Page 14 of 92 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast

Thread: Dodger Stadium

Quote Originally Posted by mrakbaseball View Post
    No hockey will be played at Dodger Stadium..
    Never say never
    "Obviously, no one wants to fail. But who's to say that failure's not a good thing masked in the wisdom that you can't see at that point? I just try to look at the positive." - Khalil Greene

These winter classics should be reserved for the North, I cant picture it being in a sunbelt stadium

Quote Originally Posted by NJTankMets View Post
    These winter classics should be reserved for the North, I cant picture it being in a sunbelt stadium
    Hockey in the South is weird, pretty much, even South Florida has an NHL Team (Panthers.).

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees2k6 View Post
    Hockey in the South is weird, pretty much, even South Florida has an NHL Team (Panthers.).
    The Zamboni was invented in Los Angeles, and every Zamboni you see anywhere in the world is built in L.A..
    Last edited by qbannik; 02-21-2009 at 02:50 PM.

Dodger Stadium is a suburban style ballpark

Dodger Stadium is definitely a suburban style ballpark. Does anyone disagree with that? I'm certainly not the only one acknowledges that fact. The Dodgers themselves acknowledge that. I'm not saying that it's a bad thing, but to not acknowledge the fact that Dodger Stadium is perhaps the definition of a suburban style ballpark is ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by pudgie_child View Post
    A stadium being situated on a contrived street grid does not automatically make it better than a stadium in a parking lot. The natural beauty of Dodger Stadium's surroundings surpasses the best elements of Safeco Field.

Ridiculous. Dodger Stadium is surrounded by asphalt, 16,000 parking spaces worth.

Ridiculous. Dodger Stadium is surrounded by asphalt, 16,000 parking spaces worth.
    So now you're taking comments from other threads and transplanting them here for your benefit of a point?

The point is.. Here we go. Dodger Stadium is built into a valley and surrounding portions of a hill. This hill was appropriately considered a portion of Los Angeles Proper. The surrounding area for this hill was not designated for zoning in any form until the interest of Sir Walter came about. The location of the mountain never changed and neither has the vincinity. It is as much in a suburban setting as Safeco Field..

How do we come to this conclusion for Safeco Field..? Safeco Field is in the Industrial District of which was absorbed by something called SODO. Now, this SODO doesn't necessarily have any major populous of its own, only consisiting of 2600 citizens. If these stated citizens wanted to travel to the urban area, they would need to utilize private or mass transit; similar to the likes of those living near Dodger Stadium.

It is in this interest that Safeco is not DODO, but rather SODO.. In smaller terms, it takes a commute to get to the DODO from SODO. It also takes a commute from Dodger Stadium to the center of Los Angeles.

They're the same.

"...So the winning run is on second base, with two outs, three and two to Mookie Wilson.

Little roller up along first; BEHIND THE BAG! It gets through Buckner!

Here comes Knight and the Mets win it!"

- Vin Scully, Announcer

What the heck, dude? How am I supposed to know you responded to my post if you moved it into another forum? Not cool . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by RoastedPeanut View Post
    So now you're taking comments from other threads and transplanting them here for your benefit of a point?
    Dodger Stadium discussion belongs in a Dodger Stadium thread. It's called courtesy.

The point is.. Here we go. Dodger Stadium is built into a valley and surrounding portions of a hill. This hill was appropriately considered a portion of Los Angeles Proper. The surrounding area for this hill was not designated for zoning in any form until the interest of Sir Walter came about. The location of the mountain never changed and neither has the vincinity. It is as much in a suburban setting as Safeco Field..
    I've never disputed Dodger Stadium's location. I've stated that it's a suburban style park. That's not an opinion, that's a fact. This isn't some bizarro world. Facts aren't debatable. Safeco isn't in a suburban setting.

They're the same.
    No they're not.

What the heck, dude? How am I supposed to know you responded to my post if you moved it into another forum? Not cool . . . .
    Like I said previously, Dodger Stadium discussion belongs in a Dodger Stadium thread. Be respectful of thread topics and post accordingly.

the natural beauty of Dodger Stadium's surroundings surpasses the best elements of Safeco Field
    Oh really? Check out this natural "beauty"

Which direction are the San Gabriels again?
    Last edited by mrakbaseball; 02-22-2009 at 12:47 AM.

Like I said previously, Dodger Stadium discussion belongs in a Dodger Stadium thread. Be respectful of thread topics and post accordingly.
    Like was also brought up previously, you were the first one to rank Safeco Field against other ballparks. If you are willing to compare Safeco Field to other ballparks, you have to let others do the same. Please don't be a hypocrite.

And, no, it still isn't cool to move people's posts to other threads.

Could happen, now that they have developed SYNTHETIC ICE!

http://www.superglideskating.com/

I've never disputed Dodger Stadium's location. I've stated that it's a suburban style park. That's not an opinion, that's a fact. This isn't some bizarro world. Facts aren't debatable. Safeco isn't in a suburban setting.
    You sound a bit delusional. You keep repeating "suburban style ballpark" and claiming that your subjective opinions are facts. There is no "FACT" that Dodger Stadium is a "suburban style ballpark" because you made up the term yourself.

You want a "fact?" Your precious Safeco is a retro-clone dome in an industrial setting, that you are trying to laughingly pass off as "urban", as it that makes having a dome surrounded by warehouses and train yards somehow superior to Dodger Stadium, which is surrounded by parks, neighborhoods and hills.

Safeco is a "Clone-Dome-Industrial Park-style ballpark." That's a fact. You can't dispute facts.

Quote Originally Posted by qbannik View Post
    You sound a bit delusional. You keep repeating "suburban style ballpark" and claiming that your subjective opinions are facts. There is no "FACT" that Dodger Stadium is a "suburban style ballpark" because you made up the term yourself.

You want a "fact?" Your precious Safeco is a retro-clone dome in an industrial setting, that you are trying to laughingly pass off as "urban", as it that makes having a dome surrounded by warehouses and train yards somehow superior to Dodger Stadium, which is surrounded by parks, neighborhoods and hills.

Safeco is a "Clone-Dome-Industrial Park-style ballpark." That's a fact. You can't dispute facts.
    I didn't make up the term "suburban style ballpark". Read a book. Gershman, Lowry, Ritter, Curt Smith, Pastier, just to name a few offer ballpark literature to the uneducated, ignorant masses. "Dodger Stadium" and "suburban" have been used together for 47 years. Get educated on topics you discuss. Safeco is urban. Dodger Stadium is surrounded by acres upon acres of asphalt .
    Last edited by mrakbaseball; 02-22-2009 at 07:03 AM.

I plan on taking a Stadium tour, hopefully before the season begins. Been swamped with so much work.

I'll be sure to post some pictures. Gary set the bar pretty high.

Flip Side of the Coin

Quote Originally Posted by John Pastier View Post
    Dodger Stadium received a huge public subsidy in the form of a 300-acre land donation and extensive infrastructure improvements. Its concrete structure eliminates seating-zone columns, but lacks intimacy since its various upper decks are unusually distant from the game action. The stadium is divorced from any neighborhood and inaccessible to pedestrians, has almost no exterior architecture (it's embedded into the sloping ground), is bland and produces low-scoring games. Even though it's only 1.3 miles from City Hall, it's the ultimate suburban environment, taking up half a square mile; lacking quirkiness, human scale and a connection to its city; and trapped amid 16,000 parking spaces. Leaving after a game is a stressful experience, as people dodge fast-moving cars on their way to their own vehicles, and then navigate complex internal traffic patterns to find their particular freeway. There have many worse ballparks in history, but also many better ones.
    John Pastier
    John Pastier is an architecturally trained ballpark consultant who has won awards as a design writer and as a baseball researcher. He was the founding architecture critic for the Los Angeles Times, and has written about ballparks and other stadiums for major publications since 1973.
    He has been a consultant on Oriole Park at Camden Yards, Safeco Field, Petco Park and 2 minor league parks in New Jersey, working for teams, architects and public stadium authorities, and has also done pro-bono work in the field. He has lectured widely on the subject to general audiences, baseball societies, and college audiences, and has taught a baseball stadium design course at the University of Washington. He has visited over 400 ballparks and ballpark sites in 48 states, 6 Canadian provinces, Japan and Taiwan.
    He has been an active member of SABR for over 20 years, is a past officer of its Los Angeles chapter, and a past president of its Northwest chapter. He was an expert witness for Chicago in the legal proceedings concerning the historic landmark designation of Wrigley Field.

Quote Originally Posted by ChineseDemocracy View Post
    I plan on taking a Stadium tour, hopefully before the season begins. Been swamped with so much work.

I'll be sure to post some pictures. Gary set the bar pretty high.
    We have faith in you.. If possible, can I make an odd request for a series of pictures that could be stitched..? The snap shot pictures in this thread do not serve Dodger Stadium the justice of seeing it from the human perspective.. The closest thing that is available is the panoramic..

"...So the winning run is on second base, with two outs, three and two to Mookie Wilson.

- Vin Scully, Announcer

John Pastier
    John Pastier is an architecturally trained ballpark consultant who has won awards as a design writer and as a baseball researcher. He was the founding architecture critic for the Los Angeles Times, and has written about ballparks and other stadiums for major publications since 1973.
    He has been a consultant on Oriole Park at Camden Yards, Safeco Field, Petco Park and 2 minor league parks in New Jersey, working for teams, architects and public stadium authorities, and has also done pro-bono work in the field. He has lectured widely on the subject to general audiences, baseball societies, and college audiences, and has taught a baseball stadium design course at the University of Washington. He has visited over 400 ballparks and ballpark sites in 48 states, 6 Canadian provinces, Japan and Taiwan.
    He has been an active member of SABR for over 20 years, is a past officer of its Los Angeles chapter, and a past president of its Northwest chapter. He was an expert witness for Chicago in the legal proceedings concerning the historic landmark designation of Wrigley Field.
    What does this expert witness testify about Safeco Field..?

- Vin Scully, Announcer

Why do you care? What makes you tick? What motivates you to visit this site?

Why do you care? What makes you tick? What motivates you to visit this site?
    1.) Curiosity

2.) I prefer phospholipids, glucose, several minerals.. I'm sure that, to help you tick, you'd be interested in a parenteral diet enriched with potassium to make the body strong.

3.) Until recently, knowledge.. As of recently, every side to an opinion deserves to tell its own story..

- Vin Scully, Announcer

Quote Originally Posted by John Pastier View Post
    Because the area receives little rainfall during the baseball season, this roof was an unnecessary owners' indulgence. However, fans have given the new ballpark high marks for its quality game-watching experience, stunning views and overall entertainment package
    from Historic Ballparks: A Panoramic Vision

Actually, hockey was played in Las Vegas in 1991 for an Exhibition game between the New York Rangers and the LA Kings, so it can happen.
    Also, you're not a moderator, so leave all of the thread moving to someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by mets16 View Post
    .Also, you're not a moderator, so leave all of the thread moving to someone else.
    Nobody moved a thread, thought about moving a thread, wrote/ talked about moving a thread.

We have faith in you.. If possible, can I make an odd request for a series of pictures that could be stitched..? The snap shot pictures in this thread do not serve Dodger Stadium the justice of seeing it from the human perspective.. The closest thing that is available is the panoramic..
    I have some pictures from some games I have gone to. I don't usually take a camera with me as I am there to enjoy 9 innings of Dodger baseball. Yes I am there on time and I stay until the final pitch. And I never have any problems with traffic after the game.

Until I take that tour, I can try and accommodate any requests you may have.

John Pastier is one of those reviewers that likes to write up a bad review just to generate some buzz for his sub-par work.

Was that Las Vegas game outdoors? The Kings usually play a few exhibition games at the MGM Grand Garden Arena.

Quote Originally Posted by ChineseDemocracy View Post
    John Pastier is one of those reviewers that likes to write up a bad review just to generate some buzz for his sub-par work.
    Care to elaborate and provide examples of a specific review that was written to generate buzz on sub-par work?

Nope. You did my work for me, partner.

Page 14 of 92 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast