• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MadHatter
    Baseball Fanatic
    • Jan 2006

RIP: Bill Robinson

Though I'm not a Pirates fan, I remember Bill Robinson fondly.
    sigpic
    Learn more about my collection by clicking here. Can't find what you need? Visit Sportlots.com.
    Trusted Traders: Mike D.(8), duckydps(6), ttmman21(5), Dalkowski110(4), dmbfan(4), chucksk8er(3), anjo(2), Extra Innings(2), kearns643(2), RuthMayBond(2), The Commissioner(2), card-closure-man, closer28, Coachsmallhead, Cubsfan97, jakre, jjac, Ken Hastings, latinball, NYYgraphs, Phish, Pods Fan 22, riredsox, rugbyfreak, SportsAutosTTM, The Prowling Cat, Zito75, 14Bravesfan14
  • TarHeelMan
    Son of a Dodger fan
    • Jul 2007

I remembered him on the 1986 Mets Championship team... my thoughts are with his family.

Comment

• MadHatter
      Baseball Fanatic
      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by TarHeelMan View Post
      I remembered him on the 1986 Mets Championship team... my thoughts are with his family.
      Was he a coach on that team?
      sigpic
      Learn more about my collection by clicking here. Can't find what you need? Visit Sportlots.com.
      Trusted Traders: Mike D.(8), duckydps(6), ttmman21(5), Dalkowski110(4), dmbfan(4), chucksk8er(3), anjo(2), Extra Innings(2), kearns643(2), RuthMayBond(2), The Commissioner(2), card-closure-man, closer28, Coachsmallhead, Cubsfan97, jakre, jjac, Ken Hastings, latinball, NYYgraphs, Phish, Pods Fan 22, riredsox, rugbyfreak, SportsAutosTTM, The Prowling Cat, Zito75, 14Bravesfan14

Comment

• Captain Cold Nose
        OSHA-certified Moderator
        • Jan 2000

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
        Was he a coach on that team?
        Their hitting coach. As highly respected a gentleman in the sport, from all i have heard. What a shock.
        Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
        Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
        Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
        Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
        Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

• MadHatter
          Baseball Fanatic
          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
          Their hitting coach. As highly respected a gentleman in the sport, from all i have heard. What a shock.
          Agreed - I've heard the same. Very unexpected and sad.
          sigpic

Comment

• hartman74
            • Nov 2006

1979 Pirate Championship team

Bill Robinson is the third member of the 1979 World Series championship to pass away.

1. John Milner died in 2000
            2. Willie Stargell died in 2001
            3. Bill Robinson died in 2007

Comment

• BuccoFanInBawlmer
              • Aug 2007

Robby was one of my favorites on that team. Time marches on.

Comment

• Gail
                Gail
                • Nov 2007

Bill Robinson

I am new around this site, and just read this thread on Bill Robinson. It is news to me about his death. He was a wonderful guy from what I read about him over the years. He was such a joy to watch him played during the Pirate games. I am sadded to know of his death. But have such fond memories of the games I saw him play at the games in Pgh. while in my teens and on tv.

Comment

• strato
                  • May 2010

I recall the new GM of the Yankees when CBS acquired the team, Mike Burke, was eager to break with the Yankees questionable history with black ballplayers, and traded Clete Boyer for him to Atlanta in 1967

Things didnt work out for Robby tho in NY-had 3 bad years, and didnt blossom until he later went to the Phils and Pirates

DREW

Comment

• chicagowhitesox1173
                    2005 World Series Champs
                    • Jun 2010

Wasn't he the Mets first base coach when the Mets won game 6 in the 86 WS.
                    "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

• Mongoose
                      • Oct 2008

Originally posted by chicagowhitesox1173 View Post
                      Wasn't he the Mets first base coach when the Mets won game 6 in the 86 WS.
                      And he was also prominent in one of the team's many brawls back then. It was him and Rick Rhoden, a former teammate. Not sure what triggered it.

He was hitting coach, too. Insisted on being called "hitting coach" rather than "batting coach". It seemed like everyone on that team flourished. It's hard to tell how much was their talent and what role coaching played, but you'd have to call his coaching successful. That team could hit.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

• philliesfiend55
                        • Nov 2006

After being overhyped and failing badly with the Braves and Yankees (1966-69) ,as their Centerfielder of the future, Robinson spent the next 2 1/2 years in the minors before getting a chance with the Phillies in late June 1972. He had three productive seasons playing on a part-time basis with the Philies including a fine 25 HR, 65 RBI, .288 season in 1973, his best season to that point. Traded to Pittsburgh before the 1975 season, he became a fixture with the Pirates over the next eight seasons. His best years were 1976: 21 HR/64 RBI/.303 B.Avg.followed by a superb 1977 season where he hit 26 HR, with 104 RBI, and a .304 B.Avg., his career best in all major offensive categories. He had 24 home runsa and 75 RBI as a solid contributor to the 1979 World's Champion "We Are Family" Pittsburgh Pirates. Lifetime Robinson belted 166 home runs, hiting .258 overall.
                        After finishing his playing career with the 1983 Phillies, Robinson was a Mets coach several years and he managed Winter League baseball teams in Venezuela and the Caribbean, but he never reached his goal of managing a major leagues team. He died at age 64 in 2007.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X