup card set from their season opener, all the programs, the commemorative program and medallion and pin from the home opener, the commemorative DVD, the book BASEBALL IS BACK: the 2005 Washington Nationals; the Chad Cordero and Livan Hernandez all star jersey cards, inaugural season baseball, inaugural RFK series baseball.

FYI, a few weeks ago, the Nationals mailbag writer on their web site said he expects the Nats to contend for the division in '08. This was before the Johan Santana trade was made, but still...

Blog Entries
    They'll definetly contend, Wild Card though, The divisiopn is too good. I think 2nd place in WC.
    You must pick battles that are small enough to win, but large enough to matter

Quote Originally Posted by NJMetfan4life View Post
    They'll definetly contend, Wild Card though, The divisiopn is too good. I think 2nd place in WC.
    With a rotation of John Patterson, Shawn Hill, Jason Bergmann, Matt Chico, and you're choice of 10 candidates? I don't think so...
    ~MOE

Moonlight Graham
    ...one game, no at-bats...

RisingApple.com

Smile I'm a National's Fan

I've been a National's fan since they announced they would start playing in DC. I've been a Washington baseball fan since the summer of 67 when I learned the difference between an Oriole and a Senator. Believe me that's hard to do when the Orioles were contenders every year and the Birds swept the Dodgers in 4 in the 66 series. If you were a Senators fan, you went to see big Frank hit a homerun or Eddie Brinkman cover the infield. Bosman and Knowles could throw some pretty good pitches too. I am glad we have a National league team this time because my replacement team for the Senators after they moved to Texas was the Red Sox. That has finally paid off. I guess the big dream now would be to see Nationals play the Red Sox in the World Series. The topper would be to see Jimmy Piersall the famous outfielder who played for Washington and Boston throw out the first ball. Jimmy played for the Senators when RFK opened as DC stadium. He also ran around the bases backwards when he hit his 100th homerun.

Time to get this show on the road!!!
    The Q: Can the Cubs hold a 6-5 lead with 2 outs and nobody on in the 9th?

The A: No

***********My Rant on Bud Selig***********
    Selig is like a stray pigeon. Pigeons are too self-absorbed to care about anyone else. They poo on people they don't like; they poo on people they don't even know. The only real difference between Selig and a pigeon is that Selig intends to bury our heritage, our traditions, and our culture,

Nationals fan here. Season ticket holder since 2005 and I LOVE the new stadium!

Thank you ZIMMERMAN for giving us a great ending to a fantastic game and day in history!

Cool

Big Nats fan, thank you Ryan Zimmerman, for theat heart watming walk off home run at Nationals Park. It's a great memory.

How about we reupdate this thread guys...

it seems less active round this place than it was last year.

I'm still here, as well as a few others.
    Cristobal

Present....

Still here...
    "For the Washington Senators, the worst time of the year is the baseball season." Roger Kahn

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." Rogers Hornsby.

im new to the site and unfortunately i too am a diehard nats fan...add me to the list
    "He is the greatest natural hitter I ever saw." -Ty Cobb

"I copied Jackson's style because I thought he was the greatest hitter I had ever seen, the greatest natural hitter I ever saw. He's the guy who made me a hitter." -Babe Ruth

"Everything he hit was really blessed. He could break bones with his shots. Blindfold me and I could still tell you when Joe hit the ball. It had a special crack." -Ernie Shore

khangin around...
    "Lopez received a routine day off from the starting lineup on Sunday, though he later entered the game as a defensive replacement.
    It's odd to see Lopez being superior defensively to anyone at shortstop, until you see that the Nats started D'Angelo Jimenez at short."

Nats fan here, i live in DC so ive been a fan ever since they moved here.
    I love the new stadium too

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast