Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum / McAfee C / Network Associates C / UMAX C

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy114 View Post
    Next question was the SF set up easy to do or would the removable seats have been easier? I have heard now the SF seats are rusted so bad you couldn't fold them back up for baseball if you wanted.
    not enough depth between of fences and the superstructure.
    yep, 'stick folders another one of those "better on the drawing board than in reality" situations.
    the turd in the punchbowl
    reality really sucks.
    enjoy the game more...

Quote Originally Posted by Paul W View Post
    not enough depth between of fences and the superstructure.
    yep, 'stick folders another one of those "better on the drawing board than in reality" situations.
    Since the football stadium is almost built, could they just cut out the seats when the 49ers are done and play one charity baseball for the people like us?
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Since the football stadium is almost built, could they just cut out the seats when the 49ers are done and play one charity baseball for the people like us?
    unfortunately, sentiment doesn't pay the bill
    reality really sucks.
    enjoy the game more...

unfortunately, sentiment doesn't pay the bill
    What bill? Cutting seats out? I bet someone would volunteer to do it.
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

What bill? Cutting seats out? I bet someone would volunteer to do it.
    You know volunteer construction/controlled demolition crews? Can they build an extention on my house? I'll let their favorite baseball team take their team photo there!

Candlestick will come down in one big, baseball/football heap. And we will all survive without it.

I doubt it. AT&T Park is just too nice.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

as always, it comes down to the $$$'s - neither the city or gi-ants would pay for it - not enough return for the expense.
    reality really sucks.
    enjoy the game more...

Crap, just hoping like the dodgers did, but I guess life will go on.

LOL, without the moustache/beard, he looks like a teenager (instead of the 23 year old that he was in 1969). Thanks for the pic of my all-time favorite player

In case you guys didn't see it, Bud's response to the A's new stadium situation:

http://nbcbayarea.csnbayarea.com/11/...blockID=802345

Were the original seats the same color as the seats seen today?

Anyone know when the rainbow color seats were installed? 1970s I assume.

Quote Originally Posted by RfkFedEx View Post
    Were the original seats the same color as the seats seen today?

Anyone know when the rainbow color seats were installed? 1970s I assume.
    The original Coliseum seats were all dark green, as today. After the Haas family bought the A's from Finley in the late 70's, they installed some orange seats. Not sure just when or exactly where

Assuming that Mt. Davis could and would be demolished and the outfield returned to a true baseball layout, then work could be started to reduce the amount of foul territory by redesigning the field level seating bowl to reflect the field level seats of old "cookie cutter" stadiums...like what was done at old Busch Stadium before the Cardinals moved to their new digs. The illustration below details what that lower level seating structure could look like with a new design.Slide1.JPG

Bruce Genther

Quote Originally Posted by gooberkitty View Post
    Assuming that Mt. Davis could and would be demolished and the outfield returned to a true baseball layout, then work could be started to reduce the amount of foul territory by redesigning the field level seating bowl to reflect the field level seats of old "cookie cutter" stadiums...like what was done at old Busch Stadium before the Cardinals moved to their new digs. The illustration below details what that lower level seating structure could look like with a new design.
    you are assuming that the raiders aren't there anymore?
    raiders would have something to say about this, they have not made any effort to become a 9'ers tenant.
    the cost of demolishing mt. davis to revive "cheap tix" makes no business sense.
    you are also assuming that there's enough height at the back of the new stands for adequate rake angle so that
    customers aren't looking at the back of the head in front of them.
    besides, the a'z don't want to be there "baseball feel" or not.
    reality really sucks.
    enjoy the game more...

Quote Originally Posted by gooberkitty View Post
    Assuming that Mt. Davis could and would be demolished and the outfield returned to a true baseball layout, then work could be started to reduce the amount of foul territory by redesigning the field level seating bowl to reflect the field level seats of old "cookie cutter" stadiums...like what was done at old Busch Stadium before the Cardinals moved to their new digs. The illustration below details what that lower level seating structure could look like with a new design.Slide1.JPG

Bruce Genther
    Unfortunately, at best that would make the place look like Shea Stadium.

you are assuming that the raiders aren't there anymore?
    raiders would have something to say about this, they have not made any effort to become a 9'ers tenant.
    Farmers Field. They'll be the Los Angeles Raiders again. I predict that.

And then the A's can simply demolish the Coliseum and build a new ballpark on that same site. Gets rid of the San Jose problem, yes?
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. Laser beam View Post
    farmers field. They'll be the los angeles raiders again. I predict that.

and then the a's can simply demolish the coliseum and build a new ballpark on that same site. Gets rid of the san jose problem, yes?
    the a'z don't want to stay in oak., if they did why are they expending so much effort to leave???
    Sj isn't the problem, to wolf & co. the gi-ants are.

Nfl will only allow a expansion franchise in la, that way all other owners collect league entry $$$'s
    a franchise move will open the league to litigation from any city that loses a franchise, the other owners won't see an additional dime and they lose a franchise in a top 10 tv market.

if nfl allowed a franchise to move from a smaller market to la, the leverage they have to get what they want
    in smaller markets is gone because the big prize is occupied.

Professional sports leagues are businesses, not run on sentiment.
    Last edited by Paul W; 12-02-2012 at 11:09 AM.
    reality really sucks.
    enjoy the game more...

Nfl will only allow a expansion franchise in la, that way all other owners collect league entry $$$'s
    a franchise move will open the league to litigation from any city that loses a franchise, the other owners won't see an additional dime and they lose a franchise in a top 10 tv market.

if nfl allowed a franchise to move from a smaller market to la, the leverage they have to get what they want
    in smaller markets is gone because the big prize is occupied.

Professional sports leagues are businesses, not run on sentiment.
    Actually, if you add in "relocation fees" and having one fewer team to divide TV revenues with, it may be a better financial deal for the NFL owners to allow an existing franchise to move to LA.

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Ballpark View Post
    Actually, if you add in "relocation fees" and having one fewer team to divide TV revenues with, it may be a better financial deal for the NFL owners to allow an existing franchise to move to LA.
    "relocation fees"? to whom? there's no existing franchise in the l.a. market to indemnify for invading their market and
    when have existing franchises payed these "fees" (to the league?) to be able to move?
    the nfl would also have to deal with litigation from wherever the franchise is and that will be costly and bad p.r. because it'll be at least one year or more before a move that a public announcement would have to be made to deal with scheduling and nfl properties (merchandising) issues.
    as far as tv money, either the league and their media business partners would restructure the contracts for another outlet (especially l.a.) because none of the other franchises will tolerate an income loss or the new franchise would start at the beginning of the next new tv deal.
    nfl wants 2 franchises in norcal and the raiders haven't made any effort to relocate to l.a..
    nfl does want l.a. but it will be on terms dictated by the league office.
    Last edited by Paul W; 12-02-2012 at 07:28 PM.
    reality really sucks.
    enjoy the game more...

"relocation fees"? to whom? there's no existing franchise in the l.a. market to indemnify for invading their market and
    when have existing franchises payed these "fees" (to the league?) to be able to move?
    the nfl would also have to deal with litigation from wherever the franchise is and that will be costly and bad p.r. because it'll be at least one year or more before a move that a public announcement would have to be made to deal with scheduling and nfl properties (merchandising) issues.
    as far as tv money, either the league and their media business partners would restructure the contracts for another outlet (especially l.a.) because none of the other franchises will tolerate an income loss or the new franchise would start at the beginning of the next new tv deal.
    nfl wants 2 franchises in norcal and the raiders haven't made any effort to relocate to l.a..
    nfl does want l.a. but it will be on terms dictated by the league office.
    The NFL, ,NBA and NHL began charging "relocation fees" in the early 90's. They are above and beyond any indemnification fees to an existing franchise that is "affected" by the move. They go to the league offices and are distributed to the individual teams.

Media speculation is that the NFL will seek $285 million as a "relocation fee" for an existing franchise to move to LA.
    http://www.footballphds.com/2011/12/...t-275-million/

Of course that's much less than what an expansion fee would be, but again it's one less mouth at the trough of league revenue sharing for perpetuity.

Not that it matters because he is dead, but Al Davis was on that ESPN film "Staright outta LA" and he pretty much said if any other cities want to build me a new stadium they know where I am they can get a hold me. So I think it was an implied "want to move" for Al. I honestly think he wanted LA first Oakland second and everyone else to help him put pressure on 1 and 2 to get him a new state of the art stadium faster.

I also thougth the NFL was happy with its numbers, but feel free to catch up me on that notion if I'm wrong.

didn't know much about previous relocation fees and did some reading, in this case “speculation” is the key word, since there’s never been a transfer of this magnitude happening before.

adding another franchise would not result in decreased income for the other franchises,
    never has and never will with the NFL - especially by re-entering the 2nd largest tv market.
    expansion franchise(s) will enrich the other owners 2 ways - with entry fees and additional tv revenue. as opposed to smaller relocation fees and possible costly litigation from the departing location.
    If there was a move the substantial increase of income for the broadcast partners would
    create several ways that relocation fees may not be necessary this time and the other hand additional “mouth” will feed all the other franchises either by entry fees and/or additional tv revenue generated by being in the #2 media market.

a stumbling block to expansion would be if there’s only one new franchise that would result in an odd-number of teams that can result in scheduling problems. nfl may want to tie European franchise(s) into this for “balance” but they may find some of the same (or more) problems that mlb did with the montreal location – mainly customs, scheduling, travel logistics and different tax laws.
    although if they did, adding skytv or another broadcast partner in europe as a new revenue stream can offset relocation fees.

more likely suspects for relocation are s.d. and jax, the former wanting a new mallpark and the latter with lingering tix sales deficiencies. they are in the 28th and 47th ranked tv markets which are smaller than the bay area at #6, the nfl can also use the promise of future expansion to get what they want in s.d.. and abandon jax if needed.
    on top of this, the two franchises mentioned appear primarily on cbs and are currently
    shown locally on affiliates, l.a. has the cbs west coast flagship o&o station that would be the main beneficiary of a transfer. cbs will be a big player in this situation, with substantial revenue increases that will add value to their nfl contract bringing it more on par with the fox package - that can also negate relocation fees.
    there aren’t any al davis “renegade” owners in the nfl anymore and as goodell has made it clear that the league will not allow a single owner to control the situation.
    They will only make a move when it’s advantageous to the league and it’s business partners, they won’t use up the only true “threat” advantage that any sports business has now before they can get as much out of it they can across the country.
    Last edited by Paul W; 12-03-2012 at 08:49 PM.
    reality really sucks.
    enjoy the game more...

Explain to me why the NFL would want Europe please, it makes no sense to me at first? Also would they ever go to Toranto? I mean the Bills play there a lot for some reaon.

Explain to me why the NFL would want Europe please, it makes no sense to me at first? Also would they ever go to Toranto? I mean the Bills play there a lot for some reaon.
    Europe, i.e. London, is nothing but a Roger Goddell pipe dream. It makes no practical sense to have a team in London full time. Not only would that team be isolated from all others by a 4 hour time difference, but getting teams from the West Coast to go to London would eventually become tiresome. Literally.

Toronto would only be a relocation target if that team is the Bills. Anyone else would have to compete with the Bills for territorial rights, IMHO. Plus the Skydome would in all likelihood only be utilized as a temporary venue.

Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast