Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Cleveland Municipal Stadium

I was digging through the photo albums for some of these. This first one is a game from August of 1993 (the baby is my now 15 1/2 year old), the last ones are the day (2/28/96) a sympathetic security guard let my 2 (at the time) sons into the stadium for a last walkaround. Please excuse the poor quality, they are photos of our prints taken in the backyard.
    Attached Images Attached Images

...and a few more
    Attached Images Attached Images

Man, I hope you made him replace his divot back there...

Those are amazing photos of your kids with the run of the place! Can't see that happening today. Thanks for uploading.

More from '96 from lake2112 on flickr.

Even though it was oversized and outdated, I still liked this old park. In some of the pics above, you can see some resemblance to the old Yankee Stadium (just without the charm). I liked the ballpark architecture of that era.

Here's an 80's shot

Look at the horrid condition of the outfield in this one

Quote Originally Posted by alpineinc View Post
    Those are amazing photos of your kids with the run of the place! Can't see that happening today. Thanks for uploading.
    There was a time when we all weren't viewed as suspects, huh. Actually, Cleveland Stadium was pretty easy to get into in the 80s. In high school, we used to go down there and play whiffle ball on the field when the Indians were out of town. The security office was located by the Browns' offices next to Gate B (now known as the Corporate Sponser.com Gate at CBS). The one guy who usually let us in thought is was hilarious that we thought playing whiffle ball on a big league field was so friggin' cool. On the times when he couldn't let us in, he'd be all apologetic and say things like "I can't do it today, guys, but next Thusday at around 6:30, things might be different if you know what I mean...." We got busted once and given a big speech about tresspassing, but ended up on a long conversation about the history of Cleveland Stadium with the guy who busted us and ended up shaking hands and walking out with the guy as opposed to being given the boot. The pictures on that day came with two conditions: stay out of the upper deck and don't even think about walking out of here with any "souveniers." You'll notice a seat back on the ground in one of those photos...it was tempting, but I figured the guy was cool enough to let us in and I would be a d-bag to show him a lack of respect. The damage you see in those photos was from the near riot at the last Browns home game in 1995.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Mendoza...HOF Lock View Post
    Even though it was oversized and outdated, I still liked this old park. In some of the pics above, you can see some resemblance to the old Yankee Stadium (just without the charm). I liked the ballpark architecture of that era.

Here's an 80's shot

Look at the horrid condition of the outfield in this one
    the first pic is from '93, not the '80's. Blue Jays at Cleveland. Baerga batting, Olerud at first.

Demolition photos from bmpowell on flickr.

Cool old postcard:

Sporting News, 1937. Two parks for the price of one.

As for Municipal Stadium, $2 million to build it, $1 million more to get the people there!

1946 Sporting News, from Gene Mack of the Boston Globe.

Program for first ever Indians game at Municipal Stadium, 7/31/32.

Blog Entries
    im making cleveland municipal stadium on google sketchup heres the photo of it.

It brings to mind the prerenovated Yankee Stadium.

But it also gives an idea of what old YS would have looked like around the same time, if it hadn't been renovated. What a dump, although from all accounts, old YS was in even worse shape.

Cleveland Stadium was built by the same firm that built YS.

Nobody was sad to see it go.

Quote Originally Posted by DaBigMotor View Post
    It brings to mind the prerenovated Yankee Stadium.

But it also gives an idea of what old YS would have looked like around the same time, if it hadn't been renovated. What a dump, although from all accounts, old YS was in even worse shape.
    Yeah, your right. Although many hated how the rennovations on YS came out, they were a nessecety. Just compare Cleveland Stadium ca. 1993 to Yankee Stadium ca. 2008.

Construction, 1931.

Football

Did any of you attend football games at the Stadium? It seems like there wouldn't have been a good seat in the house for football. The seats on the 50 yard line are so far from the field! The only seats close to the field would have been in the corners and end zones. Or did they bring in some temporary seats along the sidelines?

You are correct mn...

The football field was very far from the stands unless you were in the open end zone (the old dog pound), or the enclosed section (near the backstop of baseball's home plate).

Watching in the lower deck was tough because you weren't as high up and the sightlines were tough. The upper deck was fine but you were so high up the players looked like ants. The games I saw were in the pound or lower deck near the end zones. If you were in the lower deck by an end zone, between the low sight lines and all the players on the field, you couldn't see the other side of the 50 yard line.

I don't recall them ever bringing in any additional seating.

Quote Originally Posted by alpineinc View Post
    Construction, 1931.

Wait a second.. Rt. 2 was a rail road?

"...So the winning run is on second base, with two outs, three and two to Mookie Wilson.

Little roller up along first; BEHIND THE BAG! It gets through Buckner!

Here comes Knight and the Mets win it!"

- Vin Scully, Announcer

Quote Originally Posted by RoastedPeanut View Post
    Wait a second.. Rt. 2 was a rail road?
    Those track are still there.

Rt 2 runs parallel to the railroad tracks.

We put up a 21 page full screen gallery of the ballpark on www.digitalballparks.com with photographs from a guy named Robert K. Shoop.

He did an excellent job of capturing this ballpark during a game from every angle along with several other older ballparks like Memorial Stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalballparks View Post
    We put up a 21 page full screen gallery of the ballpark on www.digitalballparks.com with photographs from a guy named Robert K. Shoop.

He did an excellent job of capturing this ballpark during a game from every angle along with several other older ballparks like Memorial Stadium.
    I can't find the link. Can you give a direct link?

Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast