Page 94 of 94 FirstFirst ... 4484929394
Results 2,326 to 2,336 of 2336

Thread: Dodger Stadium

  1. #2326
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Westville, NJ
    Posts
    1,570
    Phillies did the same thing. When they jumped stadiums; the organist was platooned to the concourse.

    Yes, the concourse.

    Then he retired and sadly passed away a year later.

    Once a staple of Phillies games, Richardson's organ music was heard much less frequently from the mid-1990s on, as pre-recorded ("canned") music became more prevalent. When the team moved into Citizens Bank Park in 2004, Richardson was not given a booth, and was seen only before games on the Ashburn Alley outfield concourse. A recording of his version of Take Me Out to the Ballgame was used for the seventh-inning stretch. This diminished role combined with health problems and no longer having a place where he could see the game were factors in Richardson announcing his retirement prior to the 2006 season.

    On October 2, 2006, Richardson died after a long battle with prostate cancer [1]. The Phillies paid tribute to him prior to their 2007 home opener and also during the seventh-inning stretch of that game.

  2. #2327
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, CA
    Posts
    7,361
    Blog Entries
    1

  3. #2328
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, CA
    Posts
    7,361
    Blog Entries
    1
    In twenty-sixteen, how important is organ music at a ballpark?

  4. #2329
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Dreamer View Post
    In twenty-sixteen, how important is organ music at a ballpark?
    You bring up a good question. But as I've said in other posts, it's about the game day experience. If I wanted to hear loud music between innings, I would buy tickets to a rock concert...which I have..AC/DC at Dodger Stadium...which was AWESOME but different post for a different topic. Maybe I'm more of a purest despite being semi young/old. Depends which side of the scale you look at. I'm 36 and I have grown up with organ music at Dodger Stadium and Anaheim Stadium before the Big A switched over to canned organ music (charge...that's it) and today's Hip Hop Hits. It's a different feeling to hear that music. It's inviting and calming compared to Welcome to the Jungle or some rap song you can't understand the lyrics to. Even though the game is slow to evolve compared to other sports, this is one thing that I wish wouldn't evolve. It's pretty much a 75 year tradition that I think should stay to keep the game of baseball unique when it comes to the fan experience.

  5. #2330
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Westville, NJ
    Posts
    1,570
    I don't go to many games anymore - so I don't care if it's an organ or on an 80's old school boombox.

    I think organs and sporting venues offered a unique setting. Where else would you listen to a live organ? Super short clips of music we hear everywhere daily is forgettable.

  6. #2331
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, CA
    Posts
    7,361
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt The Hammer View Post
    I don't go to many games anymore - so I don't care if it's an organ or on an 80's old school boombox.

    I think organs and sporting venues offered a unique setting. Where else would you listen to a live organ? Super short clips of music we hear everywhere daily is forgettable.
    Maybe church, but nobody attends church anymore and municipalities are struggling to find tax revenue.

  7. #2332
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Northfield Center, Ohio
    Posts
    1,129
    I go to church, so don't say nobody.

  8. #2333
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Westville, NJ
    Posts
    1,570
    My church has an organ. Nobody uses it though.

    And since my kids play ice hockey, my Sunday mornings are spent at the church of Saint Hockey.

  9. #2334
    The big problem with Dodger Stadium is the traffic getting to and from the games. If you have to work there in some capacity and thus must be there for every pitch of every home game, then it basically takes up an extra 2 to 3 hours of your night. I take the road downhill to Sunset from behind home plate to turn right on Sunset to head toward Santa Monica, and because night games start at a few minutes past 7, and when working, I have to be there at 5:30, from SM it can take an hour to get there even going against the flow of the heavy traffic.

    It is better after night games, because I don't get out of there until 11-11:30 when I work a game there. Still, the traffic on Sunset is not great, and it is a little seedy if you know what I mean.

  10. #2335
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Northfield Center, Ohio
    Posts
    1,129
    wes_kahn,

    What do you do at ballpark?

    I was an usher for the Indians and Browns.

  11. #2336
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    241
    Quote Originally Posted by wes_kahn View Post
    The big problem with Dodger Stadium is the traffic getting to and from the games. If you have to work there in some capacity and thus must be there for every pitch of every home game, then it basically takes up an extra 2 to 3 hours of your night. I take the road downhill to Sunset from behind home plate to turn right on Sunset to head toward Santa Monica, and because night games start at a few minutes past 7, and when working, I have to be there at 5:30, from SM it can take an hour to get there even going against the flow of the heavy traffic.

    It is better after night games, because I don't get out of there until 11-11:30 when I work a game there. Still, the traffic on Sunset is not great, and it is a little seedy if you know what I mean.
    Yeah especially when it is sold out 50,000 (opening day & Playoffs), It is no fun after losing a close playoff game to sit in your car for 2 hours before even getting on the freeway
    It's Time For Dodger's Baseball

Page 94 of 94 FirstFirst ... 4484929394

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •