X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alpineinc
    Behind the bag BSGD Mod
    • Nov 2006

Jackie and Sam Jethroe, Braves' first African-American player. Probably 1950.

stout_fig02b.jpg

Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection. – Red Smith

Showcasing the finest photography to illuminate the lesser known stories from classic baseball.
    Over 2500 followers, including Howie Rose, Keith Olbermann, NYT baseball writer Tyler Kepner

https://twitter.com/behindthebag

Comment

• fdnyladder7
      Team Veteran
      • Aug 2008

Alpine, Is that an original you own? Terrific image

Never seen one of these, so Im guessing it's authentic;

1942;
      Last edited by fdnyladder7; 02-12-2012, 05:36 PM.

Comment

• alpineinc
        Behind the bag BSGD Mod
        • Nov 2006

Originally posted by fdnyladder7 View Post
        Alpine, Is that an original you own? Terrific image
        No, just a cool pic from an interesting blog I found (and linked to). Just bringing hidden gems to the baseball masses, lol.

Showcasing the finest photography to illuminate the lesser known stories from classic baseball.
        Over 2500 followers, including Howie Rose, Keith Olbermann, NYT baseball writer Tyler Kepner

Comment

• petball
          • Apr 2009

The building behind the lone fan (on page 1 - first post) looks like the back of the ticket office - hence, it is the right field pavilion. I sat many times on the third base side of the grandstand in 1952, including the last day (Braves lost to the Dodgers).
          Last edited by petball; 02-12-2012, 01:26 PM. Reason: not posted at end of post that I am responding to

Comment

• The Old Ballpark
            • Oct 2008

Originally posted by petball View Post
            The building behind the lone fan (on page 1 - first post) looks like the back of the ticket office - hence, it is the right field pavilion. I sat many times on the third base side of the grandstand in 1952, including the last day (Braves lost to the Dodgers).
            Thank you. It's great to hear from someone who had actually a chance to see major league baseball at the most underrated of the classic ballparks.

Comment

• petball
              • Apr 2009

Originally posted by The Old Ballpark View Post
              Thank you. It's great to hear from someone who had actually a chance to see major league baseball at the most underrated of the classic ballparks.
              And thank you for such a great site!

Comment

• fdnyladder7
                Team Veteran
                • Aug 2008

bravesfield1919.jpg

Comment

• J.E.Fullerton
                  • Nov 2008

So was there an incline on the Gaffney/Pleasance side of the field, extending out from under under the jury box? fdnyladder7's excellent views from before the inner fences were built seems to show a gate just to the right of the flagpole whose floor is about a third of the way up the outer wall from field level. This would be comparable to the Terrace in Crosley or, more locally, Duffy's Cliff in Fenway.

Comment

• fdnyladder7
                    Team Veteran
                    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by J.E.Fullerton View Post
                    So was there an incline on the Gaffney/Pleasance side of the field, extending out from under under the jury box? fdnyladder7's excellent views from before the inner fences were built seems to show a gate just to the right of the flagpole whose floor is about a third of the way up the outer wall from field level. This would be comparable to the Terrace in Crosley or, more locally, Duffy's Cliff in Fenway.
                    Hi J,

I like your observations... Yet, the following is interesting to very few of us!

Studying my 1915 Braves Field photos posted prior, there appears to be an earthen slope supporting the wall at the cf/rf area. This is evident from the standing room only fans gradually rising up against the wall and the fans on top of the rising section of wall, levelling off again at the flagpole. There would be no sensible reason for the fans being there unless this was so... The original wall design also elevates here as it approaches Agganis Way from the lower railbeds.

Weird, But upon close inspection of the 1919 photo. The structure appears different, the top of the wall now "level" which may be due to that being a free-standing billboard; That large, white border object to the R of the flagpole is a cigarette ad. "50 for 10cents". The light-color elevated gate you refer to is a giant pack of cigarettes painted on the wall. Now, to the right of that large billboard, appears a light discoloration about halfway up. This is vexing to me., It appears to be calcium/lime leaching stains -where the 1915 photo may appear the earth is piled up against. At any rate, behind that retaining wall is a raised roadbed and my WAG is about twelve ft above field grade. Though likely not the original one, a retaining wall exists today, keeping Agganis Way from sliding down into old Braves Field. So what you may be seeing in the 1919 shot is remnants from when the park was new, ala Duffy's Cliff

That's my summation and I'm sticking to it, for the time being

Steve F
                    Boston
                    Last edited by fdnyladder7; 02-27-2012, 07:57 AM.

Comment

• fdnyladder7
                      Team Veteran
                      • Aug 2008

Original fan snaps,

Comment

• chip
                        • Nov 2007

I needed something easier than the Polo Grounds to work so I thought
                        I would give Braves Field a try.

Here it is so-far with the field in it’s final location…..

sigpic

Comment

• Paul W
                          • May 2008

good color footage of the braves and their field, ran on wgbh...

Last edited by Paul W; 04-09-2012, 09:00 PM.
                          the turd in the punchbowl
                          reality really sucks.
                          enjoy the game more...

Comment

• alpineinc
                            Behind the bag BSGD Mod
                            • Nov 2006

b004407c-8b14-4962-8857-fc1a573ff070_lg.jpeg
                            Larger size

c75fc2f7-b719-4b33-8c4d-ae86761f0261_lg.jpeg
                            Larger size

a6081228-2d00-429b-a19e-9ed777e280d0_lg.jpeg
                            Larger size

6ef0ff46-d10d-47e2-9970-28837645788f_lg.jpeg
                            Larger size

6ef9e688-39a9-4c6e-acab-cbd5dff9a58b_lg.jpeg
                            Larger size

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X