Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 3D Model of Yankee Stadium (Late 1960's)

3D Model of Yankee Stadium (Late 1960's)

I’m in the process of building a 3D model of the old Yankee Stadium (late 1960’s early 1970’s). The model is being built in AutoCAD and will be finished in 3D Studio Max (a related 3D rendering and animation package).

The idea is to have an interactive 3D model where people can visit and walk through and experience a little bit what it felt like to be in that great stadium.

I’ve posted some images of the model progress on the “Yankee Stadium Pictorial History” thread (thanks for all of the comments and advice) and here’s a link to my site where you can check on the progress:http://www.digitalcentrality.com/Yankee_Stadium/

The model is based on plans from the 1973-76 renovation that do show stand structure elevations of the old stadium, but the plan views are of the post 1976 renovation. While the column locations should be the same (with the exception of the ones that were removed in the renovation) there does seem to be discrepancies with the curvature of the stands as they transition to the bull pens.

The only real, pre renovation, plan I have is a site plan used to show the location of chain-link fence used during the renovation. When I overlay the finish removal plan with this plan (both scaled the same), things don’t line up too well particularly at the locations mentioned above.

If anybody has any insight into what changed in this area, or better still, have construction documents or as-built drawings of the original stadium, please let me know.

If anybody has a seating plan for the old stadium I could get a copy of, that would really help me in linking the seating sections to column grid lines on the drawing.

This forum has already been an invaluable resource for me in this project and I want to thank those who have helped me so far.

Rick
    Attached Images Attached Images

Since this is in AutoCad pictures should be of help right? You should be able to rotate the model and then make it fit the picture you are trying to match.

If this is the case send me a PM with your email address and I will see what I can do to help you out.

Richard

Yankee Staduim 3D model

Richard:

That’s an excellent idea!

That might be a good way to locate the seats and isles relative to the columns and the tunnels on the main level. I’ll give it a try.

Have you got any internal shots of the ramps leading from the various entry portals to the different levels, or of the entries into the bleachers?

Thanks

Rick

Hey Rich. The curvature of the stands near the bullpens would have changed due to the changed field dimensions. In 1973 the foul poles were 296' in RF and 301' in LF. The wall in RF about 2/3 of the way between the foul pole and the bullpen was 344'. And the end of the LF stands next to the bullpen was 402'. These dimensions changed to 310' RF pole, 353' RF wall, 314' LF pole, and 387' LF wall. That should account for the change in the shape of the stands.

Yankee stadium plans - 3D Model

Thanks for the info on the wall changes. Now that I know that those curved parts did change, I can use the site drawing as guide for that.

Rick

Here is an overview of the old seating configuration ca. 1960

And here is a retouched version of Kaplanski's renovation configuration
    (NOTE: the bleachers do not show the removal of the first 2 portals on the left side which make up the loading dock nor do they show the bullpen cut out in the crescent portion of the bullpen. In sum, the final renovation bleacher configuration should just encompass the bleachers from the back wall to the cross aisles that connect the portals).:

And here are the two images overlayed. Note the tighter curve around the foul area behind the plate and the extended front row representing the lowering of the the field by 6 feet.

Hope this helps!

Dennis
    BrooklynDodger14

Yankee stadium plans - 3D Model

Dennis:

That's exactly what I needed!

This clears up allot of my confusion. It also gives me what I need in terms of the seating rows to column line relationship as well as portal locations!

Thanks!

P.S. Got any other drawings, like plans showing ramp locations or sections

Rick, I'm about to email you some pics right now.

Richard

Yankee Staduim 3D model

Here's some renderings of the latest model...

This is pretty cool, I wish I knew how to do something like that this. I can't wait to see the finished product.
    The 27 Time World Series Champions New York Yankees!

wow that looks really nice. I can't believe how close to the field the seats were back then. And I wonder why everyone's complaining that the seats in the new stadium are gonna be so close to the field. I can't wait to see the finished product either. How long do you think it's gonna take to get the whole thing done? How exactly are you gonna do it? Are you gonna do the whole stadium? or just the outfield? or what?

Yankee Staduim 3D model

Thanks for the comments!

The plan is to do the whole stadium as it was in the late 1960's, early 70's. I’d like to get it to a level of detail where you could walk through from any ticket window to any seat in the stadium.

How detailed the model will be depends on getting reference materials like architectural drawings and photos of sufficient detail. I’ve been getting a lot of help from people on this site, so I’m encouraged to think it can be done.

I’m not setting any kind of hard deadline on the project, but I figure it should look complete (from a distance anyway) by Christmas.

I’m hoping that as the model becomes more complete, I’ll get feedback from those folks with the knowledge of the details.

To see more on the model’s progress go to:
    http://www.digitalcentrality.com/Yankee_Stadium/

Rick

Interior Pics Of Old Yankee Stadium

Does Anyone In These Forums Happen To Have Any Pics Of The Interior Of Yankee Stadium Prior To The Renovation? I'm Very Curious To See What The Inside Looked Like. Also, Does Anyone Know Where I Could Obtain A Color Video Of A Yankee Home Filmed In The Early 70's So I Could See The Old Park In Action? Thanks.

I was just wondering when the next update would come...I've been waiting almost 2 months for the newest images of the 3D stadium checking in on the website, hoping that it wouldn't still say 9-8-07 as the last update...Are the unions on strike or something? PLEASE CONTINUE building, I Miss it....
    Thanks

Latest progress on the model

Back on track again after a very busy late summer and early fall.

Here's a typical portal (gate 2/6). Gate 4 seems to have different glass. I'll need to do a little more research on that. I'll add the gate numbering when I integrate the portals into the main model. The plan is to complete the bullpen areas and integrate them into the building skin from gate 2 back around the bleachers and over to gate 6.

I'm very much in need of direction on the bullpen areas. I've got several good images of the bullpens but nothing that shows the level of detail I'd like to have. If anybody has anything like a section through the bullpen the long way, showing where the ramp starts and ends, that would help.

To check on the progress of the model, go to: http://www.digitalcentrality.com/Yankee_Stadium/

Rick

Yankee Staduim 3D model

Here are some renderings of the model with the latest updates. I'm working on the bullpens and bleacher sections.

Check out the model at: http://www.digitalcentrality.com/Yankee_Stadium/

Yankee Staduim 3D model

I'm just getting back on track after the holidays.

I'm still working on the bleachers and bullpen areas. I've added the utility entry ways along the bleacher side of the bullpens. I've started laying out the columns for the bleacher external wall.

Next, I'll finish the bleacher outer wall and begin inserting the bleacher/bullpen fence railings and gates.

If anybody remembers how the bleacher ramps integrated with the bleacher gates, let me know. Pictures would help.

Thanks

Rick

http://www.digitalcentrality.com/Yankee_Stadium/

I have to say this is just awesome. I love seeing updates, and cannot wait until it's done; but seeing it being built is just as exciting. Coming from someone who never got to experience the original stadium in all its beauty, this is about the next best thing! Thanks again, and keep up the great work!!

Yankee Staduim 3D model

Thanks for the comments.

It was an incredible place (and still is a great stadium).

Folks like you have been the greatest source of information and encouragement for me on this project.

Thanks again.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by locke40 View Post
    I have to say this is just awesome. I love seeing updates, and cannot wait until it's done; but seeing it being built is just as exciting. Coming from someone who never got to experience the original stadium in all its beauty, this is about the next best thing! Thanks again, and keep up the great work!!

After seeing recent pictures of the new yankee stadium's construction, I have to say that I am more excited to see the completion of your 3D model of the grand old place. I only wish you were one of the design engineers for the new ball park, that way more elements of the old stadium would exist in the new one. Can't wait to see the facade go up in your model...doing a great job man!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mattingly85MVP View Post
    After seeing recent pictures of the new yankee stadium's construction, I have to say that I am more excited to see the completion of your 3D model of the grand old place. I only wish you were one of the design engineers for the new ball park, that way more elements of the old stadium would exist in the new one. Can't wait to see the facade go up in your model...doing a great job man!!
    We have two new stadiums going up at the same time!!

Hey Kaplanski, can we get an update? Thanks... can't wait to see the latest
    Last edited by Mattingly85MVP; 01-17-2008 at 09:40 AM.

I agree I wish there was more elements of the old stadium in the new, There is ways to design the park so there is more of the old elements and not have obstructive views and other modern improvements.
    39 AL Pennants • 26 World Series titles
    2003 • 2001 • 2000 • 1999•1998 • 1996 •1981 • 1978 •1977 • 1976 • 1964 • 1963 •1962 • 1961 • 1960 •1958•1957 • 1956 • 1955 • 1953 • 1952 • 1951 • 1950 • 1949•1947 • 1943 • 1942 • 1941•1939 • 1938 • 1937 • 1936•1932 • 1928 • 1927 • 1926 •1923 • 1922 • 1921

1•3•4•5•7•8•8•9•10•15•16•23•32•37•42•44•49 & soon 2•6•20•21•51•42

Yankee Staduim 3D model

I should have another update around Monday. I've started putting in the bleacher outer walls (which change allot from the 50's to the 60's and 70's). I don't know why, but windows moved around for some reason.

Hey Kaplanski, can we get an update? Thanks... can't wait to see the latest

Just a question are you doing old Yankee Stadium from 1936-circa1966? Or From 1966-1973? Because with the way it's bleach white I'm guessing the Yankee Stadium from '66-'73.
    The 27 Time World Series Champions New York Yankees!

Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast