Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: 20 questions

I've got another one. 20 questions!
    Holding a pitcher accountable for how many runs his team scores is like holding the designated hitter accountable for how many runs his team allows.

An individual statistic is meaningful only if it is based strictly on what the player does and not on what the other players on his team do.

Was he primarily a pitcher?
    "The value of a stat is directly proportional to how good it makes Steve Garvey look." -- Nerdlinger

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Harris View Post
    Was he primarily a pitcher?
    No.

I encourage you to ask several questions at once.
    Holding a pitcher accountable for how many runs his team scores is like holding the designated hitter accountable for how many runs his team allows.

An individual statistic is meaningful only if it is based strictly on what the player does and not on what the other players on his team do.

2. Did he bat left-handed?

3. Did he play in the American League?

4. Was he primarily an infielder?

5. Did he play in the major leagues before 1946?
    "The value of a stat is directly proportional to how good it makes Steve Garvey look." -- Nerdlinger

2. Did he bat left-handed?
    NO

3. Did he play in the American League?
    YES

4. Was he primarily an infielder?
    NO

5. Did he play in the major leagues before 1946?
    No

Did he wear a blue cap while playing?

How many yeams did he play for?

Did he play for a World Series winner?

Did he accumulate 2,000 hits in his career?

Did he steal 200 bases?

Did he play for the Yankees?

Quote Originally Posted by brad harris View Post
    did he play for a world series winner?
    no

did he accumulate 2,000 hits in his career?
    no

did he steal 200 bases?
    no

did he play for the yankees?
    no

Quote Originally Posted by Yankwood View Post
    Did he wear a blue cap while playing?
    YES, he wore a blue cap

Let's revive this!

Did he play in the American League West? NO

Did he primarily play outfield? YES

Was he caucasian? YES

Did he play for more than one MLB team? NO

Let's revive this!

Did he play in the American League West? NO

Did he primarily play outfield? YES

Was he caucasian? YES

Did he play for more than one MLB team? NO

Quote Originally Posted by BiZmaRK View Post
    No.

I encourage you to ask several questions at once.
    Great, so people can ask bad questions without even knowing the answers to their previous ones
    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
    Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Blog Entries
    Bumping this thread with a little twist. We're back to Hall of Famers, except this time you have to identify the season as well, such as Jim Rice 1978. This will most likely require narrowing it to a player, and then to a season. Since I've never tried this, I'm not going to have a question limit for the game yet. Despite leaving that open, each participant should ask smart questions, and so for now will be limited to two questions per post. Ask away. Starting hint: It's not Jim Rice 1978.
    Last edited by AstrosFan; 05-14-2013 at 02:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AstrosFan View Post
    Bumping this thread with a little twist. We're back to Hall of Famers, except this time you have to identify the season as well, such as Jim Rice 1978. This will most likely require narrowing it to a player, and then to a season. Since I've never tried this, I'm not going to have a question limit for the game yet. Despite leaving that open, each participant should ask smart questions, and so for now will be limited to two questions. Ask away. Starting hint: It's not Jim Rice 1978.
    Was he primarily a position player?
    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.

Blog Entries
    Was he primarily a position player? YES

Was he primarily a position player? YES
    Was he primarily an infielder?

Blog Entries
    Was he primarily an infielder? NO

Was he primarily an infielder? NO
    OK guys, so he was primarily an outfielder. I guess I'm out of questions, so I can't ask anything like did he play primarily in the National League, or after World War 2?
    Last edited by RuthMayBond; 05-14-2013 at 04:21 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthMayBond View Post
    OK guys, so he was primarily an outfielder. I guess I'm out of questions, so I can't ask anything like did he play primarily in the National League, or after World War 2?
    I edited the original post because I thought something like this might happen. I meant you are limited to two questions per post, and when you have asked them, you must wait until I answer before asking more questions. This applies to individual posters. To clarify:

A poster can ask two questions in a post. Then he must wait until his questions have been answered before asking more. Another poster may ask two more in the meantime, or he may wait the first's questions have been answered. The same waiting rules apply to that person, and any others.

I think that should take care of it, but if anyone is still confused, just say so.

Since your last question was answered, RMB, you are free to go again.
    Last edited by AstrosFan; 05-14-2013 at 05:30 PM.

Then my two questions are, did he play primarily in the National League, and did he play primarily after World War 2

Blog Entries
    Then my two questions are, did he play primarily in the National League, and did he play primarily after World War 2
    Yes to both.

So we're down to Slaughter, Mays, Kiner, Snider, Ashburn, Aaron, Clemente, Frank Robinson, Billy Williams, Brock, Stargell, Dawson, Gwynn plus recent guys

Blog Entries
    So we're down to Slaughter, Mays, Kiner, Snider, Ashburn, Aaron, Clemente, Frank Robinson, Billy Williams, Brock, Stargell, Dawson, Gwynn plus recent guys
    Was he a right handed batter?

Blog Entries
    Was he a right handed batter? YES

Was he a right handed batter? YES
    Mays, Kiner, Aaron, Clemente, Frank Robinson, Dawson, or a recent guy. Did his last name start with a letter between A and J, inclusive?

Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast