Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: County Stadium (Milwaukee)

Blog Entries
    Here's a few that I found:

In this one, the dirt area in the bottom-right corner is where Miller Park would be built--http://www.ballparks.com/baseball/national/county02.jpg

County Stadium Demolition Photos-- http://www.millerparkscrapbook.org/p...demolition.htm

County Stadium (Left) and Miller Park (Right)--http://www2.jsonline.com/sports/brew...ge/sky0113.jpg

County Stadium during/afer demolition--http://www2.jsonline.com/sports/brew...ystadium22.jpg

The Final Game--http://www2.jsonline.com/sports/brew...allery0928.asp
    Join Pigskin Fever Today and tell 'em packersfan reffered you when you register!

Please read the Baseball Fever Policy and Fourm FAQ before posting.

Can anybody here post photos of the models of the retractable roof proposals?

The radial roof eventually used in Miller Park was one of at least three proposals that were published. One firm (HOK?) proposed a linear design similar to Safeco Field (but with the roof panels stored in straight-away center-field), and the other design used steel cables to support a retractable roof similar in design to the roof at Lucas Oil Stadium. I'm not a huge fan of the Miller Park's problematic roof, but it probably was the best proposal in front of the Brewers at the time.

Anyhow, I think I once saw the model photos in "Down In The Valley," but I haven't been able to find them anywhere online.
    Last edited by pudgie_child; 07-30-2008 at 01:00 AM.

Here are a couple photos of the various proposals.

First, the original plan:
    Attached Images Attached Images

These plans were scanned from newspaper accounts at the time. There were a couple models made, of different roof configurations.

First, an arched roof:

A tent roof:

And finally, the preliminary version of the design the team elected to develop - a fan roof:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by six4three View Post

I like that one.
    Join Pigskin Fever Today and tell 'em packersfan reffered you when you register!

Please read the Baseball Fever Policy and Fourm FAQ before posting.

And finally, the preliminary version of the design the team elected to develop - a fan roof:
    I find that one to be more interesting than the one they ended up with.

Thanks a lot for posting those images. The photos of the models were reproduced in the book about County Stadium, but the graphics from the JS are new to me.

Testing an automatic tarp machine (I assume it didn't go well)

Eddie Matthews -Last Braves Game in Milwaukee 1965

1994. From Massmoga-Flickr

Miller Park groundbreaking. Reporter sits at future site of home plate. From Senator Dingdong-Flickr.

DiggerODell Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mario Mendoza...HOF Lock View Post

Testing an automatic tarp machine (I assume it didn't go well)

Eddie Matthews -Last Braves Game in Milwaukee 1965

1994. From Massmoga-Flickr

Miller Park groundbreaking. Reporter sits at future site of home plate. From Senator Dingdong-Flickr.
    You are absoulute killer! I go site to site and you thrill!

DiggerODell Guest
    Sorry to post all those pics again on reply . .. you know us out west . . . we screw the bulb in differently. Plus, we stay up later.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelt View Post
    I find that one to be more interesting than the one they ended up with.
    There was an intermediate design of the fan-shaped roof with moving panels that slid on concentric tracks as opposed to the final design where the moving panels pivot behind home plate. The outfield "windows" in this design opened up like the ones at Chase Field. I saw a photo of the Brewers' model of this never-used design in the L.A. Times (prior to groundbreaking) and computer animation of this design on a newscast in Madison.

This design probably would have been superior to the current design for two reasons:

1. It would have allowed for more daylight into the ballpark when the roof was open.
    2. It would have likely been more "air tight" than the current design since the roof panels would have been concentric; in the final design, the roof panels are not concentric since they each have different pivots.
    Last edited by pudgie_child; 07-31-2008 at 07:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by brewers96 View Post

I like that one.
    So do I.

It was unveiled in 1992, but by the time a public referendum was planned in 1994 the club decided they needed a retractable roof.

Speaking of proposals for the Brewers ballpark, this proposal for a ballpark on Water Street (after demolition of the Park East Freeway), ultimately, would have served the Brewers best. Even the current Brewers owner (who has been a far superior owner than the Selig family) has acknowledged that the new stadium should have been built downtown. I'm not a fan of Phillip Bess' insistence on obstructed seating, but it's otherwise a great design.

"Downtown Milwaukee Ballpark"

Quote Originally Posted by pudgie_child View Post
    Speaking of proposals for the Brewers ballpark, this proposal for a ballpark on Water Street (after demolition of the Park East Freeway), ultimately, would have served the Brewers best. Even the current Brewers owner (who has been a far superior owner than the Selig family) has acknowledged that the new stadium should have been built downtown. I'm not a fan of Phillip Bess' insistence on obstructed seating, but it's otherwise a great design.

"Downtown Milwaukee Ballpark"
    It's a shame that was never built.

Wow. The ChiSox, Cincy and Milwaukee all missed out on better ballparks than what they ended up with.

Oh, man. That breaks my heart.

I've never seen those plans - thanks! That's exactly what they should have done.

I've long thought that it should go on the west side of the river, exactly opposite where they proposed it - orient the field to the southeast, and you'd have great views of downtown across the river. It could have been incorporated into Riverwalk with some sort of pavillion/beer garden.

Google Map

Oh, what might have been....

Here are some photos of Milwaukee County Stadium from the book "Down In The Valley Milwaukee County Stadium" that I don't think were posted here or on the internet yet.

Here are some more photos of Milwaukee County Stadium from the book "Down In The Valley Milwaukee County Stadium" that I don't think were posted here or on the internet yet.

Here are some more photos of Milwaukee County Stadium from the book "Down In The Valley Milwaukee County Stadium" that I don't think were posted here or on the internet yet.

Thanks for the pics, but can you make them smaller?

Some Photos I just found of County Stadium's Concourse
    Last edited by Milwaukee County Stadium; 05-23-2009 at 02:08 PM.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast