Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627

Thread: Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum / McAfee C / Network Associates C / UMAX C

Quote Originally Posted by schnu View Post
    Cripes - I vaguely remember that they set up the field in that orientation at times. Did the Raiders use the Home-to-CF setup in early season games before they moved to LA in '81?
    During baseball season, yes.

[QUOTE=ericlc129;2349798]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Laser Beam View Post
    But the Dome's only been there for, what, 20 years? How could they possibly want to leave so soon?

QUOTE]

Owners all want what Cowboys Stadium has...and then add to it. It's all about getting the Super Bowl to their site and to rake in tens of thousands every year for PSL's, suites, hotel fees, and so on. I'm sure that's why Lambeau was tinkered with only 8 years or so after they remodeled it as well.

Which brings up this point: If Lambeau is according to some, the Greatest Stadium EVER, why don't they ever bid for the Super Bowl?
    Lam. never put a bid in because before NY got a bid it was common knowledge they would never play outdoors up north at the time. Fans don't want to be cold, owners want to play golf, and the NFL staff don't want to reschedule (even though Saturday night makes perfect sense so we don't have to go to work the next day).

Also remember in the mid 90s and on when teams of sports would claim they wanted more luxury boxes and suites? The new one in the NFL is on the field bars/restaurants. When Dallas did it and gave people a chance to pay out the nose to stand in a bar as the players came onto the field, owners found their new excuse. I love the Falcons stadium, less than 20 years old, plenty of boxes and open concourses; and even they are getting a new one.
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Plattsburgh NY, From Mineville / Witherbee NY
    Quote Originally Posted by ericlc129 View Post

Which brings up this point: If Lambeau is according to some, the Greatest Stadium EVER, why don't they ever bid for the Super Bowl?
    Green Bay Wisconsin is the smallest town that holds an NFL team and the Super Bowl isn't just about the game anymore. There are a lot of events that go on during Super Bowl week, which brings in a lot more people that would normally come into a NFL town for a Sunday game. And not to mention the extra media as well. And with all these people, you need massive amounts of hotel rooms and convention center type spaces. And Green Bay is too small for that. Even Jacksonville had to park cruise ships on the river to accommodate the extra people, and by some, was deemed a failure.

did you see the list of what it takes to host a super bowl now? There is no way Green Bay could pull this off:

http://www.startribune.com/local/min...262253921.html
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

I'm sure Milwaukee could pull it off; but that's one hell of a commute to Lambeau.

I'm sure with every year the Super Bowl riders get longer, more complex and such. I'm still in awe and disappointment that the L.A. area hasn't considered bidding. Remember when the Coliseum, The Rose Bowl, Stanford all were hosting stadiums? All we hear is that the NFL would love to expand back into L.A. Why not at least an exhibition game at the Coliseum, or Cal Stadium?

Quote Originally Posted by ericlc129 View Post
    I'm sure Milwaukee could pull it off; but that's one hell of a commute to Lambeau.

I'm sure with every year the Super Bowl riders get longer, more complex and such. I'm still in awe and disappointment that the L.A. area hasn't considered bidding. Remember when the Coliseum, The Rose Bowl, Stanford all were hosting stadiums? All we hear is that the NFL would love to expand back into L.A. Why not at least an exhibition game at the Coliseum, or Cal Stadium?
    Yeah I always wonder why they will go to Toronto or London but not LA. They must really want that new stadium.

CWS@OAK: Warren hurls a no-hitter
    9/29/83: In the ninth Major League start of his career, Mike Warren no-hits the White Sox

Box score:
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...98309290.shtml
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Holman loses perfect game with Phelps' homer
    4/20/90: Brian Holman loses a shot at history after Ken Phelps rips a home run to right to ruin his chance at a perfect game and no-hitter

The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627