• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Elvis
    Team Veteran
    • Jul 2004

Originally posted by PeteU View Post
    On a somewhat related note, I've heard Dodger Stadium is pretty strict on not letting you "cheat," i.e. sneak down to closer seats after buying the cheap seats. (Not that I would ever dream of doing such a thing, of course. )

Is that still the case?
    The reason you can't cheat (well there are ways but that's a guarded secret), is because the way the stadium was designed--built into a hill--meant you pretty much had to have the entrance gates built at the particular level they belonged to. So you take the escalator, stairs or "ramps" (which are the driveways) up to the loge, upper deck or top deck terraces and enter the ballpark there, you see. The "ramps" and escalators are outside the ballpark, so how would you go outside to walk down to a lower level, and then re-enter the ballpark to "cheat"?
    Last edited by Elvis; 08-20-2007, 11:14 AM.

Comment

• Lafferty Daniel
      Goodbye Teflon Sky
      • May 2007

On a somewhat related note, I've heard Dodger Stadium is pretty strict on not letting you "cheat," i.e. sneak down to closer seats after buying the cheap seats. (Not that I would ever dream of doing such a thing, of course. )

Is that still the case?

My girlfriend and I "move up" once in awhile. We start at the Top deck, and work our way down to the lower level seats right behind homeplate. We'll usually go around the 5th innning, walk up to one of the people guarding the stairs to the lower level, and she will tell them that we're meeting her sister or something. There's this one employee who doesn't care as long as we show him a ticket since there are cameras watching. Then there is a nice old man working the stairs in the reserved level that likes my girlfriend so we don't have a problem getting past him either.

It's just our way of making up for all the $8 beers that we've bought at the park

Comment

• nymTom
        • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Elvis View Post
        The interior pics you posted look nice and the upper deck view looks alot closer to the field then the pic i posted. and that Aerial view was sick. I would say the exterior could use a bit of a facelift but again just my opinion . Calling me clueless when i havent been to the park may be true but id love to see it in person, but thats why i started this thread to get peoples points of view , not throw insults!!!

Comment

• Lafferty Daniel
          Goodbye Teflon Sky
          • May 2007

I'll post some personal pics when I have time to scale them down to size.

Comment

• PeteU
            Birds and Fish
            • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Lafferty Daniel View Post
            My girlfriend and I "move up" once in awhile. We start at the Top deck, and work our way down to the lower level seats right behind homeplate. We'll usually go around the 5th innning, walk up to one of the people guarding the stairs to the lower level, and she will tell them that we're meeting her sister or something. There's this one employee who doesn't care as long as we show him a ticket since there are cameras watching. Then there is a nice old man working the stairs in the reserved level that likes my girlfriend so we don't have a problem getting past him either.

It's just our way of making up for all the $8 beers that we've bought at the park
            I too always wait until the 5th Inning--that way I can maintain the moral high ground by saying I saw most of the game in my assigned section. I won't sneak up to the field box or anything, but I will move up to lower reserved or something along those lines. Of course, at Dolphins Stadium usually the ushers don't make that big of a deal--I think they are just glad you are one of the 15,000 people there, so it isn't that hard to move up from the cheap seats.

Comment

• Elvis
              Team Veteran
              • Jul 2004

“When the sun sets at Dodger Stadium, I am impressed first of all with the mountains because, at this time of year, they are fully defined. It makes me think of some of the great artists who did Western paintings — Frederic Remington, Charles Russell, Frank McCarthy, to name a few — because they must have been inspired by that.

And then the cloud formations. At sunset, they turn pink. And as it continues, the closer you are to sunset, the clouds are still kind of gold. Farther away in center field and right field, you’re away from the sunset and the clouds are turning purple. So you think of an artist’s palette with various colors, and it just takes your breath away.

Down on the field, a ballgame is just beginning. But the sunset becomes a major distraction because it’s so overwhelming it’s hard to take your eyes off it. And then the palm trees — there’s a group of palm trees on the hill behind left field — they are defined against the sky, and they are turning colors with the sunset. You can’t see that anywhere else in a ballpark.”

Vin Scully
              Los Angeles Times, August 21, 2003

Comment

• Elvis
                Team Veteran
                • Jul 2004

--------------------------------

Comment

• Elvis
                  Team Veteran
                  • Jul 2004

Comment

• Lafferty Daniel
                    Goodbye Teflon Sky
                    • May 2007

Originally posted by Elvis View Post
                    “When the sun sets at Dodger Stadium, I am impressed first of all with the mountains because, at this time of year, they are fully defined. It makes me think of some of the great artists who did Western paintings — Frederic Remington, Charles Russell, Frank McCarthy, to name a few — because they must have been inspired by that.

And then the cloud formations. At sunset, they turn pink. And as it continues, the closer you are to sunset, the clouds are still kind of gold. Farther away in center field and right field, you’re away from the sunset and the clouds are turning purple. So you think of an artist’s palette with various colors, and it just takes your breath away.

Down on the field, a ballgame is just beginning. But the sunset becomes a major distraction because it’s so overwhelming it’s hard to take your eyes off it. And then the palm trees — there’s a group of palm trees on the hill behind left field — they are defined against the sky, and they are turning colors with the sunset. You can’t see that anywhere else in a ballpark.”

Vin Scully
                    Los Angeles Times, August 21, 2003

I love the Southern California sunsets. It's true, the clouds over Dodger Stadium become pink, with the San Gabriel mountains turning purple. And even in the heart of the summer you can feel the cool ocean breeze as soon as the sun goes down.

Comment

• Doug Miller
                      Fly away!
                      • Jan 2007

Is that still the case?
                      The problem is the definition between the upper deck and lower field seats. If you have field seating, they don't care where you sit. If you have upper deck seats, you're pretty much upper deck seats. That's the limitation of a park like Dodger Stadium's age, vs. the new parks. (Like Coors Field, where I can buy a $5 Rockpile ticket and sit 10 rows up from 1st base.)

Doug

Comment

• Elvis
                        Team Veteran
                        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Doug Miller View Post
                        That's the limitation of a park like Dodger Stadium's age, vs. the new parks. (Like Coors Field, where I can buy a $5 Rockpile ticket and sit 10 rows up from 1st base.)

Doug
                        Just for the record, this "problem" with Dodger Stadium is not unsolvable. In fact, the McCourts plan, within the next few years, to build a main entrance/plaza beyond the CF batters-eye, connect the pavilions to the grandstand and make all sections of the park accessible to all ticket holders.

Comment

• Lafferty Daniel
                          Goodbye Teflon Sky
                          • May 2007

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X