Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Wmlb?

NotAboutEgo Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JeepingBaseball View Post
    its not strictly MLB. It's the cable networks and the cost of greed. If you actually go to the city of any of MLB team, you will find it well advertised. Taxi cabs, buses, trains/subways, bars, dining restrooms, they are everywhere.

Advertising on tv is a whole new ballpark. MLB just doesnt justify a 6 million dollar payout for a 30 second spot for whoever the team is. And you cant advertise it on any other network but the network who agreed to broadcast 25% of their games. Such as Channel 11 in NY for the Mets. Not worth the money for a sub channel no one will see untill game time (the market the commericial is intended for) It's not on NBC, CBS, or ABC.

Fox, who have a separate agreement because it's with MLB themselves and not to any team alone, get to advertise who is going to appear on Fox. Fox doesnt have to pay 10's of millions of dollars for those spots, they are advertising themselves.

In actual reality, MLB is the king of marketing when it comes to the city and metro area of the team. And never hurts when you got fans walking around with the team logos on them... you're a walking advertisement. And that's free to them.
    I agree with metfan13 on the terrible way MLB braodcasts. It's not just up to the networks to decide when, how, and where MLB games get broadcast. MLB has complete control over its games. I used to buy the MLB TV subscription so I could see games while I was traveling, but I haven't done so lately because of how MLB controls broadcasts and rips fans off. I also bought the MLB package one summer and tried to cancel it when I found out I couldn't get games in my team's viewing area when they weren't on Fox Sports or the local channel, but I wasn't able to cancel the package. I had to pay for it the whole season, even though I didn't get to watch a single game. It's such a rip off.

But if MLB keeps ticking people off, the same thing will happen that's happening with the Detroit Red Wings. They've ticked enough people off that they can't fill the seats... and you never used to be able to tget a ticket to a game unless your company or a friend had seats.

Here's where MLB kills themselves. I live in Charlotte, NC, but having grown up near NYC I'm a Mets fan. I buy the Extra Innings package on cable, but I can't watch any games against Cincinnati, Atlanta or Washington, because they're blacked out here. now of course I can get the Braves games on TBS and other cable channels so that's no big deal, but why not Washington? Are they afraid I may not drive 7 hours to DC on a Tuesday because it's on TV? If the Washington games were broadcast here on another outlet I could see this exclusiveness, but the current system is just stupid. I'm a paying customer, let me watch your product.

NotAboutEgo Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by metfan13 View Post
    Here's where MLB kills themselves. I live in Charlotte, NC, but having grown up near NYC I'm a Mets fan. I buy the Extra Innings package on cable, but I can't watch any games against Cincinnati, Atlanta or Washington, because they're blacked out here. now of course I can get the Braves games on TBS and other cable channels so that's no big deal, but why not Washington? Are they afraid I may not drive 7 hours to DC on a Tuesday because it's on TV? If the Washington games were broadcast here on another outlet I could see this exclusiveness, but the current system is just stupid. I'm a paying customer, let me watch your product.
    Exactly. If we're paying extra to get the games that aren't broadcast on Fox Sports or whatever channel, we should be able to watch any game. It's complete crap. There are a lot of things wrong with MLB... like how it controls the ticket sales for All-Star games and how you can't buy tix for one game. Rather, they make you buy the whole package... even for FanFest and events you may not want to go to.

Quote Originally Posted by digglahhh View Post
    Okay. I think I get what you are saying now. The strength exhibited by a woman having a baby is not a testament to a woman's strength as it relates to being able to perform in any sport per se, but is more evidence that the notion of long term muscular endurance is not a foreign concept to the female body.

In that respect, I think it still may be apples to oranges, but it makes a lot more sense from a logical standpoint.
    Ask any girl today who is into sports and they will tell you they have stronger legs than boys. While the girls are signing up for soccer, the boys are playing video games.

Quote Originally Posted by SABR Steve View Post
    Ask any girl today who is into sports and they will tell you they have stronger legs than boys. While the girls are signing up for soccer, the boys are playing video games.
    Girls, what age are we talking about?

BTW, it is not that women's legs are stronger than men's, it is that women's legs are stronger in relation to their upper body than men's legs are in relation to theirs - I believe. I think this is a common misconception.

If we are talking about adolescent girls who have begun to physically mature and same age boys who develop later (on average) we are not talking a strict physiological difference resulting from gender, but a difference between genders at an isolated point in time as a result of different developmental patterns.

Plenty of young girls fritter their time away in front of the TV with a game controller in their hands too.
    THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT COME WITH A SCORECARD

In the avy: AZ - Doe or Die

Quote Originally Posted by Charger567 View Post
    The type of poker games and skateboarding competitions televised are the top talents in the world.
    False.

Texas Hold 'Em is the most popular form of televised poker. When was the last time a pro won the WSOP Hold 'Em tourney.?

The televised poker circuit is overpopulated with player who are far from top level - don't believe me, ask Phil Helmuth...

In fact the proliferation of amateurs has chased many of the pros away from Hold 'Em.

Additionally, you can put on any of the sports channels in the late nights and watch a bunch of dolts who can't even balance their own checkbook sitting down for a game of what might as well be lottery with the level of poker acumen displayed at the table...

That's not even to mention, "Celebrity Poker Challenge," that NY vs. Boston poker series on YES, some sort of rapper poker challenge that used to be on (or maybe still is) on Saturday nights. I know those are attempts at mixing markets, but suffice to say that televised poker rarely, at this point, represents the pinnacle of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by SABR Steve View Post
    Then why aren't girls kicking field goals all over the place?

NotAboutEgo Guest
    Number one... I doubt there are many youth football programs out there for girls (I have heard of some here and there but am not aware of many that exist), and number two, what age girls are you talking about?

Again, we can go back to what we've talked about for girls' and women's baseball programs (the lack of) and relate it to the lack of girls' football programs. There are some pro/semi-pro women's football teams and leagues, but what is there in terms of girls' youth football, girls' high school football, girls' collegiate football, etc?

So, how can girls kick field goals all over the place if there aren't programs out there for their development?

Just for the record, my response has nothing to do with women playing with men or comparing the two. It's simply stating that there is a huge lack of girls' and women's football programs just as there is a lack of girls' and women's baseball programs.

NotAboutEgo Guest
    I'm not stating that women have more lower body strength than men do, but I can certainly hold my own when playing coed roller hockey and coed soccer and when guys run into me and try to knock me down. Almost always, they end up falling down while I'm still standing. I've always had above average lower body strength (but not a lot of upper body strength or overall core strength), and I've learned to brace myself if I see someone coming at me, so I'm able to withstand most of the pushing and shoving (plus, I've been skating since I was about 5 and used to skateboard when I was that age).

I've been working on improving my core strength the past 2 months through several types of yoga, and it's working. I threw a baseball on Saturday for the first time in a month, and I threw it much harder than I ever have before. It's all because of the yoga, because I haven't lifted weights in about 8-9 months and haven't changed anything else. I will never go back to weight lifting after learning about yoga and seeing all that it can do for me.

What, you have never seen Kathy Ireland in Necessary Roughness?

Quote Originally Posted by NotAboutEgo View Post
    I'm not stating that women have more lower body strength than men do, but I can certainly hold my own when playing coed roller hockey and coed soccer and when guys run into me and try to knock me down. Almost always, they end up falling down while I'm still standing. I've always had above average lower body strength (but not a lot of upper body strength or overall core strength), and I've learned to brace myself if I see someone coming at me, so I'm able to withstand most of the pushing and shoving (plus, I've been skating since I was about 5 and used to skateboard when I was that age).

I've been working on improving my core strength the past 2 months through several types of yoga, and it's working. I threw a baseball on Saturday for the first time in a month, and I threw it much harder than I ever have before. It's all because of the yoga, because I haven't lifted weights in about 8-9 months and haven't changed anything else. I will never go back to weight lifting after learning about yoga and seeing all that it can do for me.
    Yeah, that goes back to my point.

The disparity between lower body strength between men and women is, on average, lesser than that of upper body strength.

BTW, yesterday morning with my girlfriend gone, I pulled up a yoga routine off of the Exercise TV in-demand.

I'm overweight and out of shape - almost entirely in the gut - and I've decided to get back into shape this year. I figured I'd start out doing a lot of cardio in order to drop weight, and then perhaps integrate some weights down the road. I did some jogging in the morning, and decided to check out what the beginner yoga had to offer.

Whoa! Yoga is no freaking joke - not that I expected it to be.

NotAboutEgo Guest
    Yeah, that goes back to my point.

The disparity between lower body strength between men and women is, on average, lesser than that of upper body strength.

BTW, yesterday morning with my girlfriend gone, I pulled up a yoga routine off of the Exercise TV in-demand.

I'm overweight and out of shape - almost entirely in the gut - and I've decided to get back into shape this year. I figured I'd start out doing a lot of cardio in order to drop weight, and then perhaps integrate some weights down the road. I did some jogging in the morning, and decided to check out what the beginner yoga had to offer.

Whoa! Yoga is no freaking joke - not that I expected it to be.
    No, yoga is no joke... contrary to what most people think. Most people think (according to their reactions when mentioning yoga) it's solely about sitting and meditating, and they make fun of that. There are several types of yoga with different purposes. In some, the focus is meditation, with some there is less focus on meditation and more focus on performing the poses, and with others, it's a combination.

Currently, I'm practicing Bikram yoga, ahstanga yoga (just started that one last week), and a yoga DVD called "Yoga Burn" by Rodney Yee. I love them all, and they are all different from one another, yet similar in some ways (using similar asanas... poses... similar focus, etc.), and they all compliment one another. Bikram and ashtanga are intense, while the "Yoga Burn" DVD is less intense but is very rewarding. I will be trying vinyasa for the first time at my gym this week. It's like ashtanga but isn't quite as intense... from what I hear.

I've also tried iyengar yoga once, but it was a beginner class and wasn't intense enough for me. I heard there are higher levels that are more intense.

As I said, I'll never go back to lifting weights again, because I enjoy the yoga a lot more. It engages the mind more and connects mind, body, and spirit. I enjoy certain forms of cardio, but I get bored with it quickly.

Each of my yoga workouts is 1 hour to 1.5 hours, and I get way more benefit out of it than lifting weights and doing cardio. I used to lift weights 3 times a week, for 2 hours each time, and then I'd do cardio 3 days a week in between the weight lifting for 1.5 hours... so I spent a lot more time doing that and didn't get as much benefit.

Just to let you know, I've been toning, strength training, and losing some pounds much faster with yoga (and I feel terrific after each yoga workout). I also am eating a lot better now, so that helps tremendously. All of it together is working like a charm. As long as you are dedicated, it works.

Just to let you know, I've been toning, strength training, and losing some pounds much faster with yoga (and I feel terrific after each yoga workout). I also am eating a lot better now, so that helps tremendously. All of it together is working like a charm. As long as you are dedicated, it works.
    Yeah, tell me about it.

Good for you!

With me, it's always been an issue of commitment. I have to totally change my mindset, but when I do, I'm good to go. I enjoy eating healthy, it is just more prep time.

As far as working out, I can do that too - it's not a problem. I was just trying to get a feel for different things.

Far and away though, the greatest culprit for me is alcohol.

I'm not stating that women have more lower body strength than men do,
    Then why did you say this?

Ask any girl today who is into sports and they will tell you they have stronger legs than boys.
    And if they have stronger legs then why do male soccer players kick harder and farther?

And if they have stronger legs then why do male soccer players kick harder and farther?
    Guys have more core strength. Though I sure would like to know why evolution designed females with less. Makes no sense. Would like to know the same for the lack of upper body strength in women too. Any anthropologists in the house?

Quote Originally Posted by captlid View Post
    Guys have more core strength. Though I sure would like to know why evolution designed females with less. Makes no sense. Would like to know the same for the lack of upper body strength in women too. Any anthropologists in the house?
    So then the previously stated, girls having stronger legs, has no relevent meaning in this discussion?

NotAboutEgo Guest
    Then why did you say this?
    I was simply stating my personal experiences, without regard to who's stronger than the other.... because it doesn't matter. Like I said, I can hold my own. It doesn't mean I have more lower body strength than most guys and it doesn't mean I have less lower body strength. It simply doesn't matter. I simply stated that I can hold my own.

Try to start seeing things from a perspective other than who's stronger... who's better... etc.

NotAboutEgo Guest
    Life isn't a contest. It's an experience to learn and grow from.

NotAboutEgo Guest
    Yeah, tell me about it.

Good for you!

With me, it's always been an issue of commitment. I have to totally change my mindset, but when I do, I'm good to go. I enjoy eating healthy, it is just more prep time.

As far as working out, I can do that too - it's not a problem. I was just trying to get a feel for different things.

Far and away though, the greatest culprit for me is alcohol.
    I have no problem with not consuming alcohol. I don't even like it. I'd rather have soda, sweet tea, fresh lemonade or fresh fruit juice any day. I have times when it's hard for me to motivate myself enough to work out, but once I find something I like, then it's easy... especially when I see results. As far as the food, it's not as hard for me to let go of the not-so-good stuff. Once I start eating healthily, I don't want to go back to the food that makes my body feel badly. I just keep it simple and as easy as I can while eating healthily.

I was simply stating my personal experiences, without regard to who's stronger than the other.... because it doesn't matter. Like I said, I can hold my own. It doesn't mean I have more lower body strength than most guys and it doesn't mean I have less lower body strength. It simply doesn't matter. I simply stated that I can hold my own.

Try to start seeing things from a perspective other than who's stronger... who's better... etc.
    Once again, you change direction when questioned about a statement you made.

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast