Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: 2007 Baseball World Cup

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeebiscuitfan View Post
    You may be right about the fact that your baseball needs fixing. But you seem to forget that the level of the other countries is improving. Like I always say to fellow Yankee fans; you can't win it all every year. You have to face that.

This US team was the strongest I have seen in years in WC tournaments.

That is right. We were accustomed to win every tournament against inferior teams except the USA until professional players arrived. Japan, for instance, has won only the WBC despite taking their top level players to the Olympics. Taipei, Korea, México, Australia, etc have not won anything. They may have finished among the top 3 in one tournament but that is all they have done. The USA has send teams with some ex MLB players and excellent prospects from AAA and AA. Cuba beat a similar USA team in Holland handily. They have won the Olympics in Sydney, the Pre-Olympic tournament in Havana and now. Cuba is always among the top three. Brazil not always wins in soccer. I am not saying Cuba is what Brazil is in soccer. Let’s not forget that the MLB based teams finished out of the top three places during the WBC. Many of these USA players will be playing in the big leagues next season. In fact, many already have played in the big leagues already. If the USA deports all foreign players back to their countries, all these USA players will be playing in the Majors long time ago.

USA manager Davey Johnson did a very good job in the final game unlike the Cuban manager Rey Anglada. He will be fired for sure. He managed the game scared.

Congratulation to the USA team!
    Last edited by Cubano100%; 11-20-2007 at 05:33 PM.

I agree that Cuba should bring the Selective Series (Serie Selectiva 8 teams) back or the Super League with 6 teams at least 60-70 games. The Super League used to have only 4 teams.

As for the youth movement, there is as much talent now as before. There are a significant number of good players under 25.

Quote Originally Posted by Cubano100% View Post
    That is right. We were accustomed to win every tournament against inferior teams except the USA until professional layers arrived. Japan, for instance, has won only the WBC despite taking their top level players to the Olympics. Taipei, Korea, México, Australia, etc have not won anything. They may have finished among the top 3 in one tournament but that is all they have done.
    Huh? South Korea won the 1982 World Cup, Australia won the 1999 Intercontinental Cup and Japan won the 1997 Intercontinental Cup. The 1997 Japan win was before professional players came into international tourneys.

Quote Originally Posted by Agente Libre View Post
    Do you know what the specific injury was? I heard he had very minor fatigue (shoulder?) but had thrown in the bullpen the whole time he was in Taiwan and had been ready for game action for several days.
    No, not really. I just read that he had an undisclosed injury.

I like Yadel Marti and believe he could immediately be a quality starter or long man in MLB.
    Like the rest of the Cuban pitchers (and players), I see Yadel spending some time in the Minors right now. At the next level I think he could be a serviceable long relief man out of the bullpen.

I just felt that it would have been smarter to throw a power lefty like Chapman vs. Team USA than a finesse righty like Marti, whom Team USA (or at least their staff) had seen multiple times in the past few years.
    I understand your point but we are quickly forgetting that Yadel was, alongside Lazo, the only Cuban pitcher who could succeed in the WBC. I think Anglada had too quick of a hook for him.

Well, Vladimir Banos threw 1 2/3 perfect innings and Elier Sanchez threw a perfect inning today. For that matter, Marti didn't exactly get hammered today; a string of singles and two Norberto Gonzalez bases-loaded walks are what killed his pitching line. The other guys in my proposed rotation, Aroldis Chapman and Arley Sanchez, are studs and threw extremely well in Taiwan.
    I don't think Baños pitched against anybody else but Germany and Thailand. From what I saw, I was not impressed with his stuff though. Elier Sanchez threw a perfect inning but I don't think you can predict anything with just a inning of relief against MLB prospects. He's good stuff though.
    Arley is an interesting guy. I think he actually has the best chance to succeed out of the 3 remaining (I'm taking out out Chapman and Elier, the latter based only in his 92 MPH fastball because he was quite dissapointing against the Canadian MILBers) because I saw him hitting a lot of spots through out the innings he pitched. I don't know why he wasn't the first pitcher out of the bullpen yesterday.
    I think Anglada was afraid to pitch Arley fearing the backslash from Cubans outside Havana since he's from Industriales and he had already used Marti, who's from Industriales as well (Anglada is Industriales' manager in the Cuban League)
    Last edited by cubaxpos; 11-19-2007 at 05:42 PM.

Unhappy Manager Anglada

Speaking of the supervisor of Cuba, tactics when Cuba is attacking etc. did not almost have a vanity lever.
    Why doesn't it show a posture more positive to steal base? Even if it does not actually do, a battery looks out only by showing a swinging practice more, and, occasionally agitation is also carried out.
    The directions put into practice like [ at the time of WBC ] were not in sight the back, either. Directions put into practice by the pitcher. it is for example, like thoroughness of the power swing to Matsuzaka, or the center return of as opposed to [ hit to the opposite field or ] Colon , Santana or Watanabe moreover
    There was no guarantee which a short-term decisive battle can always win, and, to be sure, the U.S. was strong. However, Supervisor Anglada was in sight of the Boss who there was not and is only merely looking on what should be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Mischa View Post
    Huh? South Korea won the 1982 World Cup, Australia won the 1999 Intercontinental Cup and Japan won the 1997 Intercontinental Cup. The 1997 Japan win was before professional players came into international tourneys.
    Compare those wins vs. all the Cuban wins or top three finishes after professional players arrive. It is unbelievable. If Cuba does not win, the world is falling. However, when the USA, D.R, P.R. Venezuela, Mexico do not win with MLB players or players coming to the Majors the following year, I do not see the same reaction. Let’s not mention Japan in here. Japan is considered the second Majors by many.

When you are the favorite, show it in the field. MLB was the favorite to win the WBC. The best MLB team could do was finish 4th. Hopefully, MLB based teams will finish one, two and three in the next WBC.

MLB should dominate like Cuba has done. Some of these wins have been against lesser competition, but Cuba won anyways. Hopefully, MLB will do the same for many years to come.

Cuba has finished in the top two in these tournaments. Beginning in 1998, professional players arrived. Now remember, in 1959 Castro took power and many cuban players in the USA(Majors and minors) did not go back to Cuba. Therefore, those early championships were legitimate too.

49| 2007 World Cup #37 (Chinese Taipei) – Silver Medal (8W-2L)

48| 2007 Pan American Games #15 (Río de Janeiro) – Gold Medal (4W-1L)

47| 2006 Intercontinental Cup #16 (Chinese Taipei) – Gold Medal (8W-1L)

46| 2006 MLB World Baseball Classic #1 (San Diego) – Silver Medal (5W-3L)

45| 2005 World Cup #36 (Netherlands) – Gold Medal (11W-0L)

44| 2004 Olympic Games #4 (Athens) – Gold Medal (8W-1L)

43| 2003 World Cup #35 (Havana) – Gold Medal (9W-0L)

42| 2003 Pan American Games #14 (Santo Domingo) – Gold Medal (5W-1L)

41| 2002 Intercontinental Cup #15 (Havana) – Gold Medal (10W-0L)

40| 2001 World Cup #34 (Chinese Taipei) – Gold Medal (9W-1L)

39| 2000 Olympic Games #3 (Sydney) – Silver Medal (7W-2)

38| 1999 Intercontinental Cup #14 (Sydney) – Silver Medal (6W-3)

37| 1999 Pan American Games #13 (Winnipeg, Canada) – Gold Medal (5W-2L)

36| 1998 World Cup #33 (Northern Italy) – Gold Medal (10W-0L)

(end of truly amateur events and beginning of the use of professional players)

35| 1997 Intercontinental Cup #13 (Barcelona, Spain) – Silver Medal (8W-1L)

34| 1996 Olympic Games #2 (Atlanta) – Gold Medal (9W-0L)

33| 1995 Intercontinental Cup #12 (Havana) – Gold Medal (9W-0L)

32| 1995 Pan American Games #12 (Argentina) – Gold Medal (9W-0L)

31| 1994 World Cup #32 (Nicaragua) – Gold Medal 10W-0L)

30| 1993 Intercontinental Cup #11 (Northern Italy) – Gold Medal (11W-0L)

29| 1992 Olympic Games #1 (Barcelona) – Gold Medal (9W-0L)

28| 1991 Intercontinental Cup #10 (Barcelona, Spain) – Gold Medal (10W-0L)

27| 1991 Pan American Games #11 (Havana) – Gold Medal (10W-0L)

26| 1990 World Cup #31 (Edmonton, Canada) – Gold Medal (10W-0L)

25| 1989 Intercontinental Cup #9 (San Juan, PR) – Gold Medal (8W-0L)

24| 1988 World Cup #30* (Northern Italy) – Gold Medal (13W-0L)

23| 1987 Intercontinental Cup #8 (Havana) – Gold Medal (13W-0L)

22| 1987 Pan American Games #10 (Indianapolis) – Gold Medal (8W-0L)

21| 1986 Amateur World Series #29 (Netherlands) – Gold Medal (10w-1L)

20| 1985 Intercontinental Cup #7 (Edmonton, Canada) – Gold Medal (8w-1L)

19| 1984 Amateur World Series #28 (Havana) – Gold Medal (11W-0L)

18| 1983 Intercontinental Cup #6 (Brussels) – Gold Medal (8W-2L)

17| 1983 Pan American Games #9 (Caracas) – Gold Medal (9W-0L)

16| 1981 Intercontinental Cup #5 (Edmonton, Canada) – Silver Medal (6W-3L)

15| 1980 Amateur World Series #26 (Tokyo) – Gold Medal (11W-0L)

14| 1979 Intercontinental Cup #4 (Havana) – Gold Medal (10W-0L)

13| 1979 Pan American Games #8 (San Juan, PR) – Gold Medal (8W-0L)

12| 1978 Amateur World Series #25 (Northern Italy) – Gold Medal (10W-0L)

11| 1976 Amateur World Series #24 (Colombia) – Gold Medal (10W-2L)

10| 1975 Pan American Games #7 (Mexico City) – Gold Medal (8W-0L)

9| 1973 Amateur World Series #21 (Havana) – Gold Medal (14W-0L)

8| 1972 Amateur World Series #20 (Nicaragua) – Gold medal (14W-1L)

7| 1971 Amateur World Series #19 (Havana) – Gold Medal (9W-0L)

6| 1971 Pan American Games #6 (Cali, Colombia) – Gold Medal (8W-0L)

5| 1970 Amateur World Series #18 (Colombia) – Gold Medal (12W-1L)

4| 1969 Amateur World Series #17 (Santo Domingo) – Gold Medal (10W-0L)

3| 1967 Pan American Games #5 (Winnipeg, Canada) – Silver Medal (8W-3L)

2| 1963 Pan American Games #4 (Brazil) – Gold Medal (7W-1L)

1| 1961 Amateur World Series #15 (Costa Rica) – Gold Medal (9W-0L)

The USA team won. They deserve all the credit. Let's write about them. A friend of mine told me that 18 of these players will be playing in the Majors in 2008. Tampa Bay is planing to move Iwamura to 2B to hand Evan Longoria the 3B.
    Last edited by Cubano100%; 11-19-2007 at 07:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by siromaniyon View Post
    Speaking of the supervisor of Cuba, tactics when Cuba is attacking etc. did not almost have a vanity lever.
    Why doesn't it show a posture more positive to steal base? Even if it does not actually do, a battery looks out only by showing a swinging practice more, and, occasionally agitation is also carried out.
    The directions put into practice like [ at the time of WBC ] were not in sight the back, either. Directions put into practice by the pitcher. it is for example, like thoroughness of the power swing to Matsuzaka, or the center return of as opposed to [ hit to the opposite field or ] Colon , Santana or Watanabe moreover
    There was no guarantee which a short-term decisive battle can always win, and, to be sure, the U.S. was strong. However, Supervisor Anglada was in sight of the Boss who there was not and is only merely looking on what should be done.
    Anglada should be fired. Cuba does not have a good manager. Anglada should be one of the worst team Cuba managers of all time. I can list at least six bad decisions he made in this game.

1) The long relievers for Cuba were Jonder Martinez and Arleys Sanchez though Norberto Gonzalez has filled that role too. He brought Gonzalez to relieve Yadel Marti and then brought Yuniesky Maya who was one the short relievers not only in here but during the last Cuban season for Pinar del Rio Green Sox to relieve Gonzalez.

2) Osmani Urrutia is hit by a pitch. Urrutia is tractor and he did not send a pinch runner for him. Nothing happened but if the next two batters would have connected hits or a double, Urrutia does not score from anywhere.

3) Twice Anglada let C Ariel Pestano hit when he could use a pinch hitter like Yosvany Peraza that could hit a HR.

4) Where was Pedro Lazo? Was he selling his uniforms? He pitched less than 3 innings during the whole tournament.

5) Anglada brought my guy from Camaguey who was injured to relieve. Elier Sanchez had to leave the game again after just one inning of work.

6) Anglada used Alfredo Despaigne, who is a cleanup hitter with Granma Sorrels, as our leadoff man after Giorvis Duvergel injured during the whole tournament.
    Last edited by Cubano100%; 11-19-2007 at 07:33 PM.

For the Yuliesky Gourriel detractors, he faces the same pitchers in Cuba like everybody else. The numbers are there. He was robbed by the American 3B and later doubled against the left field wall. Being the number three hitter adds more pressure than being number sixth.

Quote Originally Posted by hata View Post
    I don't remember exactly the quote, but when Seattle media interview Betancourt, the main cause for his defection is because he was left off the national team on an oversea competition, the reason is either he was too good to be a defector risk or Paret is blocking his path to the national team. so he saw no future of himself on the national team.
    Nobody could predict whether or not Yuniesky Betancourt would be Cuba's 2B now. That is just speculation.

Posted without comment:

"Cuban players sell baseball paraphernalia to raise cash"
    http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/144116.html

This guy is a good customer.
    http://www.bjarkman.com/newsletter.htm

Cubaxpos -- I respect your opinion of Cuban baseball but I believe you have an overly pessimistic or harsh view of Cuba's current talent level.

Arleys Sanchez, Elier Sanchez and Aroldis Chapman would be strong candidates for just about any MLB rotation in 2008, and guys like Banos, Marti, etc., would also be seen as strong MLB prospects by MLB teams.

The need for time in the minor leagues is just as much about timing as it is talent. Obviously, no Cuban player is going to defect in June and go straight to an MLB rotation in July. But if a top player defects in the fall or winter and is able to go to spring training (like Contreras), guys like Arleys and Elier and Aroldis could very likely go straight to MLB.

Look at how fast some U.S. college pitchers are reaching MLB. There's no reason a lot of Cuban pitchers -- Arleys, Elier, Aroldis, Montieth, Suarez, J.A. Garcia, Borroto, Banos, Marti, etc. -- couldn't do the same thing.

Again, this was just one loss; it's not the end of the world. The Yankees don't go 162-0; they lose plenty of games to the Royals and Rays. Cuba's young baseball talent is as good as ever; it's their pre-tournament player personnel decisions and coaching that's terrible.

5) Anglada brought my guy from Camaguey who was injured to relieve. Elier Sanchez had to leave the game again after just one inning of work.
    The box score I saw had Elier Sanchez as the last pitcher of the game for Cuba. Are you saying Sanchez was re-injured in this game and was forced to leave? According to the Cuban media, Sanchez was supposed to be healthy about a week before Anglada used him. In any event, I hope it's nothing serious.

Cubaxpos -- I respect your opinion of Cuban baseball but I believe you have an overly pessimistic or harsh view of Cuba's current talent level.
    Like I said, I think the talent is there but they have to develop as better baseball PLAYERS. I based my opinion after having played organized baseball in Cuba until my adolescence, watch our National Series over and over again, watch our National Team face QUALITY competition and watch Minor and Major League Baseball.

Arleys Sanchez, Elier Sanchez and Aroldis Chapman would be strong candidates for just about any MLB rotation in 2008, and guys like Banos, Marti, etc., would also be seen as strong MLB prospects by MLB teams.
    I think the closest guy to the Majors in that group is Chapman. In my opinion, based on their results against strong competition, they all have to go through various degrees of learning in the Minors. Remember their results in our National Series are somewhat skewed because of the stiffs they face. You have to take a look at their results against real and strong competition so you can see their mixed results in these situations. At least that's my view of it.

The need for time in the minor leagues is just as much about timing as it is talent. Obviously, no Cuban player is going to defect in June and go straight to an MLB rotation in July. But if a top player defects in the fall or winter and is able to go to spring training (like Contreras), guys like Arleys and Elier and Aroldis could very likely go straight to MLB.
    Well, I think that since they play in a league that can be define as a AA they have the advantage of playing minor league baseball for all of the years they played in the Cuban League. However, for pitchers the quality of hitting they face here is way higher than the one they face in Cuba in regular basis. For hitters is the same story, they are faced with superior pitching, for the most part, when they get here. I can name you a few examples but I'm sure you are well aware of them.

Look at how fast some U.S. college pitchers are reaching MLB. There's no reason a lot of Cuban pitchers -- Arleys, Elier, Aroldis, Montieth, Suarez, J.A. Garcia, Borroto, Banos, Marti, etc. -- couldn't do the same thing.
    Well, the last example of a starting pitcher who debuted in MLB the same year he was drafted I think is Andrew Miller with the Tigers, and that was after spending a couple of months pitching in MILB. He debuted in September of last year and he was less than impressive and hit with ease by MLB clubs if I am not mistaken For relievers is different since they don't have to face the lineup three or four times in a game, and even so is a very rare occurence for relievers to get drafted and spend less than four months in the minors. You mentioned starting pitchers.

Again, this was just one loss; it's not the end of the world. The Yankees don't go 162-0; they lose plenty of games to the Royals and Rays. Cuba's young baseball talent is as good as ever; it's their pre-tournament player personnel decisions and coaching that's terrible.
    Yes, I know it's not the end of the world, especially for the players who were selling their jerseys for 185 USD outside the hotel after the loss.
    The only thing I want to say is that our baseball, who was once a very good one, is on decay and yes, we have very good talent; but we are yet to find a way to develop it.

Quote Originally Posted by cubaxpos View Post
    I think the closest guy to the Majors in that group is Chapman. In my opinion, based on their results against strong competition, they all have to go through various degrees of learning in the Minors.
    Arleys Sanchez has had a sub-3.00 ERA for two years in a row, throws about five different pitches for strikes and allows something like one home run every FIFTY innings. What does he need to learn in the minors?

Elier Sanchez is a little tougher case because he's younger and his track record isn't as established, but I can't envision him spending more than about 5-10 starts in the minors unless he signed with a team like the Yankees or Red Sox.

Even Banos and Marti could likely make the starting rotations of about 15 teams next year. Think about it: CARLOS SILVA and KYLE LOHSE and a 30-something pitcher from Japan who is barely over .500 for his career (Kuroda) are the most in-demand free agent starting pitchers right now. If you were the GM of the Cuban Baseball Federation, would you trade Arleys, Elier, Aroldis, Banos, Marti, Deinys Suarez, Frank Montieth or Luis Borroto for Silva or Lohse or Kuroda? No way.

Remember their results in our National Series are somewhat skewed because of the stiffs they face. You have to take a look at their results against real and strong competition so you can see their mixed results in these situations. At least that's my view of it.
    That's kind of a false argument. Everyone in Cuba plays against everyone else, so the stats are the stats. Obviously, there are 4-5 teams that are really bad and provide easy competition, but the same is true in Japan, where American stiffs like Alex Cabrera and Seith Greisinger end up as superstars. (And keep in mind, in Cuba very often the best pitchers don't even face the weak teams at all since Cuba's schedule is entirely 3-game series and teams often juggle their rotations to save their best pitchers for a stronger opponent.) Anyway, it's not like Arleys or Chapman are 6-0 with a 0.79 ERA against Metro and Las Tunas and 0-4 with a 6.50 ERA against Santiago and Villa Clara.

Well, the last example of a starting pitcher who debuted in MLB the same year he was drafted I think is Andrew Miller with the Tigers, and that was after spending a couple of months pitching in MILB. He debuted in September of last year and he was less than impressive and hit with ease by MLB clubs if I am not mistaken For relievers is different since they don't have to face the lineup three or four times in a game, and even so is a very rare occurence for relievers to get drafted and spend less than four months in the minors. You mentioned starting pitchers.
    I didn't say it was common but it's happening more and more, and it's especially true for foreign pitchers who have higher-level experience. When even mediocre Japanese guys are considered big-time MLB prospects, that tells me that guys like Arleys and Elier and Chapman, etc., etc., could come over and have big success, assuming they don't get stuck in some Third World country for 2 years.

The only thing I want to say is that our baseball, who was once a very good one, is on decay and yes, we have very good talent; but we are yet to find a way to develop it.
    But again, that conclusion is an overreaction based on a 6-3 loss in one game. If you took the absolute best 25 Cuban players and put them on a team, they would not only be an international favorite, they could compete in just about any MLB division.
    Last edited by Agente Libre; 11-20-2007 at 04:54 PM.

The box score I saw had Elier Sanchez as the last pitcher of the game for Cuba. Are you saying Sanchez was re-injured in this game and was forced to leave? According to the Cuban media, Sanchez was supposed to be healthy about a week before Anglada used him. In any event, I hope it's nothing serious.

Yes, Sir. If Elier Sanchez is never the same we can thank Mr. Anglada for such barbaric move.

Yes, Sir. If Elier Sanchez is never the same we can thank Mr. Anglada for such barbaric move.
    It could be worse...Sanchez could be with the Yankees where Girardi'll blow out his arm...
    Man, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

Perhaps, but wasn't Sanchez supposed to be healthy? According to every Cuban media account I had read during the World Cup, Sanchez had some minor fatigue or soreness when he first arrived in Taiwan but had been cleared to pitch about a week before Anglada finally used him.

To me, it wasn't necessarily dumb or dangerous for Anglada to have used Sanchez but it was dumb/dangerous to use a starting pitcher as a reliever in his first appearance after an injury, unless the appearance had been scheduled/planned in advance and wasn't a sudden "we need a lefty -- get Elier Sanchez throwing!" type of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by hata View Post
    ah come on, that is the last game of first round? when Cuba had already secure first place of their group, and Dutch was fighting for a must win in order to go to the second round.

while Cuba does not play any less hard, Cuba certainly did not have their best player/pitcher on the field, it is such a non consequence game that I totally block it out of my mind, no one, not even Dutch supporter, will declare the Dutch had catch up with Cuba on baseball with this win. and if I am Cuba's coach, I will do the same thing, save your pitcher for the knock out round instead of going all out for a meaningless perfect record.
    Well...maybe. But remember that the dutch win wasn't incidental.
    They were the first to beat the cubans at the olympics and during the last intercontinentalcup the dutch took the cubans to 11 innings..

I still think that the cuban will win 8 out of 10 ...but that was 10 out of 10 before...

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by brewcrew82 View Post
    Final score: USA 6 def Cuba 3

Final standings:
    1st- USA
    2nd- Cuba
    3rd- Japan
    4th- Holland
    5th- South Korea
    6th- Australia
    7th- Mexico
    8th- Chinese Taipei
    A very disappointing result for Australia after showing so much form in the early round. Losing to an under strength Japan was bad enough, but then losing the position game to Sth Korea was sad! More work needed!!
    "A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz." ~Humphrey Bogart

No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference. ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by DownUnderDodger View Post
    A very disappointing result for Australia after showing so much form in the early round. Losing to an under strength Japan was bad enough, but then losing the position game to Sth Korea was sad! More work needed!!
    Is it too late to get David Nilsson and John Stephens out of retirement?

I will say this. I am very inmpressed with Brad Harman. I saw a lot of him this past season @ Clearwater and am glad to see the Phillies just added him to their 40 man roster.
    Man, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast