Thread: Nationals acquire Wily Mo Pena

Nationals acquire Wily Mo Pena

They got Pena and cash for a PTBNL. Kind of had a feeling this was happening ever since he cleared waivers. Being a Red Sox fan also I can attest that he can potentially be a very good hitter, but he is a total nightmare in the field. I'm wondering where they plan on playing him in the OF though. Kearns has RF, though he hasn't been good at all this season, it would a terrible idea to play him in center, and Church has been having a solid year in left.
    "He gave the term 'complete' a new meaning. He made the word 'superstar' seem inadequate. He had about him the touch of royalty." - Baseball Commissioner Bowie Kuhn on Roberto Clemente

my blog

4-16-07 RIP Va. Tech 32

I've always wondered what Pena would do with a full-time job. Will I get to find out, or is he a 4th OF again?
    CLEVELAND INDIANS Central Division Champions

1920 1948 1954 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999 2001 2007

Really tough to get a regular job when strikeout a ton and can't field.
    Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

I was actually kind of critical of getting Pena because I thought it'd cost us a pitcher, heck, we got him for next to nothing!

Good move, just because we gave up thin air and some cash to get him.
    Cristobal

Quote Originally Posted by natsnsoxfan View Post
    They got Pena and cash for a PTBNL. Kind of had a feeling this was happening ever since he cleared waivers. Being a Red Sox fan also I can attest that he can potentially be a very good hitter, but he is a total nightmare in the field. I'm wondering where they plan on playing him in the OF though. Kearns has RF, though he hasn't been good at all this season, it would a terrible idea to play him in center, and Church has been having a solid year in left.
    I can imagine he'll get the call in LF, and Church will play his regular position in CF with an occasional move to RF (benching of Kearns) and a start by Nook in CF.
    Cristobal

Kearns won't get benched. Scouts and JimBo love him too much.
    The Q: Can the Cubs hold a 6-5 lead with 2 outs and nobody on in the 9th?

The A: No

***********My Rant on Bud Selig***********
    Selig is like a stray pigeon. Pigeons are too self-absorbed to care about anyone else. They poo on people they don't like; they poo on people they don't even know. The only real difference between Selig and a pigeon is that Selig intends to bury our heritage, our traditions, and our culture,

Quote Originally Posted by wilkerson_rulz-06 View Post
    I was actually kind of critical of getting Pena because I thought it'd cost us a pitcher, heck, we got him for next to nothing!
    Yup. And nothing's what he's been worth in Boston.
    "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

I hope the PTBNL isn't Colome. I guess Langerhans is out the door.

What a great move!

We got WMP for drastically nothing and he still has the potential to be a very good power-hitting outfielder.

2 steals in 2 years, Bowden's on a hot streak!

Quote Originally Posted by Peorgie T View Post
    I hope the PTBNL isn't Colome. I guess Langerhans is out the door.
    doubt that very much.

Bowden is supposed to give a list to Theo Epstein, and he chose which player he wants, that's the PTBNL, or, it's a player they talked about before, but wanted to deal later on.

Screw Langerhans, he's terrible!
    Cristobal

Quote Originally Posted by KingJ View Post
    Kearns won't get benched. Scouts and JimBo love him too much.
    Then I'm guessing Nook will.
    Cristobal

Blog Entries
    Wily Mo, Wily Mo, Wily Mo. So how are those Washington Reds looking?
    Unlike most other team sports, in which teams usually have an equivalent number of players on the field at any given time, in baseball the hitting team is at a numerical disadvantage, with a maximum of 5 players and 2 base coaches on the field at any time, compared to the fielding team's 9 players. For this reason, leaving the dugout to join a fight is generally considered acceptable in that it results in numerical equivalence on the field, and a fairer fight.

Good move, just because we gave up thin air and some cash to get him.
    You don't even know who the player is, how is that next to nothing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Domenic View Post
    The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

Quote Originally Posted by Westlake View Post
    You don't even know who the player is, how is that next to nothing?
    Because any PTBNL that Bowden gives likely won't be any better than Pena himself.

Come on...Ryan Langerhans? echhh.
    Cristobal

Granted, it's a small sample, but WMP's hitting .455 with two bombs and a double since joining the Nats. Maybe he just needed a change of scenery form Sox Nation.

Because any PTBNL that Bowden gives likely won't be any better than Pena himself.

Come on...Ryan Langerhans? echhh.
    Well the PTBNL in question, going to Arizona, (since it was a 3-team deal) is Emiliano Fruto. Doesn't seem like such a steal now...

Recap:

To ARI: P Emiliano Fruto (From WAS)
    To BOS: 1B Chris Carter (From ARI)
    To WAS: RF Wilfredo Modesto Pena (From BOS)
    Last edited by TheKingofKings; 08-21-2007 at 02:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Peorgie T View Post
    Granted, it's a small sample, but WMP's hitting .455 with two bombs and a double since joining the Nats. Maybe he just needed a change of scenery form Sox Nation.
    No Pressure + Everyday Playing Time = W.M. Pena at his best

Look at what he did in Cincinnati!

51 HR and 134 RBI in 830 AB.

1 HR every 16 AB, a.k.a. every 4 games...

Quote Originally Posted by TheKingofKings View Post
    Well the PTBNL in question, going to Arizona, (since it was a 3-team deal) is Emiliano Fruto. Doesn't seem like such a steal now...

Recap:

To ARI: P Emiliano Fruto (From WAS)
    To BOS: 1B Chris Carter (From ARI)
    To WAS: RF Wilfredo Modesto Pena (From BOS)
    So, in effect, we traded Vidro for WMP. Fruto right now is Nuke LaLoosh. He throws hard, but who knows where it's going to go? He might pan out, but the jury's still out. One way or another, Bowden was going to get Pena, so it could have been worse than giving up a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by KCGHOST View Post
    Really tough to get a regular job when strikeout a ton and can't field.

all he has needed was PLAYING TIME to get better... he's got TOO much talent to be in the minor leagues, so he's been stuck on the bench as the 4th of'er much of his young career..

if the Nats can give him playing time , i guarantee he hits around .280+ , 30+ hr's, 100+ rbi's next year... even last year when he played a lot more with Nixon and Crisp being hurt, he did very well and put up very nice numbers (.301, 11 hr's and 42 rbi's in just 276 ab's)...

i think and hope that he sees that next year could be his big shot at showing everyone what he's capable of... with that, i expect him to work as hard as he ever has the rest of this season and the upcoming off-season to make himself that much better defensively AND offensively.... watch out
    GO REDSOX AND BREWERS!!!
    I collect: Manny Ramirez (#1 priority), Wily Mo Pena, Prince Fielder & Ryan Braun!!
    Check my PROFILE for my Trade Site!!