Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves Field

Nice picture of the remaining RF pavillion and field site from what was the back of the former jury box bleachers!
    The 3 BU dorms are built on the site of the covered grandstand/box seat area.
    Brown Arena (white topped building with 3500 seat former BU hockey arena) is on the site of the LF pavillion.
    The field is still there (now in field turf covering). This picture looks like it was taken 5 to 10 years ago
    when the astro turf was still in place.
    A ton of baseball history to place here and the ghosts of many great baseball and football players are in this place.

Some Braves Field images from old Heritage/Mears auctions. Most appear to be from the late 1940's.

Early/mid 1950's The end is near

1955 The end is here.....

Though not entirely. This concourse area still remains from the original Braves Field. This was part of the grandstand concourse on the RF side (photo from The West End/Flickr)

Cool pics!

Amazing how little the ticket building has changed in 70 years:
    Last edited by StadiumPage; 02-28-2011 at 07:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Mendoza...HOF Lock View Post
    Some Braves Field images from old Heritage/Mears auctions. Most appear to be from the late 1940's.

Though not entirely. This concourse area still remains from the original Braves Field. This was part of the grandstand concourse on the RF side
    Really amazing photos. Some of those show a level of detail for the concourse that I've never seen before. That one showing the Jury Box reminds me of something I've often wondered about: beyond the inner fence and on the CF side of the Jury Box, there's clearly a hill. The original plan was for the outfield bleachers (later known as the JB) to be much longer, so that hill area would have had bleachers built over it. Maybe there was a hope to expand it that kept the owners from leveling the ground? But the question is, was that hill definitely there before the fences were brought in so that it was in play? Was that the Braves' version of Duffy's Cliff?

On the view underneath the RF pavilion (Nickerson Field) you can clearly see a diagonal concrete beam that marks where the end of the 1915 construction was and where the post Braves Field addition starts. And looking all the way down toward the end, the red guardrail marks the end of the pavilion concourse. Another ten feet or so past it is the outside wall. The space in between was the tunnel leading from the ticket building to the Jury Box bleachers.

What years might this diagram actually been correct?

I recently obtained a copy of the 1950 Major League Baseball Almanac, and it had diagrams of all the Major League ballparks.

The Braves Field Diagram was completely different from any diagram I have ever seen before, and I have never seen a picture depicting Braves Field this way.

Anybody have any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thursday, 6/17/48, Gene Mauch scoring on Braves C Bill Salkeld (and Warren Spahn) off P Hamner's 2B. Braves would prevail, 7-6.
    http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1...171BSN1948.htm

Larger pic here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/boston_...n/photostream/

'16 Series, Game 1, Red Sox vs Brooklyn Robins. Like in '15, the Red Sox played their WS home games at the larger park in town to draw more fans.

Sox CF Tillie Walker triples here in the first, but is left stranded. Sox prevailed, 6-5, even with the Robins scoring 4 in the 9th. HOFer Rube Marquard would suffer the loss after running out of gas in the 7th. First WS for Brooklyn's young right fielder, Casey Stengel, who appears to be in the outfield at right witnessing the play, and would go 2-4 today.

Sox would take the Series, 4 games to 1, for their second crown in a row. They'd win one more in 1918, then take a WS break for a few generations.

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1...070BOS1916.htm

http://www.legendaryauctions.com/Lot...x?lotid=110372

Quote Originally Posted by alpineinc View Post
    Thursday, 6/17/48, Gene Mauch scoring on Braves C Bill Salkeld (and Warren Spahn) off P Hamner's 2B. Braves would prevail, 7-6.
    http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1...171BSN1948.htm

Larger pic here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/boston_...n/photostream/
    Anybody know when photographers were eventually banned from the field?
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
    - Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by alpineinc View Post
    5/28/26

never saw this when i stopped by nickerson, wonder where it ended up...
    the turd in the punchbowl
    reality really sucks.
    enjoy the game more...

Exactly 2 Miles From Babe Ruth's Final Resting Place
    That was a GREAT demolition shot, Mario .... one I have never seen before. If anyone is wondering what the end/aisle seat ends looked like up close, wonder no more! Complete seats from Braves Field are next to IMPOSSIBLE to find. I know of only one (maybe two) in existence that are the real deal. I have seen others out there (notibly with wooden arm rests) that CLAIM to have been used in Braves Field, but I have my doubts about those seats! Luckily, seems a few fans & scavengers DID save some of these ornate seat sides .... so a handful of them DO exist! Matter of fact, I currently have two different ones posted on my site (www.CollectibleStadiumSeats.com).

One is beautifully restored (with artistic liberties, mind you), while the other is all original, but missing the top part of the design. These Braves Field relics ARE a bit pricey, but they are REALLY cool & extremely rare, too!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by RichieA13; 01-01-2012 at 09:20 AM.
    ------------------------------------------
    www.CollectibleStadiumSeats.com
    www.YankeeStadiumSeats.com
    www.SheaStadiumSeats.com

------------------------------------------

These six Braves Field fan shots were found in a scrapbook along with another six dated 1914 and feature the South End Grounds III (posted in the other thread). Of course, the reverse of these are blank... The centerfield area by flagpole appears fenced off and the outer fence topped with fans may indicate a significant event. Any ideas would be terrific!

Last edited by fdnyladder7; 01-20-2012 at 07:13 PM.

Blog Entries
    This is probably lighting for the railroad line and yards which ran behind the outfield walls.

Jackie and Sam Jethroe, Braves' first African-American player. Probably 1950.

stout_fig02b.jpg

http://90feetofperfection.com/page/39/

Alpine, Is that an original you own? Terrific image

Never seen one of these, so Im guessing it's authentic;

1942;
    Last edited by fdnyladder7; 02-12-2012 at 05:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fdnyladder7 View Post
    Alpine, Is that an original you own? Terrific image
    No, just a cool pic from an interesting blog I found (and linked to). Just bringing hidden gems to the baseball masses, lol.

The building behind the lone fan (on page 1 - first post) looks like the back of the ticket office - hence, it is the right field pavilion. I sat many times on the third base side of the grandstand in 1952, including the last day (Braves lost to the Dodgers).
    Last edited by petball; 02-12-2012 at 01:26 PM. Reason: not posted at end of post that I am responding to

Quote Originally Posted by petball View Post
    The building behind the lone fan (on page 1 - first post) looks like the back of the ticket office - hence, it is the right field pavilion. I sat many times on the third base side of the grandstand in 1952, including the last day (Braves lost to the Dodgers).
    Thank you. It's great to hear from someone who had actually a chance to see major league baseball at the most underrated of the classic ballparks.

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Ballpark View Post
    Thank you. It's great to hear from someone who had actually a chance to see major league baseball at the most underrated of the classic ballparks.
    And thank you for such a great site!

So was there an incline on the Gaffney/Pleasance side of the field, extending out from under under the jury box? fdnyladder7's excellent views from before the inner fences were built seems to show a gate just to the right of the flagpole whose floor is about a third of the way up the outer wall from field level. This would be comparable to the Terrace in Crosley or, more locally, Duffy's Cliff in Fenway.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast