• ---

0 0%
  • ---

0 0%
Page 370 of 419 FirstFirst ... 270320360368369370371372380 ... LastLast
Results 9,226 to 9,250 of 10464

Thread: The Bitter Rivals Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Mattingly View Post
    So who are the St Charles county people in the baseball fan world, and who are teh West County people in the same? As they relate to the Cards-Cubs, and the Yanks-BoSox, please.
    Very simple: Yankees are the west county people: arrogant, spoiled, and have all the hardware (cash) to back up their smugness. You don't like them, but at least they aren't phony. The Red Sox are the St.Charles people - typicaly far inferior to the west county people (Yankees), but they are arrogant and smug anyway. A few recent instances of similar Yankee-like success makes them almost unberrable.

You could make a similar argument for Cardinal/Cub too.

Seriously, nobody sees the irony in Rede Sox fans constantly trying to act like/prove their franchise is superior to the one that has won almost 1/4 of all WS titles?

I am sure you understood the analogy, however.

Also, SDL - are you referring to me as the "one of them here." First, I am not rich (at all), I have not "come down" on anybody once (much less "often) - just giving my personal observations on what I see as a sociological parallel between these Yankee vs. Sox debates and something I see in my community. Finally, I very well know exactly what I am talking about. You may disagree with my analogy, but the analogy is well reseasoned and symbolizes a real truth - the Yankees have had far, far more sucess than the Red Sox. I'm not tryingto anger anybody - just saying an observation.
    Last edited by Bothrops Atrox; 10-24-2008 at 08:41 PM.
    1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
    The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

161st St & River Ave (by way of Northern NJ)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by STLCards2 View Post
    Very simple: Yankees are the west county people: arrogant, spoiled, and have all the hardware (cash) to back up their smugness. You don't like them, but at least they aren't phony. The Red Sox are the St.Charles people - typicaly far inferior to the west county people (Yankees), but they are arrogant and smug anyway. A few recent instances of similar Yankee-like success makes them almost unberrable.
    All depends. If you're talking about people who actually love the players and the game, discuss the game wisely and know fans of other teams, I'd disagree. If referring to fans who act like it's so easy to beat other teams, act like the best free agents are theirs for the taking and expect opposing GMs to trade their best players for undesirable players like Igawa, Giambi, Matsui and Damon, then I'd agree. Every winning team has fans who are spoiled rotten.
    You could make a similar argument for Cardinal/Cub too.
    So who are the "haves" and the "have-nots" amongst the Cards and Cubbies?
    Seriously, nobody sees the irony in Rede Sox fans constantly trying to act like/prove their franchise is superior to the one that has won almost 1/4 of all WS titles?
    I don't know if the RS team is superior or not to the Yankee team. I just know that they've drafted quite well, if you look at people like Pedroia, Ellsbury, Papelbon , Youkilis (one "not one of my faves player"), and a few others.
    I am sure you understood the analogy, however.
    Not really. I've never considered myself as one of the "haves". I love the Yankee history like any other Yankee fan, but each year, the team must put up its skills an win those games. If not, the country club awaits you in October!
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

All depends. If you're talking about people who actually love the players and the game, discuss the game wisely and know fans of other teams, I'd disagree. If referring to fans who act like it's so easy to beat other teams, act like the best free agents are theirs for the taking and expect opposing GMs to trade their best players for undesirable players like Igawa, Giambi, Matsui and Damon, then I'd agree. Every winning team has fans who are spoiled rotten.
    Yeah. I am certainly not refering to the great fans around here- this site is known for its intelligent and courteous fans. I was focusing more on the perception of Yankees and Red Sox-ism more than fans. I wasn't trying to stir things up - just thinking aloud. Maybe the post ws ill-advised as an outsider. I guess you have to be a Yankees or Sox fan to get taken seriously when talking about the other side.

You are right about every franchise having spoiled fans. Cardinal fans have a hard time putting some things into perspective as well.

Yeah. I am certainly not refering to the great fans around here- this site is known for its intelligent and courteous fans. I was focusing more on the perception of Yankees and Red Sox-ism more than fans. I wasn't trying to stir things up - just thinking aloud. Maybe the post ws ill-advised as an outsider. I guess you have to be a Yankees or Sox fan to get taken seriously when talking about the other side.

You are right about every franchise having spoiled fans. Cardinal fans have a hard time putting some things into perspective as well.
    Thats the truth, some get all over "some" Yankee fans. Yes some are obnoxious, probably from all the success over the years, not to excuse them but any other city would do the same, it just happened to be NY.

Not much difference in fans in all the city, some good, some jerks.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Sometimes people get the wrong impression about Yankee fans. If you watch the games, you'll see what appears to be 55,000 Yankee fans, yet there's no such thing as a home game where no visiting fans are present. Never ever.

There are countless Yankee fans who saw Mick in his heyday, but the prices and where they live have kept them away. They're still Yankee fans, but never to be seen on TV. A few have seen DiMaggio play, and a few I know of on another board saw Yogi's rook season (1947, but he played in 1946).

I never get caught up in the thing about what is a "real Yankee" or a "real Yankee fan". So long as you respect the game, respect other fans and act like a good person, I don't worry too much. Now of course, if they root for the Red Sox ... , I may make an exception or two.
    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Get bullied around by the "superior" team's "fans" for decades and see if you don't rub in your recent success in the face of the jerks...I'll bet good money that you would do it.
    Best posts ever:
    Quote Originally Posted by nymdan View Post
    Too... much... math... head... hurts...
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthMayBond View Post
    I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Quote Originally Posted by efin98 View Post
    Get bullied around by the "superior" team's "fans" for decades and see if you don't rub in your recent success in the face of the jerks...I'll bet good money that you would do it.
    Yeah, I probably would. Remember, I was making a sociologicial observation, not making a moral judgement. I can definitely see why Red Sox fans dislike the Yankees so much.

Yeah, I probably would. Remember, I was making a sociologicial observation, not making a moral judgement. I can definitely see why Red Sox fans dislike the Yankees so much.
    True. Think of it as a David vs. Goliath situation(somewhat fits the story, if taken literally not religiously).
    Best posts ever:

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Hey, don't worry about that. Nothing about that situation that a car with a big trunk, a good shovel and a large soil field wouldn't cure.

Hey, don't worry about that. Nothing about that situation that a car with a big trunk, a good shovel and a large soil field wouldn't cure.

Sounds tempting for some of the Rays fans down here. At least Yankee and Sox fans don't wear mohawks...
    Man, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

You have been hanging around in Jersey too much
    Best posts ever:

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

You have been hanging around in Jersey too much
    I'm pretty sure that Tony Soprano would respect that thing about the horse's head. Either case, we Yankee fans have our secret "burial ground" where fans that bug us endlessly are sent. One-way ticket, of course!

Speaking of which, whatever happened to li'l Ken?

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by SDL View Post
    Sounds tempting for some of the Rays fans down here. At least Yankee and Sox fans don't wear mohawks...
    You must've missed the Mr T auditions. He pities the fools.

Now where do you put those pesky Beantowners, anyway? I hear there are places under the turnpike and the expressway that nobody's ever seen before, much less ever heard of.

Last edited by Mattingly; 10-26-2008 at 05:11 PM.

I'm pretty sure that Tony Soprano would respect that thing about the horse's head. Either case, we Yankee fans have our secret "burial ground" where fans that bug us endlessly are sent. One-way ticket, of course!
    I know..under one of the end zones at Giants Stadium....

Now where do you put those pesky Beantowners, anyway? I hear there are places under the turnpike and the expressway that nobody's ever seen before, much less ever heard of.
    I'm already in Hell...I'm the only one in my neighborhood who does not drive a pickup truck or even cares one iota about NASCAR (some think dale Sr. is going to rise from the dead)....anyplace you'd put me would be an improvement...

The East River, Hudson River, Passaic River, or the The Hackensack River?

Speaking of which, whatever happened to li'l Ken?
    He's brooding down in his basement over the loss...poor guy is heartbroken
    Best posts ever:

I know..under one of the end zones at Giants Stadium....
    Nah, it's under the goalposts at Red Bull Stadium
    Best posts ever:

The offseason has already started and now it's up to us. Which players are we all interested in having on our respective teams (NY or Boston)? We didn't need Holliday, but I know one team that missed on the chance. But don't worry - O'Dowd probably wanted Joba - who I think is untouchable.

Who's next on the fresh fish to catch in the angling tournament...err Hot Stove season?

Quote Originally Posted by Solair Wright View Post
    The offseason has already started and now it's up to us. Which players are we all interested in having on our respective teams (NY or Boston)? We didn't need Holliday, but I know one team that missed on the chance. But don't worry - O'Dowd probably wanted Joba - who I think is untouchable.

Who's next on the fresh fish to catch in the angling tournament...err Hot Stove season?
    We all know the #1 name....C.C.

I want the Sox to re-sign 'Tek and hopefully bring D-Lowe back to Fenway.

Cool Manny heading home . . . .

The off season has already started and now it's up to us. Which players are we all interested in having on our respective teams (NY or Boston)? We didn't need Holliday, but I know one team that missed on the chance. But don't worry - O'Dowd probably wanted Joba - who I think is untouchable.

Well for one thing, Manny ending up in the Bronx for the next 4-6 years @ ≥ $25M per year, I think, is sure-thing.
    Although the Yankees have a history of signing 'stars' past their prime, Manny clearly will be the exception to that rule . . .
    Ken Fougère

Eight Time
    World Series Champions

Quote Originally Posted by KenFougere View Post
    Well for one thing, Manny ending up in the Bronx for the next 4-6 years @ ≥ $25M per year, I think, is sure-thing.
    Although the Yankees have a history of signing 'stars' past their prime, Manny clearly will be the exception to that rule . . .
    I doubt Manny will sign. Joey Pitbull would make him cut off his dreads...
    Last edited by SDL; 11-11-2008 at 10:14 PM.

2008 Chammmmps

Just getting back from Broad and Shunk and the parade. No bleeping way the Yanks are trading Hank Stein--brenna's buttboy Job-Bah for anyone. Tek is a AAA playah now. Love the leadership but check out Ruiz comin' through for the Fightin' Phils. It's all about production !!
    Whitey Ashburn's free plug on radio when he was hungry...." Happy birthday to the Celebrese twins....Plain and Pepperoni. "

We all know the #1 name....C.C.

I want the Sox to re-sign 'Tek and hopefully bring D-Lowe back to Fenway.
    Character issues with Lowe that angered the owners will probably prevent him from coming back...
    Best posts ever:

While they watch their new stadium being constructed, the Yankee fans still hold on to their "guarantee" that they'll win the division next year. Confident now?

Now, to be serious, I'm not sure if Girardi was the right choice as manager. The main issues with him are that his experience as a manager, his volatile attitude with owners (which is why he was canned as Florida's manager), and his explosive reputation as manager. I'm not rileing anyone's feathers here, I'm just nervous he'll get canned because of it and then it's chaos in the Bronx.

Well, I understand Francona got fired in Philly, but you see, he dealt with a horrible team in Philly. You could've resurrected Connie Mack or John McGraw from the dead and it'd be the same result there.

Have a happy Red Sox Thanksgiving! And don't you spoil it from us, Yanks fans!

While they watch their new stadium being constructed, the Yankee fans still hold on to their "guarantee" that they'll win the division next year. Confident now?

Now, to be serious, I'm not sure if Girardi was the right choice as manager. The main issues with him are that his experience as a manager, his volatile attitude with owners (which is why he was canned as Florida's manager), and his explosive reputation as manager. I'm not rileing anyone's feathers here, I'm just nervous he'll get canned because of it and then it's chaos in the Bronx.

Well, I understand Francona got fired in Philly, but you see, he dealt with a horrible team in Philly. You could've resurrected Connie Mack or John McGraw from the dead and it'd be the same result there.

Have a happy Red Sox Thanksgiving! And don't you spoil it from us, Yanks fans!
    I was just waiting for Joey Pitbull to do another meltdown...question was...what Yankee player was he going to throw against a wall? Which Steinbrenner was he going to lip off to?

Page 370 of 419 FirstFirst ... 270320360368369370371372380 ... LastLast