• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PopTop
    Fat Old Guy
    • Jan 2000

This thread has had quite a life.

Finally got around to reading most of the posts here that have been made since the thread first appeared a few months ago ... WHEW! ... It really did turn into the Sox-Yanks thread, didn't it?! ... For the record, the two biggest posters in the thread have been Ken with a whopping 145 (some team Forums don't have that many posts!) and YankeeMan a distant 2nd with 187.

So for my 4th post in the thread, what about the Astros-Red Sox or Astros-Yankees rivalries? ... Hey, it was worth a try since Houston is traveling through the Bronx and Beantown next week for their first appearances at both The Stadium and Fenway.

And on the other end of the rivalry spectrum, how about the Astros and Orioles who are meeting for the very first time this week in Houston ... Pretty odd that the two have NEVER played each other at least in a spring training game or two.
    Never confuse character with geography --- Red Smith
    Astros Daily

Comment

• CardFanNV
      IH8TINO
      • Jan 2003

Pop ......................

Didn't the Yanks play the Stros in the first game in the Astrodome?
      Living with the Curse of Keith Hernandez since 1982

Comment

• aroundthehorn
        • Apr 2003

Re: Lets see...whatever could you be referring to?

Originally posted by KenFougere
        No...I don't think it will take Clemens six starts to reach #300.

{seriously now, wouldn't it be great if he could reach 4000K's in his 300th win!} Now that's something no one would ever duplicate!
        It's pretty simple to see what he was referring too, it's not about it taking Clemens 6 starts to get win #300 at all (if it did take that long, something is seriously wrong with Roger)

Originally, you posted that the Red Sox had lost 3 in a row finally, the last team to do that this season...

... and going for six. Means that with a loss tonight in Pittsburgh, Boston will have been defeated for 6 games in a row, double the 3 in a row that they accomplished this past weekend in Toronto.
        Chris Smolen

"High..., pop fly.... That wouldn't be a home run in a phone booth" -
        Harry Caray

Comment

• PopTop
          Fat Old Guy
          • Jan 2000

Correctamundo, CardFan ... The first exhibition games played in both the Astrodome and the new Arthur Andersen Memorial Stadium downtown featured the Yankees as the opposition ... Houston won both games, with Mantle and Ledee hitting the first "unofficial" homers in both parks.
          Never confuse character with geography --- Red Smith
          Astros Daily

Comment

• CardFanNV
            IH8TINO
            • Jan 2003

Originally posted by PopTop
            Correctamundo, CardFan ... The first exhibition games played in both the Astrodome and the new Arthur Andersen Memorial Stadium downtown featured the Yankees as the opposition ... Houston won both games, with Mantle and Ledee hitting the first "unofficial" homers in both parks.
            I was much more enamored with the nicknames "Ten-run" Field and Bancruptcy Park ......................

Both located in beautiful Stockscam, TX. Just across from the Martha Stewart Home for Wayward Investor Girls ..................
            Living with the Curse of Keith Hernandez since 1982

Comment

• KenFougere
              Sr Member BB-Almanac 1998
              • Jan 2000

Re: Re: Lets see...whatever could you be referring to?

Originally posted by aroundthehorn
              It's pretty simple to see what he was referring too, it's not about it taking Clemens 6 starts to get win #300 at all (if it did take that long, something is seriously wrong with Roger)

Originally, you posted that the Red Sox had lost 3 in a row finally, the last team to do that this season...

... and going for six. Means that with a loss tonight in Pittsburgh, Boston will have been defeated for 6 games in a row, double the 3 in a row that they accomplished this past weekend in Toronto.
              Yes, I know what he meant. The smilie at the end is winking...
              {It's the rivalry thing - you try to give no satisfaction. So, "tongue in cheek" is usually the rule.} . . . . . . Get it?

Comment

• YankeeMan
                SABR member since 1994
                • Feb 2003

Originally posted by Biggerin
                I've come to the conclusion that ken and yankeeman are, in fact, the same person with multiple personalities.
                I have never been so insulted in all my life.

BTW Ken, I knew that you knew and you knew that I knew, ya' know?

Speaking of rivials... The Yanks lost 3-4 to the Reds today.

WORLD CHAMPIONS!

1923 • 1927 • 1928 • 1932 • 1936 • 1937 • 1938 • 1939 • 1941 • 1943

1947 • 1949 • 1950 • 1951 • 1952 • 1953 • 1956 • 1958 • 1961 • 1962

1977 • 1978 • 1996 • 1998 • 1999 • 2000 • 2009

Comment

• Mattingly
                  Yankee fan & proud of it!
                  • Feb 2003

Originally posted by Biggerin
                  I've come to the conclusion that ken and yankeeman are, in fact, the same person with multiple personalities.
                  I'll admit to having been VT Sox Fan in another life, but who's counting reincarnations anyway?
                  Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                  Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                  THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                  Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

• VTSoxFan
                    Ever Hopeful BoSox Mod
                    • Jan 2000

Hey that's news to me! What else has my astral body been doing when I'm not paying attention? Good grief! Is there a past life regression therapist in the house? How'd I get dragged into this, anyway?
                    --Annie
                    Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, enemy to none. -Benjamin Franklin, statesman, author, and inventor (1706-1790)
                    Remember Yellowdog
                    ABNY

Comment

• Biggerin
                      I heart RBI's
                      • Aug 2002

Yeah, I gotta agree with that one, too...
                      "Endlessly deferred redemption provides, paradoxically enough, its own kind of reward... It tests our faith and marks us as spiritually stronger than other fans for whom entrance into heaven is a far cheaper thing."
                      -Scott Stossel

Comment

• aroundthehorn
                        • Apr 2003

Re: Re: Re: Lets see...whatever could you be referring to?

Originally posted by KenFougere
                        Yes, I know what he meant. The smilie at the end is winking...
                        {It's the rivalry thing - you try to give no satisfaction. So, "tongue in cheek" is usually the rule.} . . . . . . Get it?
                        I got it, I dig what you're saying, sorry but I had a little cork on the brain !!!
                        Chris Smolen

"High..., pop fly.... That wouldn't be a home run in a phone booth" -
                        Harry Caray

Comment

• mikey_s
                          • Jan 2000

16 pages!!!!

When did this thread start???

How did it get to 16 pages???

there are 4800 views and 400 posts.....

Is this a record.......

Maybe this thread should be locked.......

Maybe WE should be locked up???

Comment

• Biggerin
                            I heart RBI's
                            • Aug 2002

no way!

This thread deserves the "Best... Thread... Evar" award.
                            "Endlessly deferred redemption provides, paradoxically enough, its own kind of reward... It tests our faith and marks us as spiritually stronger than other fans for whom entrance into heaven is a far cheaper thing."
                            -Scott Stossel

Comment

• YankeeMan
                              SABR member since 1994
                              • Feb 2003

Locking this thread?

I'm the Mod here = "fat chance"

This is the "best thread ever" -- in any fourm.
                              WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Comment

• YankeeMan
                                SABR member since 1994
                                • Feb 2003

This is the 400th Post in the thread!

& the Red Sox have still not won a World Series.
                                WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X