A) Jimmie Foxx
    B) Lefty Grove
    C) Home Run Baker
    D) Al Simmons
    E) Eddie Collins
    F) Jack Coombs

I vote for Grove

Jimmie Foxx.
    Always go to other people's funerals, otherwise they won't come to yours. - Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by Dodgerfan1 View Post
    Jimmie Foxx.
    Good choice, but I'm stickin with Grove

Quote Originally Posted by Soxrock View Post
    A) Jimmie Foxx
    B) Lefty Grove
    C) Home Run Baker
    D) Al Simmons
    E) Eddie Collins
    F) Jack Coombs

I vote for Grove

You couldn't find a better guy for "F" than Jack Coombs? Like Mickey Cochrane for example? Or even Bob Johnson. If you insist on a pitcher, there's always Rube Waddell, who had an amazing peak with the team. If you want a pitcher with some longevity, how about Eddie Plank? Chief Bender would be a better choice than Coombs.

But to answer your question, the best Philadelphia A ever was Jimmie Foxx. He was a Giant in a game of dwarves.

Blog Entries
    Foxx. Who would the be the all-time teams SS Jack Barry or have I missed someone from the 00s decade.

Good choice, but I'm stickin with Grove
    Yes, it was between Grove and Foxx for me. Almost went with Grove....
    Always go to other people's funerals, otherwise they won't come to yours. - Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by PVNICK View Post
    Foxx. Who would the be the all-time teams SS Jack Barry or have I missed someone from the 00s decade.
    Possibly. Maybe Joost? He was just an average hitter, but walked a lot, thus helping his OBP. It's a pretty weak crop, alright.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodgerfan1 View Post
    Possibly. Maybe Joost? He was just an average hitter, but walked a lot, thus helping his OBP. It's a pretty weak crop, alright.
    That seems as good as any. I think in the 30s Eric McNair and maybe one other player had a good year or two. The 00s SS was Monte Cross who I think was a weak offesive player even for that era. So weak crop might be an understatement.

Quote Originally Posted by tearforamariner View Post
    You couldn't find a better guy for "F" than Jack Coombs? Like Mickey Cochrane for example? Or even Bob Johnson. If you insist on a pitcher, there's always Rube Waddell, who had an amazing peak with the team. If you want a pitcher with some longevity, how about Eddie Plank? Chief Bender would be a better choice than Coombs.

But to answer your question, the best Philadelphia A ever was Jimmie Foxx. He was a Giant in a game of dwarves.
    Well, here are my answers:

Cochrane) I, personally, associate Mickey Cochrane as the catcher for the Tigers more than the A's
    Waddell) He didn't play very long and was equally wild as dominant
    Plank and Bender) Well, I just left them out because I didn't want this drawn out

I think Connie Mack said he felt his greatest player ever was Al Simmons.
    In the 1920's, Harry Heilmann led the AL with a .364 average. In addition, he averaged 220 hits, 45 doubles, 12 triples, 16 homers, 110 runs, and 130 RBI.

Well, here are my answers:

Cochrane) I, personally, associate Mickey Cochrane as the catcher for the Tigers more than the A's
    Waddell) He didn't play very long and was equally wild as dominant
    Plank and Bender) Well, I just left them out because I didn't want this drawn out
    But Cochrane actually had his best playing years in Philly. May I ask who your catcher would be on the A's of Philly.

Welcome back ARod. Hope you are a Yankee forever.
    Phil Rizzuto-a Yankee forever.

Holy Cow

My dad was a young boy in Philly when these superstars were playing, he had all their autographs in a book which my mom sold about 5 years ago for some good cash!

What a team! The greatest lefthander of all time, probably the greatest right handed power hitter of them all, and in Simmons the only
    .390 power hitter ever in the American league. Cochrane in this lineup always batted 3rd usually reserved for the teams best hitter but I remember my father saying that when Cochrane got a day off Mack had Cy Perkins batting 3rd.

1) Grove
    2) Foxx
    3) Simmons
    4) Cochrane
    5) Earnshaw

1. Jimmy Foxx
    2. Lefty Grove
    3. Al Simmons
    4. Eddie Collins
    5. Mickey Cochrane
    6. Frank Baker
    7. Eddie Plank
    8. Rube Waddell
    9. Bob Johnson
    10. Chief Bender
    11. Max Bishop
    12. Jack Coombs
    13. Bing Miller
    14. Jimmy Dykes
    15. Gus Zernial
    16. Elmer Valo
    17. Eddie Rommel
    18. Rube Walberg
    19. Eddie Joost
    20. Harry Davis/Stuffy McInnis
    Last edited by chicagowhitesox1173; 04-17-2013 at 11:30 PM.
    "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

--If you are making all time teams from pre-WWII (and few Philly A's from after would be candidates for the team) then the A's give the Yankees a good run for their money.

C: Mickey Cochrane (definately an A not a Tiger)
    1B: Jimmie Foxx
    2B: Eddie Collins (close call with White Sox)
    3B: Frank Baker
    SS: Jack Barry (by far teams biggest hole)
    LF: Al Simons
    CF: Topsy Hartsel
    RF: Socks Seibold
    C: Wally Schang
    IF: Jimmy Dykes
    OF: Bob Johnson might push Harsel or Seibold to the bench
    SP: Left Grove
    SP: Rube Waddell
    SP: Eddie Plank
    SP: Chief Bender
    P: Jack Coombs
    P: George Earnshaw