Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rec v's Travel

Quote Originally Posted by jima View Post
    Here we go again zzzzzzzzzzzz TG, you've never taped your son, but yet he turns "easily" on 80mph...maybe, maybe not. Now you've got 4 kids on your 14u team throwing in the 80's. I doubt it. I'm sure this is all important info for your ego, but again, and as usual, it has nothing to do with the discussion at hand. Believe it or not having a talented kid does not make you an expert on youth baseball...oh no, wait, now you'll want to tell me about your D-1 daughter as though that might give your opinion credibilty. jima
    It's all relevant when comparing the avenues to prepare for high school. We have a team where half the kids are at least six feet tall. A talented kid that size should be throwing 80+ if he's a high school prospect.

Regardless of my kid's accomplishments, as far as my background, I've played through D1, coached a BR all-star team to the BRWS and coached 18U travel players who are all now playing college ball. I've been involved with college coaches in the recruiting process with these 18U players. I've also spent a lot of time asking questions of people further up the food chain than me for educational purposes.

So I have a little idea of what it takes. I've been there, done it. My daughter has been there, done it. My son is on the journey. Also, the wife has been there, done it. Did I mention six other family members played past high school. There's been just a little exposure to the process.

By the way. I've never video'ed my kids hitting. I've never had to. They've never had problems that weren't easily corrected. When my son gets his hands moving forward too soon, he knows.

Now before you respond, I'm not the one who made condescending remarks. I only replied. You're the one who interjected yourself into the conversation. I'm trying to have a converation, not a pissing contest.
    Last edited by TG Coach; 08-09-2007 at 07:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TG Coach View Post
    I've played through D1, coached a BR all-star team to the BRWS and coached 18U travel players who are all now playing college ball. I've been involved with college coaches in the recruiting process with these 18U players. .

So I have a little idea of what it takes. I've been there, done it. My daughter has been there, done it. My son is on the journey. Also, the wife has been there, done it. Did I mention six other family members played past high school. There's been just a little exposure to the process.

You son this your son that...the same post every day. I am seriously thinking I would rather read Tom Guerry's posts over yours. I don't understand the need for you to constantly validate yourself, your daughter, your wife and your son. Why? We all know your son is 14 and can hit an 80mph fastball. We all know from hearing you say it 50 times!! that you played D1 baseball at who knows what college. We all know your daughter plays at a fairly high level in college. And we all know your wife and some extended family played some sports in college. Who gives a flying rip?

Do you feel the need to always mention this to try and validate your claims? I mean I'm happy for you, great, you've got some athletic kids and an athletic family. But everytime somebody goes against your grain this gets brought up.
    Last edited by hiddengem; 08-09-2007 at 08:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hiddengem View Post
    You son this your son that...the same post every day. I am seriously thinking I would rather read Tom Guerry's posts over yours. I don't understand the need for you to constantly validate yourself, your daughter, your wife and your son. Why? We all know your son is 14 and can hit an 80mph fastball. We all know from hearing you say it 50 times!! that you played D1 baseball at who knows what college. We all know your daughter plays at a fairly high level in college. And we all know your wife and some extended family played some sports in college. Who gives a flying rip?

Do you feel the need to always mention this to try and validate your claims? I mean I'm happy for you, great, you've got some athletic kids and an athletic family. But everytime somebody goes against your grain this gets brought up.
    Only when questioned in the manner Jima choose to use. Otherwise I'll use their experience as a reference point of an explaination. If I'm explaining why I believe travel is better than rec ball at 13-15 in our area for prepping for high school, I need to use a point of reference. In the case of this thread it's where my son's bat speed and timing is from the challenge of travel play, that it wouldn't be if he played rec ball.

If Jake would accept there are areas where rec ball sucks it wouldn't be such an ongoing discussion. Where I live is far from the only area where rec ball sucks too. Rec ball not what it was when I grew up playing (see explanation earlier in thread). A rec game in our area would put anyone but a parent in a coma.

If Jake would accept there are areas where rec ball sucks it wouldn't be such an ongoing discussion. Where I live is far from the only area where rec ball sucks too. Rec ball not what it was when I grew up playing (see explanation earlier in thread). A rec game in our area would put anyone but a parent in a coma.
    I'm sure Jake accepts that there are areas where Rec ball isn't very good. But let me ask you, why was rec ball once good in your area and now its not?

Quote Originally Posted by hiddengem View Post
    I'm sure Jake accepts that there are areas where Rec ball isn't very good. But let me ask you, why was rec ball once good in your area and now its not?
    This was my point. Where as some kids may not get burnt out from the exhausting travel schedule and quit before the big field There are always kids playing in Rec who could make any travel team but his mommy and daddy don't see the need to stroke their own ego's. (Let's face it imo 70% of travel player's are their for daddy not because they are worried about making a HS team at ages 8-12) I spoke with some fellow parents last night and most responses were "well if we don't play travel my kid won't get a look later on..(h/s etc) because now a day's in big cities you have a better chance of being mayor than playing HS sports. I was watching the start of the LL ws on espn last night as I am sure most was and I kinda laughed when I seen the Ad spot about local LL coach's or parent's dont need to throw catch hit field perfect they just need to be there....and we wonder why most talent comes from other nation's

Just to continue a little in my state it seems as if battle lines are drawn between travel and rec. As I have said we paly Rec in the fall, The coach's kid's are on the team the sponsor's kid then a draft. Our first practice the coach is going on and on about we got lucky and got more spring travel kids than most other team's. I laughed and he asked what was funny, and I said the reason most kids are playing travel is because their parents figure well if rec cost's 80, and travel is 800...travel must be better. We still have great Rec coach's, and we have great travel coach's it's just a shame that people look differently at a kid because he choose's not to play a 60 game schedule as a 10 y/o. I posted last month about a dilema in having other teams courting your kid and playing up. Well our current team is going AAA next year 10u and planning on a 50 game schedule with 5 tourny's. I kindly told him we wouldn't be palying with them next year because we had no plans of turning pro at 10. We will just play up play Rec(most tryout's are over for next year 10 y/o's) or take up tennis!! He's got a decent backhand..Travel tennis HUMMMMMMM

I think our town has a healthy view on the travel rec thing. Coaches communicate about pitch counts, try to not schedule practices on rec game days and try to work together.

Even at the oldest level the most games any travel team plays is 20 plus a season ending tourney.

cost for everything is around 200 bucks for uniforms and the whole season.

We have a travel team an hour from us that plays about 12 games a year in the spring, and when Rec starts they quit. I contacted them and they only accept kid's from their town. This seems like a good way to balance the best of both world's. As far as cost 200 must be nice I think our budget last year with 12 kid's and some sponsor's was about 9,400. Most of that went to our 3 uniforms matching cleat's,hat's,bat bags etc..Hell we spent more time figuring out wardrobe issues before a game than preparing at times.

Only when questioned in the manner Jima choose to use. Otherwise I'll use their experience as a reference point of an explaination. If I'm explaining why I believe travel is better than rec ball at 13-15 in our area for prepping for high school, I need to use a point of reference. In the case of this thread it's where my son's bat speed and timing is from the challenge of travel play, that it wouldn't be if he played rec ball.

I believe travel is better than rec ball at 13-15 in our area for prepping for high school, I need to use a point of reference. In the case of this thread it's where my son's bat speed and timing is from the challenge of travel play, that it wouldn't be if he played rec ball.

I HAVE to agree with TG on this matter...REC ball Sucks by us to..in travel the kid sees way more at bats with high quality pitching,,and that does matter

Quote Originally Posted by wogdoggy View Post
    I believe travel is better than rec ball at 13-15 in our area for prepping for high school, I need to use a point of reference. In the case of this thread it's where my son's bat speed and timing is from the challenge of travel play, that it wouldn't be if he played rec ball.

I HAVE to agree with TG on this matter...REC ball Sucks by us to..in travel the kid sees way more at bats with high quality pitching,,and that does matter
    I think we all agree that Rec is bad in most area's my question was do any of you think that the extreme schedule's force, and burn out alot of kid's with potential and chase them to another sport pre big field? (Some parent's can't keep up as well) I understand that most of your children are older and as alway's I come here for my advice hoping to learn from your experience's. Is TB pre big field ruining youth baseball in America?

Now making a rec league team is an entitlement. Everyone who signs up get to make a team and get playing time. There are kids starting on Babe Ruth teams who can barely hit, field, run and throw.
    What ever happened to the idea that kids should be able to play baseball if they want to?

Even the ones that suck.

It's people like you that are absolutely poisoning the sport with this attitude.

If you want to think this way, please leave to go to select or travel ball.

If you guys looked at yourselves, and what you say, you might begin to understand why interest in baseball is declining. You're absolutely sucking the fun out of the game.
    Last edited by Chris O'Leary; 08-10-2007 at 07:34 AM.
    Just Google my name to find me.

TG - pls do me a favor and don't blame my replys on your insistence to use your family as a point of reference that no one cares about. I realize now that you consider yourself the "Bill O'Reilly" of this site, but HG, me and others are tired of hearing about how great you and your family are...I'm sorry bud, but when I see self pontification, I'll point it out. jima

I'll throw this out fwiw. As I have discussed in previous posts, we live in a small town and virtually all the kids 12 and under play LL and only LL. Over 12 the vast majority who continue in baseball, with only a few exceptions, play BR13-15. The JV team is largely made up of kids who also play BR. The varsity coach is quite good and has a lot of knowledge and contacts. But, again, most of the kids who play varsity come from the local rec programs. In the last couple years I am aware of only two kids aside from my son who played travel at all, and one of those didn't play til the summer before his senior year.

All that being said, I have to also say that the quality of coaching at all levels, including JV, generally sucks. The question then occurs to me: Why do these kids do well in all the post season competition they face. The varsity team this year came one out away from going to states. Last year LL9-10AS team went to states and 11-12 won district. The 13-15 BR team played in the league championship last year and came an inning away from playing in it this year. Four of the five graduating seniors on the varsity team this year are going to colleges with good baseball programs.

Now, my take is that we seem to have a pretty good pool of talent, and the best players will continue playing until they have the good fortune to stumble across a good coach. And, they generally have parents who work with them and encourage them to take advantage of whatever learning opportunities come their way. (a local college coach puts on workshops and summer camps for kids through HS every year that many attend)

Now, I'm not claiming that we turn out players that mlb is knocking down the door for, but they do manage to get themselves into positions where they will be seen by those who know how to get them to the highest levels they are capable of playing. That seems pretty good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris O'Leary View Post
    What ever happened to the idea that kids should be able to play baseball if they want to?

Even the ones that suck.

It's people like you that are absolutely poisoning the sport with this attitude.

If you want to think this way, please leave to go to select or travel ball.

If you guys looked at yourselves, and what you say, you might begin to understand why interest in baseball is declining. You're absolutely sucking the fun out of the game.
    theres no fun in a game when you have to take something off your throw so the other kid can catch it..

You know a while ago, Rick Reilly had an excellent op-ed piece in Sports Illustrated about how Sunday's are no longer sacred due to travel youth sports. He spoke in the article about how it's no longer good to have the kid playing in the local league, they now need to play in the travel league, and for those in the travel league, the travel team is no longer important because the kid needs to play on the regional league team. Instead of traveling locally to games, kids are going 100+ miles to play league games. Families are giving up the entire day just to travel over an hour to a game, play for 2-3 hours and make the 1+ hour travel back. He talked about how Sundays were being lost because of all of the amateur (school age) sports being scheduled on Sundays, which was normally a day of rest.

I'm not so much against Sunday play (it's a free day for a lot of people), but the travel seems to be a bit much. We're losing out on the local level because everyone seems to have this need to leave the local area to keep up with the jonses. The local area is no longer good, it needs to be the travel, and if it isn't the travel, someone is bragging how they're on the regional team or the jr. development team, etc etc.

I guess competition must be so fierce for HS ball in these areas, that the parents are just starting earlier and earlier in fear that their child will fall behind. It kinda sucks when you are in an area, and the local league is the only show in town and the HS is the only HS in town, and if you aren't in favor with the middle school coaches, chances are your stuck for varsity ball.

Again, kinda glad I grew up in NYC where there was plenty of local competition and a bunch of high schools to choose from.

Our travel program plays the neighboring 6 towns the farthest I go is 30 minutes

Quote Originally Posted by wogdoggy View Post
    theres no fun in a game when you have to take something off your throw so the other kid can catch it..
    Uh, yes there is.

I hope you don't coach a rec league team. If you do, I feel sorry for the kids you coach.

You're missing the point of the game.
    Just Google my name to find me.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris O'Leary View Post
    Uh, yes there is.

I hope you don't coach a rec league team. If you do, I feel sorry for the kids you coach.

You're missing the point of the game.

dont worry chris i dont coach and dont worry i dont coach your kid either,,but if you think its fun to play with kids that cant catch a ball then it must be your kid that cant catch..no disrespect chris BUT there is nothing more frustrating especially to my kid.

tough for the better kids to improve when they have to compensate continously for the weaker players..if thats fun to your kid well hes probably the exception
    Last edited by wogdoggy; 08-10-2007 at 09:59 AM.

First off I know he dosent' need me to defend him but lay off Chris and no personal attacks. Just not right. On my son's rec team there were 5 kids who were pretty good and 10 who couldn't figure out which end was up. Those 5 helped those 10 and by the end of the year everyone was better for it.

The 5 did they improve that much baseball wise, yes because their dads continued to work with them on their own time. Sort of the reason why they were the best anyway.

The 10 improved 10 fold and really enjoyed their season.

A rec baseball success story.

Quote Originally Posted by Three A's baseball View Post
    First off I know he dosent' need me to defend him but lay off Chris and no personal attacks. Just not right. On my son's rec team there were 5 kids who were pretty good and 10 who couldn't figure out which end was up. Those 5 helped those 10 and by the end of the year everyone was better for it.

The 5 did they improve that much baseball wise, yes because their dads continued to work with them on their own time. Sort of the reason why they were the best anyway.

The 10 improved 10 fold and really enjoyed their season.

A rec baseball success story.
    personal attacks on CHRIS?
    I like chris BUT he attacked me with the I hope you dont coach cr@p.yeah the point is BASEBALL is supposed to be fun,,and its FUN when you play with kids at your own TALENT LEVEL..

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast