• ---

0 0%
  • ---

0 0%
Page 403 of 407 FirstFirst ... 303353393401402403404405 ... LastLast
Results 10,051 to 10,075 of 10170

Thread: The Bitter Rivals Thread

Quote Originally Posted by SDL View Post
    Chick Hearn couldn't hold Johnny Most's jockstrap!
    You got that right!
    Ken Fougère

Eight Time & Current
    World Series Champions

Quote Originally Posted by TonyK View Post
    Or his cigar.
    You got that right too!
    Ken Fougère

Eight Time & Current
    World Series Champions

Chick Hearn couldn't hold Johnny Most's jockstrap!
    Johnny Who? [Oh, and screw Havlicek too -- Magic was better.]

BTW, check out this page on Chuck Hearn (and especially the expressions he added to the common lexicon of basketball). What does your guy got? "Havlicek stole the ball!?" Please....

What did Johnny have? Need you ask???

"He nicknamed Laker star point guard Magic Johnson "Crybaby Johnson" after Johnson successfully challenged a referee's call. He called Magic this negative nickname throughout the remainder of the 1980s, announcing lines like "Cry with the no-look pass!" and "Crybaby with the rebound!"[2] He also nicknamed Washington Bullets players Rick Mahorn and Jeff Ruland as "McFilthy" and "McNasty", interchanging the two at his whim, and was very critical of the Detroit Pistons for their physical play during the late 1980s. He was particularly hard on Bill Laimbeer (whom he memorably called a "dirty rotten player"), Dennis Rodman, Rick Mahorn and Isiah Thomas, whom he referred to as Little Lord Fauntleroy."

He called Bobby Jones, Steve Mix and Andrew Toney of the Sixers "The Hatchet Brothers"

Johnny was the Most!

http://youtu.be/Yu8Da3pe9h0
    Last edited by SDL; 03-06-2014 at 07:43 PM.
    Man, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

Question Chuck Hearn lives on!!!

What did Johnny have? Need you ask???

"He nicknamed Laker star point guard Magic Johnson "Crybaby Johnson" after Johnson successfully challenged a referee's call. He called Magic this negative nickname throughout the remainder of the 1980s, announcing lines like "Cry with the no-look pass!" and "Crybaby with the rebound!"[2] He also nicknamed Washington Bullets players Rick Mahorn and Jeff Ruland as "McFilthy" and "McNasty", interchanging the two at his whim, and was very critical of the Detroit Pistons for their physical play during the late 1980s. He was particularly hard on Bill Laimbeer (whom he memorably called a "dirty rotten player"), Dennis Rodman, Rick Mahorn and Isiah Thomas, whom he referred to as Little Lord Fauntleroy."

He called Bobby Jones, Steve Mix and Andrew Toney of the Sixers "The Hatchet Brothers"

Johnny was the Most!

http://youtu.be/Yu8Da3pe9h0
    And nobody outside of Boston cared. Conversely, how many times have you heard other announcers use the expression "airball" and, thus, it seems to me that Mr. Hearns left a more lasting impression.

SDL: Please note that I never followed basketball until after my family moved to Malibu when I was 13 (January 1980).
    Last edited by YankeeMan; 03-07-2014 at 02:02 PM.

Cool

As much as I have LOVED pointing out, (multiple times), to YANKEEMAN how no team in professional sports history has ever matched or will ever match what the Celtics have accomplished for consecutive championships, I really can't wait for the ring ceremony on Opening Day at Fenway Park!
    Ken Fougère

Eight Time & Current
    World Series Champions

Quote Originally Posted by KenFougere View Post

...I really can't wait for the ring ceremony on Opening Day at Fenway Park!
    That's because winning a World Series title has been considered a significant accomplishment for over 100 years.

The NBA Finals... not so much.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeMan View Post
    That's because winning a World Series title has been considered a significant accomplishment for over 100 years.

The NBA Finals... not so much.
    I understand your point that baseball has a history that spans over 125 years, but, to me, a championship in any of the 4 major professional sports is very hard to accomplish and should be considered equal. The NFL even more so because the Super Bowl is a single game, not a best 4 out of 7 series like the NHL, NBA & MLB. -
    Ken Fougère

Eight Time & Current
    World Series Champions

I understand your point that baseball has a history that spans over 125 years, but, to me, a championship in any of the 4 major professional sports is very hard to accomplish and should be considered equal. The NFL even more so because the Super Bowl is a single game, not a best 4 out of 7 series like the NHL, NBA & MLB. -

Okay, then let me ask you this: Since the National League was founded in 1876 (thus beginning the "Major League Era"), how many of those championships earned would equate in level of difficulty to the 2013 Red Sox? Not many "B.R." [see note below].

Consider this... In 1903 the World Series began as an "exhibition" and the Red Sox later claimed (after winning) that they were the "World Champions." Thus, in 1904, the NY Giants refused to play the series. Also, corruption was rampant -- a gaggle of players were selling games daily, etc. Historians put the start of the "modern era" with the introduction of the new baseball and the banning of the Black Sox. To me, the modern era might start even later... (Say 1923? ) I think of it as "Before Ruth/After Ruth" ("B.R./A.R.") and personality of the entire sport in flux around this larger-than-life figure.

The "modern era" in the NFL = Super Bowl I

The "modern era" in the NHL = Gretzky

The "modern era" in the NBA = Magic+Bird

Last edited by YankeeMan; 03-09-2014 at 10:43 PM.

Cool

Okay, then let me ask you this: Since the National League was founded in 1876 (thus beginning the "Major League Era"), how many of those championships earned would equate in level of difficulty to the 2013 Red Sox? Not many "B.R." [see note below].

Consider this... In 1903 the World Series began as an "exhibition" and the Red Sox later claimed (after winning) that they were the "World Champions." Thus, in 1904, the NY Giants refused to play the series. Also, corruption was rampant -- a gaggle of players were selling games daily, etc. Historians put the start of the "modern era" with the introduction of the new baseball and the banning of the Black Sox. To me, the modern era might start even later... (Say 1923? ) I think of it as "Before Ruth/After Ruth" ("B.R./A.R.") and personality of the entire sport in flux around this larger-than-life figure.

The "modern era" in the NFL = Super Bowl I

The "modern era" in the NHL = Gretzky

The "modern era" in the NBA = Magic+Bird
    Ok, I can see your points and I agree somewhat with all you've said, EXCEPT.

The "modern era" in the NHL = Bobby Orr ( Have you even SEEN him play?) He totally changed everything about the NHL.

Orr is widely acknowledged to be one of the greatest hockey players of all time. As a defenceman, Orr revolutionized how the game was played. He used his ice skating speed and scoring and play-making abilities to revolutionize the position.

As of 2013,
    • Orr remains the only defenceman to have won the league scoring title. Not once, but twice with two Art Ross Trophies

• Orr holds the record for most points and assists in a single season by a defenceman.

• Orr won a record eight consecutive Norris Trophies as the NHL's best defenceman

• He won three consecutive Hart Trophies as the league's Most Valuable Player.

• Orr was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1979 at age 31. He was the youngest to be inducted into the Hall at that time.

And I feel...
    The "modern era" in the NBA = Bill Russell + Wilt Chamberlain
    Last edited by KenFougere; 03-11-2014 at 07:29 AM.
    Ken Fougère

Eight Time & Current
    World Series Champions

Hey Ken, I'm new on this thread. Just got a question: Is this Beantown against the world or something? I'm all up against bashing the Lakers and the Yankees and the Heat.
    "I am not too serious about anything. I believe you have to enjoy yourself to get the most out of your ability."-
    George Brett

Question Whose your favorite and least favorite teams?

Quote Originally Posted by yankillaz View Post
    Hey Ken, I'm new on this thread. Just got a question: Is this Beantown against the world or something? I'm all up against bashing the Lakers and the Yankees and the Heat.
    Welcome yankillaz. I started this thread over 12 years ago with one subject in mind. Favorite rivalries. No rules. Just speak your mind and let your opinions flow . . .
    Ken Fougère

Eight Time & Current
    World Series Champions

Ok. Talking about rivalries:

Toronto Blue Jays vs. Oakland Athletics from 1989 to 1992. I HATED Dave Stewart. Of course, then he went to Toronto so I HAD to like him.
    "I am not too serious about anything. I believe you have to enjoy yourself to get the most out of your ability."-
    George Brett

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by yankillaz View Post
    Ok. Talking about rivalries:

Toronto Blue Jays vs. Oakland Athletics from 1989 to 1992. I HATED Dave Stewart. Of course, then he went to Toronto so I HAD to like him.
    Hey yankillaz, Welcome to the THREAD OF DOOM! There's only ONE RULE in here...

Ken has his opinion and he thinks everyone's entitled to it!

Hmm, no, wait, I think that's me!

Jays-A's? And you didn't have to like Stewart. I've despised A-Rod his entire tenure in pinstripes.
    Last edited by YankeeMan; 03-11-2014 at 10:37 PM.

And I feel...
    The "modern era" in the NBA = Bill Russell + Wilt Chamberlain
    Really, because in 1979 (year before Magic-Bird ), except in certain cities (most notably Seattle and Washington), some of the games of the NBA "World Championship Series" (later known as the "NBA Finals") were shown on "tape delay" (after the 11 o'clock news on the east coast). [And, Ken, you're old enough to remember that!] Does that sound "major league" to you?
    Last edited by YankeeMan; 03-11-2014 at 11:16 PM.

Modern NBA began in 1984, the famous draft year.

I had to like him, Yankeeman, he gave my team a different edge.
    George Brett

Hey yankillaz, Welcome to the THREAD OF DOOM! There's only ONE RULE in here...

Ken has his opinion and he thinks everyone's entitled to it!

Hmm, no, wait, I think that's me!

I've never laughed so loud and long in my life! - Again, you SO suck! -
    Ken Fougère

Eight Time & Current
    World Series Champions

Of the Bruins two Cups, of the Orr era, the first one keep in mind came under rules that dictated one of the expansion teams would always make the finals, as they expansion teams were placed in the Western Conference and the "Original Six" comprised the Eastern Conference. The St. Louis Blues never offered much in the way of opposition.

72 against the Rangers was different though if Ratelle doesn't break his ankle its probably a different story.

The Bruins then managed to lose the Finals five times before winning another Cup. A mark surpassed only by the Flyers who have lost the Cup Finals six times since their last victory.

I also think had Don Cherry not committed his "too many men on the ice" blunder in the 79 Semis, they play the Rangers and the Rangers knock them off.

And I would make the case that never before or since was there more excitement in the USA over the NHL then when the Rangers won the Cup in 94.

As a Yankee fan, I can't argue with the success of the Red Sox in winning three times in ten years. What I can argue with is how Red Sox management hypocritically likes to act like their success is being done through Moneyball style means and that they can still play the "underdog" in relation to the Yankees which is garbage and trying to have both sides of an argument. I can respect the Red Sox more if they can acknowledge that they finally won when they learned to have ownership that was *like* the Yankees instead of letting the ghost of Tom Yawkey (the most undeserving member of the Hall of Fame period. Steinbrenner and Jacob Ruppert both should have been put in before Yawkey ever was since his achievements were the most destructive to any franchise in the history of the game) still run their operation.

Really, because in 1979 (year before Magic-Bird ), except in certain cities (most notably Seattle and Washington), some of the games of the NBA "World Championship Series" (later known as the "NBA Finals") were shown on "tape delay" (after the 11 o'clock news on the east coast). [And, Ken, you're old enough to remember that!] Does that sound "major league" to you?
    The reason I picked the Bill Russell - Wilt Chamberlin era is because of their decade long fierce rivalry, {boarder-line hatred for each other}. Chamberlin had all the personal scoring records while Russell listened to and totally bought into "Red" Auerbach's team concept which is why Wilt won all the personal accolades and Russell & the Celtics won all the Championships...

BTW, As a coach, "Red" Auerbach won 938 games and nine National Basketball Association championships in ten years.
    As general manager and team president of the Celtics, he won an additional seven NBA titles, for a grand total of 16 in a span of 29 years,
    making him the most successful team official in the history of ALL North American professional sports.
    Ken Fougère

Eight Time & Current
    World Series Champions

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by epaddon View Post
    Of the Bruins two Cups, of the Orr era, the first one keep in mind came under rules that dictated one of the expansion teams would always make the finals, as they expansion teams were placed in the Western Conference and the "Original Six" comprised the Eastern Conference. The St. Louis Blues never offered much in the way of opposition.

72 against the Rangers was different though if Ratelle doesn't break his ankle its probably a different story.

The Bruins then managed to lose the Finals five times before winning another Cup. A mark surpassed only by the Flyers who have lost the Cup Finals six times since their last victory.

I also think had Don Cherry not committed his "too many men on the ice" blunder in the 79 Semis, they play the Rangers and the Rangers knock them off.

And I would make the case that never before or since was there more excitement in the USA over the NHL then when the Rangers won the Cup in 94.
    It's my opinion, the Bruins were the best team in the 1970 playoffs. Proof: They beat the Rangers, (4-2), who finished only 2 wins behind Boston in the regular season. Then they swept the 1st place Blackhawks in the semi's. Clearly no one was going to beat the Bruins in the playoffs that year. Weather an original six team or expansion.

1970 Playoffs.png
    In 1972 the Rangers would have lost to the Bruins with or without Rattle. Boston was too powerful offensively for the Rangers to overcome. (Reg. Season Record: Bruins 5W - Rangers 1W)
    Ken Fougère

Eight Time & Current
    World Series Champions

Quote Originally Posted by epaddon View Post
    The reason I picked the Bill Russell - Wilt Chamberlin era is because of their decade long fierce rivalry, {boarder-line hatred for each other}. Chamberlin had all the personal scoring records while Russell listened to and totally bought into "Red" Auerbach's team concept which is why Wilt won all the personal accolades and Russell & the Celtics won all the Championships...

BTW, As a coach, "Red" Auerbach won 938 games and nine National Basketball Association championships in ten years.
    As general manager and team president of the Celtics, he won an additional seven NBA titles, for a grand total of 16 in a span of 29 years,
    making him the most successful team official in the history of ALL North American professional sports.
    Yes, and throughout the decades, the Big Ten Conference has had a GREAT RIVALRY in football...

But no one would legitimately claim it's the dominate conference in football. My point is this... Back in the 1960's, if you were a talented high school athlete with pro potential in two sports -- one being basketball (the other football or baseball), which one would you follow <all other factors being equal>? Clearly, if you're pragmatic about it, it's NOT basketball. This directly affects the potential "level of competion." Now, flash forward to today: same kid, same situation. Basketball's not such a bad choice now. But I know, even if you think I'm right, you must hold the party line.
    Last edited by YankeeMan; 03-12-2014 at 10:16 PM.

Yes, and throughout the decades, the Big Ten Conference has had a GREAT RIVALRY in football...

But no one would legitimately claim it's the dominate conference in football. My point is this... Back in the 1960's, if you were a talented high school athlete with pro potential in two sports -- one being basketball (the other football or baseball), which one would you follow <all other factors being equal>? Clearly, if you're pragmatic about it, it's NOT basketball. This directly affects the potential "level of completion." Now, flash forward to today: same kid, same situation. Basketball's not such a bad choice now. But I know, even if you think I'm right, you must hold the party line.
    Probably the most lucid point I've ever heard you make. Prescription perhaps?
    Ken Fougère

Eight Time & Current
    World Series Champions

... Prescription perhaps?
    Yeah, but I can't remember if the doctor said take one pill three times a day or three pills once a day. So, just to be safe, I'm doing both! [Hey, I'd read the instructions on the label but, Whoa, after I take those first three pills in the morning, boy is my vision blurry. ]

Lightbulb The missing link!

Yeah, but I can't remember if the doctor said take one pill three times a day or three pills once a day. So, just to be safe, I'm doing both! [Hey, I'd read the instructions on the label but, Whoa, after I take those first three pills in the morning, boy is my vision blurry. ]
    Finally. This explains, 'You'. And why you've become a, 'Yankee fan'. -

You poor bastarid . . .
    Ken Fougère

Eight Time & Current
    World Series Champions

Page 403 of 407 FirstFirst ... 303353393401402403404405 ... LastLast