Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do baseball players tape their wrists?

Why do baseball players tape their wrists?

I have played baseball all my life and have seen players at all levels wrap tape on there wrists. And I have never asked anyone why they do that. Can anyone tell me why haha thanks.

I think it might be for looks, but Im not sure. I would also like to know the true reason for it, as well as the purpose of eye black
    You got a dream, you gotta protect it. People can't do something themselves, they wanna tell you that you can't do it. You want something? Go get it. Period.

eye black is to take the glare from the sun away from your eyes, sorry if that doesnt make sense. I dont know about taped wrists.

Haha yeah I knew about the eye black but still wondering about the tape. Hopefully someone will be able to explain this.

Taping the wrists is for protection against twisting them unduly, and causing injury. Eye black is to cut down the glare of the Sun, or the lights during night games. Football players also use eye black. But, actually, if you look closely, players use a special tape, rather than eye black. When I played football, we burned corks, and used that for eye black.

Bob

people tape their wrists:
    1. Catchers do it to support their wrist.
    2. People will do it because of injury.
    3. But mostly people think theyre cool doing it because some mlb players do it.

Quote Originally Posted by paul5150 View Post
    3. But mostly people think theyre cool doing it because some mlb players do it.
    think?

I'm a catcher and before I really got good at blocking a ball in the dirt I would take lots of balls off the wrist so that's why I started taping my wrists. I would put alot of pre-wrap on too to give it some more cusion. I think MOST people do it for looks though. lol

People say that eye black is supposed to stop the glare of the sun/lights, but does it actually help? From my experience not really... I just use it for looks.
    You got a dream, you gotta protect it. People can't do something themselves, they wanna tell you that you can't do it. You want something? Go get it. Period.

I do it for wrist support. During a regular day at the field I'll probably take anywhere from 100-200 swings...sometimes more sometimes less. After doing that everyday for a season including Spring Training I will probably take 30-40,000 swings. Taping your wrists give them support from the daily pounding they recieve.

hey hiddengem thanks for the answer haha I just never knew why. ALso did you ever play against cole hamels from the phillies in the minors???

Not sure the taping helps at all. If you tape it to the point it offers true support you limit your range of motion. If you tape it where it doesnt limit your range of motion...then how much are you supporting it?

I am not speaking from experience I never tape them, but it just seems to make sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by bbfreak8 View Post
    I'm a catcher and before I really got good at blocking a ball in the dirt I would take lots of balls off the wrist so that's why I started taping my wrists. I would put alot of pre-wrap on too to give it some more cusion. I think MOST people do it for looks though. lol
    hehe i stuff prewrap in my catchers mitt also a nice long terrycloth wristband(6inch) would do the same and youll still look cool.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulypal View Post
    Not sure the taping helps at all.
    The why do gymnast tape their wrists?

BTW not recommended for youngsters....
    "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
    - John Cotton Dana (18561929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

Like HG said, for support. Many guys on my team tape their wrists (18under team).

Not sure the taping helps at all. If you tape it to the point it offers true support you limit your range of motion. If you tape it where it doesnt limit your range of motion...then how much are you supporting it?

I am not speaking from experience I never tape them, but it just seems to make sense to me.
    Just trust me..it helps support your wrists and limits the stress put on them.

When I played with Bagwell, he taped his wrists so tight that his hands were freezing cold no matter how hot it was outside. Do you think he would just do that for looks?

what if your a pitcher? would you only tape your left wrist?

Quote Originally Posted by hiddengem View Post
    Just trust me..it helps support your wrists and limits the stress put on them.

When I played with Bagwell, he taped his wrists so tight that his hands were freezing cold no matter how hot it was outside. Do you think he would just do that for looks?
    Well like I said I never tape them so I dont know from experience. I am sure it gets done for a reason, but my experience with any support device is it limits range of motion to some degree.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesh23 View Post
    what if your a pitcher? would you only tape your left wrist?
    pitchers dont tape their wrists. Why would a pitcher need to? You're not allowed either i beleive.

Quote Originally Posted by paul5150 View Post
    pitchers dont tape their wrists. Why would a pitcher need to? You're not allowed either i beleive.
    Nope. Pitchers aren't allowed anything on their wrists (wristbands, tape, bracelets). They also aren't allowed wearing white sleeves as it can camoflauge the ball. If they have tatoo's they must wear long sleeves like Brandon League.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianKid View Post
    Nope. Pitchers aren't allowed anything on their wrists (wristbands, tape, bracelets). They also aren't allowed wearing white sleeves as it can camoflauge the ball. If they have tatoo's they must wear long sleeves like Brandon League.
    There is NO restriction on the sleeve color in OBR: 1.11 (a) (1) All players on a team shall wear uniforms identical in color, trim and style, and all players uniforms shall include minimal six inch numbers on their backs. (2) Any part of an undershirt exposed to view shall be of a uniform solid color for all players on a team. Any player other than the pitcher may have numbers, letters, insignia attached to the sleeve of the undershirt. (3) No player whose uniform does not conform to that of his teammates shall be permitted to participate in a game.

US FED rules prohibit white sleeves for pitchers.

Bob

During college I had to tape both wrists, about 3 years ago I was just down to my right one. This year I didn't have to tape my right one either.

It wasn't about looks it was about them (esp the right one) hurting every swing and every time I caught a ball.

I was very happy that I didn't have to do it once, and hope never to do it again. I would rather be pain free than have to tape them up.

Well like I said I never tape them so I dont know from experience. I am sure it gets done for a reason, but my experience with any support device is it limits range of motion to some degree.
    I've taped my wrists ever since I can remember and it is great for support, and I think it limits range of motion you don't want your wrists to go. For instance, look at NFL players they tape their ankles so much it is more like a splint than anything else and acts as protection againt injury. Same thing for baseball.
    The single most difficult thing to do is hit a baseball - Ted Williams (Teddy Ballgame)

Quote Originally Posted by padresfan2007 View Post
    I have played baseball all my life and have seen players at all levels wrap tape on there wrists. And I have never asked anyone why they do that. Can anyone tell me why haha thanks.
    I've been taping my wrists since way back.

Main reason for protection...
    Second, when you're throwing the ball, you don't flick your wrist as much. It helps me throw more accurately. [consistent release points]...

That's just me.
    CATCH ME AT 3RD OR BEHIND THE PLATE

I think that limiting range is kind of the point of taping your wrist? The tape limits your range enough that you won't jam or strain *spelling* your wrist...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast