Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2007 Baseball World Cup

http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/news_story/?ID=222573&hubname=mlb

This is the first time I've ever seen the World Cup get mentioned by TSN and my local Winnipeg Sun newspaper. Glad to see it's getting alittle more coverage.

Just perusing the scores from the World Cup and am wondering can anyone see a point in having Thailand in the competition? I know they were there to replace China who pulled out but surely there is a more fitting replacement.
    Look at the results thus far:

7th- Lost 16-0 to The Netherlands
    8th- Lost 18-0 to Canada
    9th- Lost 18-2 to Korea
    10th- Lost 26-1 to Australia
    RIP - HGF [1937-2009]

Thailand is lucky that they have this tournament in preparation for the Southeast Asian Games but nonetheless I agree that a more formidable opponent would be a better replacement for China.
    Philippine Baseball Blog

http://pinoybasebol.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
    http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/news_story/?ID=222573&hubname=mlb

This is the first time I've ever seen the World Cup get mentioned by TSN and my local Winnipeg Sun newspaper. Glad to see it's getting alittle more coverage.
    That's more than the local papers give it.

Doesn't matter that two Devil Rays are on the USA team. Typical coverage is about in inch or so near the bottom of the page by the massage parlor/strip club ads...
    Man, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BolaNgBasebol View Post
    Thailand is lucky that they have this tournament in preparation for the Southeast Asian Games but nonetheless I agree that a more formidable opponent would be a better replacement for China.
    I think it's who finished where in regional tournaments. An example is the Pan Am Games. Canada qualified but did not go, so the Dominican Republic, who had finished last in the Olympic Qualifier "moved up" and went to Rio instead.

Thailand finished 5th in the Asian Games, I think this was the basis for their inclusion because China placed 4th in that event.

I guess the World Cup has four slots to put on for the Asian Games and the rest of the other continents.
    Philippine Baseball Blog

Blog Entries
    I just found the internet broadcasts on this thread, thanks... now I'm going to be up till 3 in the morning watching baseball when I should be getting sleep before work tomorrow,....

In all seriousness, this is amazing, it looks like every game is archived to watch on demand. Live baseball in November is a beautiful thing.
    Last edited by TheoBallgame; 11-10-2007 at 11:12 PM.

The Dutch

Anyone got the result of The Netherlands against Canada?

There is no final to the Dutch game as of yet. The only results thus far today are:

Italy defeated South Africa 8-0
    Australia defeated South Korea 2-1

Why Baseball is so great!!!

I'm a big fan of international Baseball. I've been following the internationalization of MLB for the last 5 years or so and following Baseball leagues from around the world. During my countless searches for Baseball information from other countries I've come across some nay sayers about Baseball. Its too slow, too long you know the same spill you get even from some Americans not to mention people from across the globe who don't know or understand Baseball. Well today watching the game between Mexico and China Taipei was the epidamy of why I love this game sooo much.

Mexico was up 5 runs in the bottom of the 9th with TWO outs. A solo shot by one of the Chinese players makes it 9-5. No big deal right! Well two singles and a walk latter bases are loaded with the Chinese number 5 batter up to bat. This guy had hit a homerun earlier in the Game. The count goes to 3-2 before the Mexican pitcher strikes him out on a curve ball. Mexico wins and stays alive in the tournament! What a game! Best sport in the World IMO!!!

in the standings the Netherlands got their second loss counted, I sure hope that's not true, but I guess there's no reason why not.

I just saw on mister-baseball.com that the Dutch lost 7-1 to Canada.

Grupo A

1) USA 4-1
    2) Italia 3-1
    3) Taipei 3-1
    4) Japon 3-2
    5) Panama 3-2
    6) Mexico 2-3
    7) Espaņa 1-4
    8) Sud Africa 0-5

* Italia vs. Taipei will play on Monday. Italy is in good position to advance, but I think they have to play some tough teams from now on.

Grupo B

1) Cuba 5-0
    2) Australia 4-1
    3) Corea 3-2
    4) Holanda 3-2
    5) Canada 3-2
    6) Venezuela 1-4
    7) Alemania 1-4
    8) Tailandia 0-5

The Dutch team has two tough games remaining. On Tuesday, they play Korea and on Wednesday they play against Cuba. The Koreans have to play Germany. Canada plays Venezuela and Australia. I am missing some games for these teams.

Cuba won by the mercy rule 10x0 in 7 innings. RHP Yadel Marti was one out away from pitching a perfect game, but Venezuela got a hit. Marti pitched against the Dominican Republic team in the WBC in the semis before being relieved by Pedro Luis lazo.

Cuba is without leadoff hitter CF Giorvis Duvergel. He is out for the rest of the Cup with an ankle injury. Cuba lost second place hitter 2B Hector Olivera with an arm injury. He may return for the next round.

Duvergel plays for the Guantanamo Indians and Hector Olivera plays for the champion Santiago de Cuba Wasps. Olivera is the son of Hector Olivera Sr who was a very good hitter in post 1959 era. Olivera is in his early 20's and replaced Alexei Ramirez at 2B after Ramirez went to the Dominican R. with his Dominican wife.
    Last edited by Cubano100%; 11-11-2007 at 04:29 PM.

Yankeebiscuitfan Guest
    Darn Canadians!!! They always ruin my day.

Sorry Troy, nothing personal.

Heebthong Krissada(Ace of Team Thailand)

Quote Originally Posted by BolaNgBasebol View Post
    Krissada ,being one of the top-level pitcher in Japanese university baseball,is a
    student of Asia University.
    I heard he has Japanese Father and Thail mother.

I watched his pitching at THAI vs NED(opening pitcher)

Quote Originally Posted by siromaniyon View Post
    Krissada ,being one of the top-level pitcher in Japanese university baseball,is a
    student of Asia University.
    I heard he has Japanese Father and Thail mother.

I watched his pitching at THAI vs NED(opening pitcher)
    I have lots of positive news about him, I think he did a nice outing in the collegiate ranks in Japan some months back from a IBAF newsletter that I read.

I can see him pitch against us in the gold medal game come the SEA Games, again this tournament is a big exposure for him and his team.
    Philippine Baseball Blog

Unhappy

As for Giorvis Duvergel,he looked serious.
    near the base,he was brought out by two coaches because he couldn't walk at all.

Chinese Taipei defeat Italy (1:0)

Thumbs up Great Game - China Taipei - Italy

I saw the game on VOD without knowing the final score. Great pitching duel! I really think Italy got rob in the 9th inning on a bad call from the third base umpire. Doesn't mean that they would have won though, but it would have put more pressure on that already tired Taiwanese pitcher. Great game anyways! Great World Cup of Baseball!

Australia's only loss so far was a 2-3 game against Cuba so our guys are doing well so far. It is interesting to note that venezuela are only 1-4 so far? That must be disappointing for them. It is obvious Cuba will be top of this division, and I presume USA will head group A after preliminary rounds. Mexico need to improve to go further from that group.
    "A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz." ~Humphrey Bogart

No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference. ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by DownUnderDodger View Post
    Australia's only loss so far was a 2-3 game against Cuba so our guys are doing well so far. It is interesting to note that venezuela are only 1-4 so far? That must be disappointing for them. It is obvious Cuba will be top of this division, and I presume USA will head group A after preliminary rounds. Mexico need to improve to go further from that group.
    The 2004 Olympics showed everybody how far you guys have progressed. Granted the USA wasn't there, but still...

I always say this about about any competition. It isn't who will win but who will finish second behind Cuba

Quote Originally Posted by ROC~~ View Post
    Chinese Taipei defeat Italy (1:0)
    Even if Italy lost due to two bad calls by referees i'm proud about our game,Italy can advance,now we are going to play vs Japan and Mexico,we need a win.

Quote Originally Posted by SDL View Post
    The 2004 Olympics showed everybody how far you guys have progressed. Granted the USA wasn't there, but still...
    Ummmm.......USA weren't there because they failed to qualify - I believe that Mexico eliminated them in the qualifiers. Not taking the Olympics seriously did not help their cause.
    And Australia did win the 2003 Intercontinental Cup, beating Cuba, so we do have some credentials.
    "A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz." ~Humphrey Bogart

No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference. ~Tommy Lasorda

Mexico -vs- Italy a game for pride

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Piazza View Post
    Even if Italy lost due to two bad calls by referees i'm proud about our game,Italy can advance,now we are going to play vs Japan and Mexico,we need a win.

Well my friend, I guess the game against Mexico does nothing for either squad. Both teams hold the tie-breaker against teams that are too high in the standings to catch up. Italy the USA and Mexico the Chinese Taipai. I guess its for pride then between both clubs. See who finishes 5 in Pool A. Good luck!

Damn now those questionable umpire calls really did us both in!!!

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast