• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Aa3rt
    Still a Senators fan!
    • Oct 2003

Nationals 2, Cubs 0

Sunday, April 27

John Lannan throws 7 innings of shut out ball, giving up just 4 hits as the Nats rebound against the Cubs. Lannan's record is now 2-2.

The Cubs Ted Lilly gives up just 2 runs in the bottom of the 2nd but that would be all the Nats would need as Luis Ayala and Jon Rauch pitch 1 inning a piece and make the lead hold. Rauch gets his 4th save of the season.

Kosuke Fukudome doubled for the Cubs. Both teams squandered scoring chances, the Cubs leave 8 men on base, the Nationals 5.

Nationals record: 9 wins, 17 losses.

Current streak: 1 win.

Next game: Tuesday, April 29th vs. Atlanta in Washington @ 7:10PM EDT.
    "For the Washington Senators, the worst time of the year is the baseball season." Roger Kahn

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." Rogers Hornsby.

Comment

• Aa3rt
      Still a Senators fan!
      • Oct 2003

Washington 6, Atlanta 3

Tuesday, April 29

Washington FINALLY gets to win number 10 (double digits!) as the Nationals defeat the Braves 6-3.

The highlight of this game was the Nats offense getting untracked with back-to-back home runs from Ryan Zimmerman and Nick Johnson in the bottom of the third. Also contributing to the offense, Lastings Milledge, Austin Kearns and Ryan Zimmerman doubled for the winners.

Atlanta's Chipper Jones homered and Mark Teixeria doubled in the losing effort.

Tom Glavine goes 6 innings for Atlanta, giving up 2 runs, but does not figure in the decision. Blaine Boyer is charged with the loss, surrendering 4 runs in 1/3 of an inning.

Tim Redding goes 6 innings for Washington, also giving up 2 runs, and does not figure in the decision either. Saul Rivera gets the win, raising his record to 2-1. Luis Ayala pitched in the 8th, Chad Cordero only managed to get 1 out in the 9th before leaving the game with what is reported to be a strained lat muscle. The Nats have put him on the 15 day disabled list. Jon Rauch gets his 5th save, finishing the 9th.

Nationals record: 10 wins, 17 losses.

Current streak: 2 wins.

Next game: Wednesday, April 30th vs. Atlanta in DC @ 4:35PM EDT.
      "For the Washington Senators, the worst time of the year is the baseball season." Roger Kahn

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." Rogers Hornsby.

Comment

• Aa3rt
        Still a Senators fan!
        • Oct 2003

Nationals 3, Braves 2 (12 innings)

In a game filled with scoring opportunities, the Nationals manage to hang on to the lead and score 2 runs in the bottom of the 12th inning after loading the bases on a couple of bizarre plays.

Atlanta uses 6 pitchers, Washington 4, and once again, neither starter figures in the decision. Jurrens pitches 7 innings of 2 hit, 1 run ball for the Braves, Hill goes 8 innings, giving up 4 hits and 1 run for the Nats.

Saul Rivera gives up Atlanta's second run in the top of the 12th but gets the win.

Braves reliever Manny Acosta is charged with the loss.

With the Nats down 2-1 in the bottom of the 12th, and the bases loaded after a failed bunt attempt by Wil Nieves goes between Acosta's legs, Acosta walks in the tying run. Braves pitcher Carlyle comes in to a bases loaded situation with no outs and surrenders a game winning single to Felipe Lopez.

Nationals record: 11 wins, 17 losses.

Current streak: 3 wins.

Next game: Thursday, May 1 vs. the Pittsburgh Pirates in DC @ 7:35PM EDT.

Comment

• d33ps
          • Sep 2006

I'm not sure if Aa3rt is MIA or what, but i thought i would just update where he left off. If that's ok...

Since winning in extra frames vs the Braves 3-2, Nats have gone 3-1 in their last 4, with a winning streak of 2.

Nats 3 Pit 2
          Nats 4 Pit 11
          Nats 9 Pit 8
          Nats 5 Pit 2

They had a day off Monday and are set to play @ Houston tonight @ 8:05PM EST.
          Probable starters are Hill (0-0 3.50 ERA) vs Chacon (0-0 ERA 3.32)

:gt
          "Lopez received a routine day off from the starting lineup on Sunday, though he later entered the game as a defensive replacement.
          It's odd to see Lopez being superior defensively to anyone at shortstop, until you see that the Nats started D'Angelo Jimenez at short."

Comment

• Aa3rt
            Still a Senators fan!
            • Oct 2003

Originally posted by d33ps View Post
            I'm not sure if Aa3rt is MIA or what, but i thought i would just update where he left off. If that's ok...
            d33ps-Thanks for pinch hitting! I haven't been totally MIA as I'm trying to keep the "This Date in Senators History" thread up to date, but have had a number of things in my life crop up that interfere with what I truly enjoy.

BTW-This is by no means "my" thread and all BBF members are welcome and encouraged to contribute. I'm a big kid (or so my wife of 27 years tells me ) and my feelings won't be hurt if someone else steps in to help keep this thread up to date.

Thanks again!
            Last edited by Aa3rt; 05-07-2008, 06:19 AM.

Comment

• Aa3rt
              Still a Senators fan!
              • Oct 2003

Houston 6, Washington 5

Tuesday, May 6

The Nationals collide with the surprisingly resurgent Astros in Houston, with the Astros raising their record above the .500 mark (17-16) for the first time since April 22nd, while the Nationals drop to 14-19.

Luis Ayala is charged with the loss, Houston's Doug Brocail gets the win, Jose Valverde the save.

Once again, neither starting pitcher figures in the decision-Shawn Hill starts for the Nationals, pitching 5.1 innings, giving up 8 hits and 3 runs.

Houston starter Shawn Chacon pitches 7 innings, giving up 8 hits and 4 runs.

The Nationals manage their first 3 homer game of the season, with round trippers coming from Nick Johnson, Austin Kearns and a pinch hit home run from Aaron Boone. Christian Guzman and and Ryan Zimmerman contribute doubles.

Lance Berkman and Carlos Lee both doubled twice for the Astros with Kaz Matsui also contributing a 2 bagger.

Berkman also tied an Astros team record by going 5-5 in the game, a career high for him.

An ugly series of events by Washington in the 7th inning would make the difference in the scoring-a Lance Berkman hit bounces off the glove of Lastings Milledge, being scored as a double. Berkman stole third and was balked in by Saul Rivera. :dismay:

Nationals record: 14-19

Current streak: 1 loss

Next game: Wednesday, May 7th vs. the Astros in Houston @ 8:05PM EDT.
              Last edited by Aa3rt; 05-07-2008, 09:00 AM.

Comment

• Aa3rt
                Still a Senators fan!
                • Oct 2003

Astros 4, Nationals 3

Wednesday, May 7th

A walk, a wild pitch and a Carlos Lee single in the bottom of the 9th give the Astros a 4-3 win in an otherwise tightly pitched ballgame.

Odalis Perez started for the Nationals, giving up 3 runs in 5 innings. Roy Oswalt went 7 innings for the Astros also giving up 3 runs.

Joel Hanrahan is charged with the loss, walking Kaz Matsui, who was moved to second when Lance Berkman was intentionally walked. Jesus Colome replaced Hanrahan on the mound and allowed Matsui to advance to 3rd on a wild pitch, setting up a Carlos Lee RBI single to end the game.

Washington's offense came from 2 Ryan Zimmerman home runs, the first with Christian Guzman on base.

Felipe Lopez and Wily Mo Pena doubled for Washington. Unfortunately the Pena double was negated when he was thrown out at home by centerfielder Brad Ausmus by at least two steps on an ensuing play.

Lance Berkman hit his 11th home run of the season, Jose Valverde raises his record to 4-1.

Nationals record: 14-20

Current streak: 2 losses.

Next game: Thursday, May 8th vs. Astros in Houston, game time 8:05PM EDT.
                Last edited by Aa3rt; 05-08-2008, 12:33 PM.

Comment

• Aa3rt
                  Still a Senators fan!
                  • Oct 2003

Nationals 8, Astros 3

Thursday, May 8

The Astros 5 game winning streak and the Nationals 2 game losing streak end when the Nationals finally manage to come up with some offense and avoid the blunders that proved their undoing the last 2 games.

Nationals pitcher John Lannan evens his record at 3-3 while Astros pitcher Brandon Backe is charged with the loss, his record now 2-4.

Willie Harris and Rob Mackowiak both hit their first home runs as Nationals, with Aaron Boone and Nick Johnson contributing doubles.

Ty Wiggington doubles for Houston, and Lance Berkman continues to feast on Nats pitching with a 2 for 3 night.

Both teams used 4 pitchers, this time both of the starters figure in the decision.

Nationals record: 15-20

Current streak: 1 win.

Next game: Friday, May 9 vs. the Florida Marlins in Washington (if the rains subside) @ 7:35PM EDT.

Comment

• Aa3rt
                    Still a Senators fan!
                    • Oct 2003

Florida 7, Washington 3

The Marlins continue their mastery of the Nationals, upping their record in the season series to 6-1. The Marlins are now winners of 5 straight.

Tim Redding gets the start, and the loss, for the Nationals, his record for the season now 4-3.

Marlins starter Ricky Nolasco gets the win raising his record to 2-3.

Florida uses 5 pitchers in the contest, Washington 4.

Christian Guzman doubles for the Nats, his 10th of the season. Doubling for the Marlins were Hanley Ramirez and Luis Gonzalez.

Washington strands 9 runners, Florida 5.

Nationals record: 15-21.

Current streak: 1 loss.

Next game: Saturday, May 10 @ Washington, game time @ 7:10PM EDT.
                    Last edited by Aa3rt; 05-09-2008, 08:32 PM.

Comment

• Aa3rt
                      Still a Senators fan!
                      • Oct 2003

Marlins 11, Nationals 0

The Nationals Mike O'Connor, making his first start since September of 2006, surrenders a home run to the Marlins Cody Ross on the first pitch of the game. h This would be the only offense the Marlins would need as the Nats are held to 3 hits, but the Marlins hitters were just warming up.

Dan Uggla would drive in 5 runs, 4 with a grand slam in the top of the 4th and Wes Helms would also homer for the Marlins. Treanor and Luis Gonzalez would contribute doubles to the Marlins cause.

Almost overlooked in the offensive outburst, Andrew Miller pitches 7 strong innings, holding the Nats to 2 hits and raising his record to 3-2.

For the Nationals, Mike O'Connor is tagged with the loss, giving up 6 hits, 6 walks and 9 runs in 3.1 innings. Joel Hanrahan and Matt Chico would also be charged with 1 run each.

The only offense the Nats managed to mount were 3 singles, 2 by Felipe Lopez and the other by Christian Guzman, who also managed a stolen base.

Not that anyone needs reminding but the Nationals are now 1-7 versus the Marlins in this young season. :dismay:

Nationals record: 15-22

Current streak: 2 losses.

Next game: Sunday, May 11th vs the Marlins @ 1:35PM EDT.
                      Last edited by Aa3rt; 05-10-2008, 08:41 PM.

Comment

• Aa3rt
                        Still a Senators fan!
                        • Oct 2003

Marlins 5, Nationals 4

The Marlins complete the sweep of the Nationals in Washington h with a 5-4 Sunday afternoon victory.

A 7 inning, 5 hit, 2 run effort by Shawn Hill is wasted as Luis Ayala gives up 3 runs in the top of the 8th for the loss.

Scott Olsen started for the Marlins pitching 6 innings and giving up 4 runs. Logan Kensing gets the win, his record now 2-0 and Kevin Gregg gets his 7th save.

Offense for the Nationals comes from a Jesus Flores double, Aaron Boone who tripled and homered and a Ronnie Belliard homer.

However, that was overcome by 3 Marlins homers, 2 from Dan Uggla and the ultimate game winner from Jeremy Hermida off Luis Ayala in the top of the 8th inning.

Nationals record: 15-23

Current streak: 3 losses

Next game: Monday, May 12th in New York vs. the Mets at 7:10PM EDT (if the monsoon now hitting the east coast lets up)

Comment

• Aa3rt
                          Still a Senators fan!
                          • Oct 2003

Washington 10, New York 4

On a cold, windy, rainy night, more like early April than mid-May, the Nationals are 10-4 winners over the Mets with Nats pitcher Odalis Perez finally getting his first win of the season after 9 starts.

With the Nationals team BA a National League worst at .237, Perez helps his own cause with 3 hits and 2 RBI.

Mets starter Nelson Figueroa gets the loss, giving up 4 walks, 5 hits and 4 earned runs in 5 innings of work.

The Nationals use 3 pitchers (Perez, Schroder & Rivera), the Mets 5 (Figueroa, J. Sosa, Sanchez, Smith and Wagner).

Offense from the Nationals comes from doubles by Christian Guzman, Ryan Zimmerman, Lastings Milledge and Jesus Flores. The Mets counter with a double from Alou and homers from Wright and Easley.

Nationals record: 16-23

Current streak: 1 win

Next game: In New York vs. the Mets @ 7:10PM EDT.
                          Last edited by Aa3rt; 05-13-2008, 01:46 PM.

Comment

• Aa3rt
                            Still a Senators fan!
                            • Oct 2003

Mets 6, Nationals 3

Two former Nationals team up to provide the Mets with 5 of their 6 runs in a 6-3 New York win.

Mets pitcher John Maine raises his record to 5-2, pitching 6 innings of 2 hit, 1 run ball. Billy Wagner earns his 8th save for the Mets.

John Lannan takes the loss for the Nats, dropping his record to 3-4. Lannan also pitched 6 innings, but gave up 12 hits and 4 runs.

The Mets offense saw former Nationals outfielder Ryan Church go 2-4 with a double and a homer and 4 RBI. Former Nats catcher Brian Schneider doubled as did Mets 3rd baseman David Wright.

Offense for the Nats was limited to just 4 hits overall, with Elijah Dukes finally getting his first hit of the season, a double, after going 0-11. Ryan Zimmerman hit a homer for the Nats with Christian Guzman aboard.

Nationals record: 16-24

Current streak: 1 loss

Next game: Wednesday, May 14 @ NY vs Mets, 7:10PM EDT.

Comment

• Aa3rt
                              Still a Senators fan!
                              • Oct 2003

Nationals 5, Mets 3

Washington's Tim Redding pitches 6 innings of 2 hit, 1 run ball and Ryan Zimmerman connects for his 7th homer of the season as the Nationals win 5-3 in New York.

Mets starter Claudio Vargas pitches 6.1 innings, giving up only 3 hits and 2 runs but is tagged with the loss.

Jon Rauch earns save number 8 for the Nats.

In addition to the Zimmerman homer, Felipe Lopez hits his 5th double of the young season. For the Mets, Brian Schneider hits his second home run.

Nationals record: 17-24

Current streak: 1 win

Next game: Thursday, May 15 vs. the Mets in New York @ 1:10PM EDT.

Comment

• Aa3rt
                                Still a Senators fan!
                                • Oct 2003

Nationals 1, Mets 0

The Mets Mike Pelfry and the Nationals Jason Bergmann, just back from AAA Columbus, engage in a pitcher's duel, with Bergmann the eventual winner.

Pelfry tossed a no-hitter through 6 innings before it was broken up by an Aaron Boone single in the seventh.

The games' only run was scored by the Nats in the top of the eighth when Jesus Flores doubled and was advanced by a Willie Harris bunt and a Felipe Lopez sacrifice fly. Flores' double was the only extra base hit of the game.

A spectacular diving catch by Willie Harris in the bottom of the ninth with a runner on base helped preserve the win for Bergmann. Aaron Boone made some good plays at first. Boone was filling in for Nick Johnson, who is once again headed to the disabled list.

Jon Rauch earns his ninth save of the season.

Nationals record: 18-24

Current streak: 2 wins

Next game: The "Battle of the Beltways" resumes Friday, as the Nationals head to Baltimore to take on the Orioles in a 3 game set at OPACY (Orioles Park At Camden Yards), first game Friday, May 17th @ 7:05PM EDT.
                                Last edited by Aa3rt; 05-16-2008, 07:11 AM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X