0. You may not vote on this poll
  • ---

0 0%
  • ---

0 0%
Page 421 of 421 FirstFirst ... 321371411419420421
Results 10,501 to 10,518 of 10518

Thread: The Bitter Rivals Thread

Question Do The Boston Red Sox Have What it Takes to Make The Playoffs?

The Boston Red Sox made early splashes this offseason, signing free agent sluggers Pablo Sandoval and Hanley Ramirez to help bolster their anemic offense that helped guide their last place finish in 2014. This year, their lineup looks much more menacing with Hanley and Kung Fu Panda protecting stalwarts David Ortiz, Dustin Pedroia and Mike Napoli.

The Red Sox seemed to be ready to dominate the hot stove, and then they whiffed on Jon Lester, losing out to the Cubs. They responded quickly, snagging many lower-level pitching options and filled their rotation rather quickly, trading away Yoenis Cespedes (who they had an immediate replacement for anyway) for Rick Porcello and trading a trio of unestablished players for Wade Miley. They grabbed Justin Masterson off the wire, presumably finishing off their 2015 rotation, with those 3 joining Clay Buchholz and Joe Kelly.

Is that really the rotation of a division champion? In the always-tough AL East?

Well, for starters, they lack a true ace. Sure Clay Buchholz has shown a lot of promise in the past, but is he a guy you want leading your staff? His inconsistencies are well documented. He’s posted 5.34 and 4.56 ERAs in 2 of the past 3 years, with an injury-plagued, though great 2013 sandwiched in between. Buchholz has never tossed 200 innings in a season, and he’s only made more than 16 starts three times in his 8 year career. His phenomenal All Star season (17-7, 2.33) of 2010 keeps drifting further into the distance, and there are some serious question marks surrounding Boston’s likely opening day starter.

Rick Porcello, the likely number 2 guy, is coming off a career year with Detroit. His overall numbers were modest (15-13, 3.43) but was dominant at times and tossed 3 compete game shutouts. He appeared to finally figure things out in his age-25 season, which is a plus for a guy with a career 4.30 ERA. He’s still young and has 6 full years of big league experience under his belt, so he could be a candidate for a breakout season. The problem here is not Porcello himself, but the fact that he projects as their number 2 starter.

Wade Miley appeared to be heading towards ace status after his All Star 2012 rookie season, but has since regressed in both of his last 2 years. He struggled pretty mightily at times in 2014 but still managed to toss 200 innings. If the Red Sox can get 2012 Miley (16-10, 3.33) instead of 2014 Miley (8-12, 4.34), they’ll be in excellent shape, but it will mean he will have to reverse the trend he has been heading in. Either way, Miley still projects as a solid number 3 starter.

Then, it gets a bit more messy. Justin Masterson projects as a starter, and he’s coming off a year where he was one of the worst pitchers in all of baseball. He posted a 7.04 ERA in 9 appearances after being traded to the Cardinals, and he wasn’t much better with the Indians. He’s been an All Star in the past, but taking a flyer on him seems more fitted for a team in desperate need of help as opposed to a team that has aspirations of going back to the World Series.

Lastly, Joe Kelly appears to be the favorite to grab the 5th rotation spot. He’s never pitched more than 124 innings in his brief career. While he claims he will win the Cy Young this year, his career stats don’t show much evidence to support him, and his low strikeout rate could hamper him over the course of a season.

The Red Sox will score runs this year. Their lineup should be fantastic. On paper, they should be able to compete in the East based off of their offense. But, with all of the question marks in their lineup, all the inconsistencies they’ve had from all 5 projected starters, and their complete lack of a true ace, there’s slim chance that the Red Sox have a rotation that can compete with their AL East competition. They’re going to have to hope their offense is fantastic throughout the season. In the MLB, you don’t go far without pitching

The Sports Journal
    Ken Fougère

Eight Time
    World Series Champions

Quote Originally Posted by TonyK View Post
    They look deflated to me.
    I'm dying!

Okay... Wagers.

Here's what I got...

1. Signatures -- whomever finishes better in the division wins the other's from close of the season until opening day.
    2. Avatars -- to the team that wins the season series until opening day.
    3. All of the above -- if one of the teams wins the WORLD SERIES BOTH the signature and avatar, regardless of the above, until the reign ends (mathematical elimination).
    Last edited by YankeeMan; 01-31-2015 at 03:54 PM.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeMan View Post
    Okay... Wagers.

Here's what I got...

1. Signatures -- whomever finishes better in the division wins the other's from close of the season until opening day.
    2. Avatars -- to the team that wins the season series until opening day.
    3. All of the above -- if one of the teams wins the WORLD SERIES BOTH the signature and avatar, regardless of the above, until the reign ends (mathematical elimination).
    Accepted. (Of course.)
    Ken Fougère

Eight Time
    World Series Champions

Congratulations on the Cheatriots victory in Super Bowl XLIX!

Thumbs up NUff said!

Patriots win Super Bowl XLIX; Tom Brady MVP

Tom Brady threw four touchdown passes to earn MVP honors as New England beat the Seahawks 28-24.

0ap3000000467537.jpg
    Ken Fougère

Eight Time
    World Series Champions

Thumbs up Nine in 13 years !

Just another (9th since 2001) Championship for 'Titletown' !

Ken Fougère

Eight Time
    World Series Champions

Check this out:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain...-to-the-score/

Ken, you really should get an XBOX ONE before next season... Soz I can whip your butt.

I've read many versions of "Deflategate" and understand how the media frenzy ballooned it into a huge issue. But it was a complete non-issue during the Super Bowl - Brady set a Super Bowl record with 37 completions against the best defense in the NFL, his receivers didn't drop properly inflated balls, his rushers didn't fumble the ball, and his passes were crisp and on target for the most part all night long.

The game was exciting and a nail-biter unlike some previous Super Bowl games.
    "He's tougher than a railroad sandwich."
    "You'se Got The Eye Of An Eagle."

I've read many versions of "Deflategate" and understand how the media frenzy ballooned it into a huge issue. But it was a complete non-issue during the Super Bowl - Brady set a Super Bowl record with 37 completions against the best defense in the NFL, his receivers didn't drop properly inflated balls, his rushers didn't fumble the ball, and his passes were crisp and on target for the most part all night long.

The game was exciting and a nail-biter unlike some previous Super Bowl games.
    A couple of balls did slip out of his hands here and there. But a deflated ball is an advantage in cold weather... It's not very cold in Arizona. Still, people just need to let it go. And, next season, there'll probably be an official that just stays with the game balls. Problem solved.

Check this out:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain...-to-the-score/

Ken, you really should get an XBOX ONE before next season... Soz I can whip your butt.
    I recently invested $400. on a PS4 and then upgraded it's memory for another $100.
    You and my son can both forget about me getting an XBOX ONE . . .
    Ken Fougère

Eight Time
    World Series Champions

A couple of balls did slip out of his hands here and there. But a deflated ball is an advantage in cold weather... It's not very cold in Arizona. Still, people just need to let it go. And, next season, there'll probably be an official that just stays with the game balls. Problem solved.
    He's another U of Michigan guy with deflated balls...that's all I'm trying to say, that's all.

We'll hear about the NFL's decision eventually and the league won't mention it screwed up the investigation so the Patriots got a reprieve.

Thumbs up Ya baby!

He's another U of Michigan guy with deflated balls...that's all I'm trying to say, that's all.
    WOW. Even I couldn't improve on that most eloquent statement!

You're getting so much better at this, ripping lately . . . nod.gif
    Ken Fougère

Eight Time
    World Series Champions

Quote Originally Posted by KenFougere View Post
    WOW. Even I couldn't improve on that most eloquent statement!

You're getting so much better at this, ripping lately . . . nod.gif
    "It ain't deflated until it's deflated."

Speaking of deflated egos...the Yankees just got outbid by the Red Sox for 19-year old Yoan Moncada of Cuba. The 6' 2" phenom is supposedly a five-tool infielder who played second base last year. The Yankees front office "drew" the line on paying more than a $27 million bonus, and the Red Sox bid around $30 million to sign him. Moncada has been compared to Robinson Cano, but the NYY must feel that Stephen Drew is good enough to be their answer at second base for many years to come.

If I'm a Yankees fan I gotta stop payment on my season tickets check, and spend the money on more DVD's of the glory days. Hopefully their front office will stay intact for another few years as the team ages like fine wine.

Exclamation Great acquisition!

Ya that was quite the coup! I since have heard that he will now rank as the #2 top prospect in the country and the Red Sox have the most prospect players in the nations top 100 than any other MLB team . . .
    Ken Fougère

Eight Time
    World Series Champions

If I'm a Yankees fan I gotta stop payment on my season tickets check, and spend the money on more DVD's of the glory days. Hopefully their front office will stay intact for another few years as the team ages like fine wine.
    Woow. Another good rip! My how you've improved!
    I only wish
    YankeeMan was around to hear you roar . . .
    Ken Fougère

Eight Time
    World Series Champions

Post Gammons on Moncada

MLB Tonight: Gammons on Moncada

Peter Gammons joins the guys on MLB Tonight to discuss the impact of the Yoan Moncada signing for the Boston Red Sox

e8bc5059-e4b6-4268-af0f-4f4863f8b2b0.png

Video Link ----> http://m.mlb.com/video/v38484983/gam...ct-for-red-sox
    Ken Fougère

Eight Time
    World Series Champions

Page 421 of 421 FirstFirst ... 321371411419420421