Page 24 of 38 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Laser Beam View Post
    As for the Metrodome: They should build the new stadium on that site. It's got the transit infrastructure already in place...
    Well, it has a light rail station and some parking lots... and one bar...

The site by Target Field has light rail, commuter rail, and future inter-city rail one block away. Not to mention many large ramps (some directly off the freeways), and the Warehouse District / First Ave three blocks away
    There's no use being pessimistic, it won't work anyways

"I can't imagine how college teams in New England handle the beginnings of college baseball."

BC, as an example, plays in Florida or South Carolina for its first 18 games, a month long road trip from Feb 17 to March 18. I guess these "student-athletes" are athletes first and students second.
    Last edited by hcorday; 02-09-2012 at 03:48 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Dodgeboy View Post
    Well, it has a light rail station and some parking lots... and one bar...

The site by Target Field has light rail, commuter rail, and future inter-city rail one block away. Not to mention many large ramps (some directly off the freeways), and the Warehouse District / First Ave three blocks away
    I didn't know there was room near Target Field to build another new stadium. If that's the case, then yes, do it there.

They could even use the name Target again...they've already got Target FIELD for the Twins, Target CENTER for the T-wolves, so perhaps Target STADIUM for the Vikings?
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy114 View Post
    Can't they built a small dome for baseball? I mean like just a bubble or something with small amounts of seating?
    Why retractable stands in a Vikings dome would be perfect for baseball. Unlike the Twins games, there isn't as much of a need for seating. Part of the reason why the Metrodome wasn't perfect for football was that they had to maintain a shape that allowed for the most baseball seating too.

I was just thinking a small stadium with a good baseball shape if the vikings don't want those kind of seats or lose any shape from football.
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

(edit: damned double post... )
    Last edited by Mr. Laser Beam; 02-09-2012 at 11:25 AM.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Perhaps the new Golden Gophers ballpark (to replace Siebert Field) could have a roof or dome?

That way, the new Vikings stadium could remain 'pure' football.

Perhaps the new Golden Gophers ballpark (to replace Siebert Field) could have a roof or dome?

That way, the new Vikings stadium could remain 'pure' football.
    yeah I mean if Idaho football can put together a tiny dome for football and basketball why can't Gopher baseball? See:
    moscow_kibbie1.jpg

g-DSC_0106LongShotofD2-lg.jpg
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Here is a good video of the Metrodome being converted from baseball to football and back:

Ik heb een intense liefde voor de brouwers

who would pay for it?
    not just an air supported bubble,it'll run at least $5 million...
    the turd in the punchbowl
    reality really sucks.
    enjoy the game more...

Quote Originally Posted by Paul W View Post
    who would pay for it?
    not just an air supported bubble,it'll run at least $5 million...
    That's what boosters are for.
    Jerry

^ Yep. The university is already actively soliciting donations. Not saying it'll be easy, but I'm sure they've got plans.

And I don't *expect* the new Gophers ballpark to have a roof, but it would be nice if it did. It'd sure make things easier on the Vikings - wouldn't make them pollute their new stadium with a sport it's obviously not meant for.

Quote Originally Posted by jl1718 View Post
    That's what boosters are for.
    they have less to give these days - like everybody else...
    the turd in the punchbowl
    reality really sucks.
    enjoy the game more...

Some questions I have about the Metrodome:

- In the football configuration, are the dugouts still visible?
    no. They put temporary seats around it

- Do they even still play baseball at the Dome? As far as I know, the baseball Gophers (the sole remaining baseball tenant after the Twins left) have abandoned the Dome and have been using Target Field ever since the Dome roof collapse, while they get ready to renovate Siebert Field. Is this still in effect? If so, is anything being done to the Dome field to make it more "pure football", or do they figure it'd be pointless (since the Vikings will soon either get a new stadium, or move)?
    The Gophers are playing all home games at the Humpty Dome this year except for two games. One game will be at Target Field and on May 1 they are playing a non-conference game against St Thomas (small college in St Paul) at Siebert Field as "a final home game" there....
    High School football and soccer games are held there including the state semi finals and finals
    TONS of college baseball games. Check the dome site and you'll see some days that have games that start at 7AM or even 10PM....it all depends on what is going on there. Here is their schedule up to May
    http://www.msfc.com/detail.cfm/page/...YVQT_PFVOHZNS/

Here's a thought: When the Vikings get a new stadium, how about keeping the Metrodome and using it only for baseball? The inside could be renovated and made more authentically baseball-oriented.

Even if the occasional football game might still be played at the Dome, it would still work. We've seen football fields squeezed into some baseball-only parks. Let them do that here. There'd be more baseball than football there, so logically it would make sense for baseball to be the primary focus of the arena. So have some renovations to that effect, and for once make FOOTBALL be the second-class tenant.

And the added benefit would be, the Vikings' new stadium could be kept pure and football-only.
    Last edited by Mr. Laser Beam; 02-12-2012 at 05:06 PM.

I don't think a major renovation would be needed. The seats around the plate are OK, and you don't need much more than that for crowds for high school and college games. Even state tournament football and soccer aren't huge draws. The big question is would the money from rentals cover the expenses of keeping the dome inflated and heated.
    "Shake it off. That's part of the game, you know. Baseball, hotdogs, apple pie and a shot in the mask." - Bob Uecker.

Here's a thought: When the Vikings get a new stadium, how about keeping the Metrodome and using it only for baseball? The inside could be renovated and made more authentically baseball-oriented.
    if the state gets its way that thought wont be needed (the state wants to build on the Dome site)

Without the Vikings the Metrodome can't afford to pay it's maintenance bills. The numbers I've heard are somewhere between 8-12 million a year just to keep the lights on and keep the dome inflated. The other issue you'd have with keeping the Metrodome would be you'd now have 2 venues competing, and thus driving down the price for the monster truck jams, truck pulls, Hmong new years and other 15-25k attendance events that help defer the costs of maintaining either building. As useful as the Dome is for college baseball the crowds those events draw are in the dozens, and you're paying about 5 bucks to get in.

Quote Originally Posted by iceberg View Post
    if the state gets its way that thought wont be needed (the state wants to build on the Dome site)
    The Vikings don't want that site though, do they?

Quote Originally Posted by iceberg View Post
    no. They put temporary seats around it

The Gophers are playing all home games at the Humpty Dome this year except for two games. One game will be at Target Field and on May 1 they are playing a non-conference game against St Thomas (small college in St Paul) at Siebert Field as "a final home game" there....
    High School football and soccer games are held there including the state semi finals and finals
    TONS of college baseball games. Check the dome site and you'll see some days that have games that start at 7AM or even 10PM....it all depends on what is going on there. Here is their schedule up to May
    http://www.msfc.com/detail.cfm/page/...YVQT_PFVOHZNS/
    I was amazed how many activities occur in the dome not even on the field. People use the concouses as large indoor tracks for running, etc. They were doing this even when the roof was broken.

So from today, Minnesota runners can take their evening runs inside from Tuesday November 24, when the Minnesota Distance Runners Association's bi-weekly running nights at the Metrodome in downtown Minneapolis start for the winter. The MDRA and the Metrodome open the dome for running between 5 p.m. and 8 p.m. every Tuesday and Thursday evening, except for Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve, until March 11. Entrance costs $1 and parking is free in the upper Metrodome parking lot.

Rollerblades were invented in Minnesota, and by the looks of most paved trails and scenic paths in the summer, Minnesotans love their home grown invention. And, thanks again to the Metrodome, inline skaters, and rollerskaters and rollerskiiers, can skate around the Metrodomes' upper and lower concourses without snagging their wheels on the ice at Rollerdome events.

The upper level of the Metrodome is for advanced and fitness skaters, and the lower levels is for families and beginners. The Rollerdome opened at the beginning of November and will continue until the end of March. The dome is opened to skaters an average of three days a week, fitting around other events at the dome. Entry to the Rollerdome is $6.50, with discounts for children, seniors and students. Skate rental is $5, safety gear is free to borrow, parking is free, and there's a free coat check.

The Star Tribune in Minneapolis posted a photo gallery today called "The ‘Metrodome Neighborhood’ over the years":

http://www.startribune.com/politics/141096173.html

1974:

M19768225.JPG

May 25, 1980:

M19767879.JPG

August 13, 1980:

M19767997.JPG

February, 1981:

M19768053.JPG

April 6, 1981:

M19768139.JPG

More from the Star Tribune Metrodome gallery:

http://www.startribune.com/politics/141096173.html

October, 1981:

M19767817.JPG

April 6, 1982:

M3804735.JPG

January 27, 1992:

two0126.jpg

Looks like the Metrodome may be history. Link

This place looks pretty good without a roof on it, shame they can't pop the top.

Also why are the football lines drawn that direction, I thought they played from 3rd/home to right not 3rd to 1st?

Looks like the Metrodome may be history. Link
    According to the info on your link, the new facility, on the corpse of the current Metrodome, WILL accomodate "amateur baseball."

Page 24 of 38 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast