Thread: Regulation Bat Size-Weight for 13 yr old

Regulation Bat Size-Weight for 13 yr old

My son will play 13 year-old Babe Ruth Baseball next year. I can't find any specifics on what the bat size and weight regulations are for that age group. Can any one help?

I found this link but don’t know whether or not it holds across all of BR baseball.

For your son, I would guess that using the HS and College rules for bats would certainly be accepted though. BESR is pretty easy to spot on a bat. If you don’t know a lot about BESR, check out the white paper at
    The pitcher who’s afraid to throw strikes, will soon be standing in the shower with the hitter who's afraid to swing.

The BESR has nothing to do with the weight of the bat. It means Ball exiting speed ratio. A kid that is 13 yrs old should be swinging a -5 and working hard to be able to swing a -3 2 5/8" barrel bat by the time of his Freshmen year.

Quote Originally Posted by skipper5 View Post
    BESR bats cannot be less than minus three.

You will not find a BESR imprint on a minus five bat.

Babe Ruth does NOT require BESR. Senior LL does.

Thanks skipper, for the info.

-5 Would Be The Correct Size For This Year

A -5 bat, with a BESR stamp would be best. This bat would be acceptable at in any organization of baseball at 13 years of age. A previous poster is correct in saying that -3 is the regulation for high school and college.

161st St & River Ave (by way of Northern NJ)
    Blog Entries
    I'm moving this to Baseball 101.
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Just to make it clear, LL Senior League (11-12 year old) does not require -3. Because the barrel cannot be bigger than 2 and 1/4 inches in diameter, many of those kids are using -13! Otherwise, I'd check with your league to find out the thickness of the barrel allowed is. I'm assuming that they will allow up to a 2 and 3/4" barrel ("big barrel") bat. You can get a copy of the national Babe Ruth organization rules by emailing here: