Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: New Current Player League Draft

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Bedard View Post
    Can I change my pick if nobody picks before I change it? Also, will there be a lightning round at any time?
    No one will really know if you do. I wouldn't really care.

Well, anyone who saw his pick would know - and since Jordan responded, he obviously saw it. But it's not a big deal, IMO.

A lightning round sounds great (although I'm covering for DMF because he's gone until Wednesday. We'll be in contact, but it's limited, so he'd probably prefer it if we waited until he was back). We were going quite quickly at first, but it's slowed down since then.
    The Dark Knight is the best movie I've ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDxgNjMTPIs

Quote Originally Posted by -Kyle- View Post
    So does Upton play CF? That's where he played majority of the season. His career has been mostly 3b, and he has played a large amout at 2b this year, where I would prefer to have him.
    Can I change my pick if nobody picks before I change it? Also, will there be a lightning round at any time?
    You can have Upton at 2nd base.

You can change it. Maybe we can do a lightning round soon. We'll wait for DMF and Ronnie (who is still waiting for regular internet acess).
    Quote Originally Posted by Domenic View Post
    The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

Blog Entries
    I'm assuming Papelbon was your guy regardless of who I took, and I changed it to Pedroia.

BTW, my team salary is 11.4M... and Santana makes 10M of that.

I'm still frustrated that Braun wasn't on MLB.com until after you picked him. When you picked him, I didn't know who he was, and typed him in, and the pitcher showed up, and not the one that actually matters...

Blog Entries
    I'm assuming Papelbon was your guy regardless of who I took, and I changed it to Pedroia.

dang... I wanted Pedroia
    LETS GO YANKEES!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade8813 View Post
    I'm still frustrated that Braun wasn't on MLB.com until after you picked him. When you picked him, I didn't know who he was, and typed him in, and the pitcher showed up, and not the one that actually matters...
    Last year I had to use MLB.com as well, but this year BR started updating in-season. Sean Forman is a god.

I looked at baseball-reference (I assume that's what you mean by BR), but I wasn't able to find any leaderboards for this year, or sortable lists of players on each team. What did you do?

It was actually between Papelbon and Pedroia for me, but I was fine with either one.
    The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

Blog Entries
    I looked at baseball-reference (I assume that's what you mean by BR), but I wasn't able to find any leaderboards for this year, or sortable lists of players on each team. What did you do?
    When searching for a player, just click on the "AL" or "NL" next to his team name, and it should take you to the league index, Then use the Expanded Leaderboards link to take you to the leaderboards (or just scroll down for quick use).

MLB.com is more in-depth, though.

I still see 6 players or so who I'd really want for the next round.

Kyle, Jake Peavy's salary is 3.625 Million.

Gotcha, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Westlake View Post
    No one answered my question. Im going to make a decision, but id rather have some feedback from you all on it first.
    Ehhh, I'm fine with both. Although, I would have made different picks knowing otherwise...maybe a compromise we can schedule a lightning round for four rounds (and re do the picks) and make the cap higher.
    "he probably used some performance enhancing drugs so he could do a better job on his report...i hear they make you gain weight" - Dr. Zizmor

"I thought it was interesting and yes a conversation piece. Next time I post a similar story I will close with the question "So, do you think either of them have used steroids?" so that I can make the topic truly relevant to discussions about today's game." - Eric Davis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqul1GyK7-g

HECK NO! I don't want to start all over again in this draft.
    Last edited by Wade8813; 09-03-2007 at 05:51 PM.

is this gonna be 22 rounds or 25 or 22 players and 3 prospects?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisLDuncan View Post
    maybe a compromise we can schedule a lightning round for four rounds (and re do the picks) and make the cap higher.
    Are You kidding???!!!! I for one am not OK with that Idea. Infact I go so far to say that I would rather quit the draft altogether than go along with what would essentially restart the draft.
    Just my two cents on the issue.
    Last edited by Disgruntaledmarinerfan; 09-03-2007 at 08:16 PM.
    Here's to baseball... The best sport made.

"There are two theories on hitting a knuckleball. Unfortunately, neither of them works." ― Charlie Lau

Quote Originally Posted by Westlake View Post
    The draft will include CURRENT players, and a season will be simmed after the draft is completed and a week has gone by for trades and such. After that season has gone by, I can post the results and stats, then everyone can trade or add/drop players if they wish, then we can run another season. I figure we can do this for 3 seasons. We can also have a vote on who has the best team before we run the first sim.
    I just thought of something rather important - will the 2nd and 3rd seasons have the players be the same? Or will they age?

I just thought of something rather important - will the 2nd and 3rd seasons have the players be the same? Or will they age?
    well i hope they age... makes it more realistic and probably the stats would change more than if they stayed the same... and does somebody know how many rounds we're doing? i dont think we have set that in stone yet.

Of course, aging them gives us the problem that old players will become useless, but we won't have information on future rookies, since they haven't played in the majors yet. Guesses based on stats from the minors are limited at best. We'll lose more players than we'll gain.

Of course, aging them gives us the problem that old players will become useless, but we won't have information on future rookies, since they haven't played in the majors yet. Guesses based on stats from the minors are limited at best. We'll lose more players than we'll gain.
    yeah... well does OOTP improves or decline ratings cuz of performance and age? and wouldnt they have ratings on the guys who just playing this year or prospects in the minors? and again... whos really gonna draft someone older than say 38? well i know im not.

This is 3 consecutive years, so if you draft someone like Curt Schilling, you're taking the risk that he may be useless by the 3rd year.

Blog Entries
    Here's what I know about OOTP (Evan, feel free to correct any inaccuracies):

The game does not come pre-loaded with players. Numerous MLB roster sets can be downloaded for free, however. The most accurate of these is probably the CubbyFan23 set, which includes ALL players, majors and minors (I haven't tested it out myself, but that's what it's been in previous versions. All players are given overall and potential ratings, overall based on stats, and potential based on a whole bunch of people looking at it and making adjustments. Players get better and worse with age, at a rate defined by the person who creates the roster pack using options from the game.

Man, I wish I'd paid attention to that sooner...

I've always gotten the impression that getting half way accurate ratings on players based on time in the minors is next to impossible. It's obvious that some won't be any good in the majors, and there's a few standouts that will probably do pretty well in the majors. But there's always those can't miss players that end up never getting anywhere. And even of those that make it, it's hard to have any idea if they'll be decent, or if they'll be amazing.

But if that's all we have to work with...
    Last edited by Wade8813; 09-05-2007 at 08:58 PM.

Hey Williamsburg, you have Ortiz listed as 6.5 million, but mlb4u says he got a new contract for 12.5 million a year.

+ later signed 4-year EXTENSION worth 52M thru 2010 on 4/10/06- + the deal supersedes option for 2007 and includes a Team Option for 2011 worth 12.5M or no buyout- + he receives a 2M signing bonus payable in 3 installments in 2006 and salaries of 12.5M each year in 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010

Also, just an FYI for everyone - the ML minimum is $380,000.
    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast