Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Minute Maid Park / Astros Field / Enron Field

Quote Originally Posted by Elysian Fields View Post
    They basically copied the Safeco bar/party in the outfield there.
    That is actually not a bad idea.... If you have ever seen a game from there at Safeco (which I have) it is actually a very cool area to stand have a beer watch the game and shoot the breeze with a fantastic outfield perspective (and rest assured I am not a hipster ). They could have preserved these original dimensions (with the hill) and just built an overhang like the one on Chase Field to create this space; that would have been truly unique and awesome perspective of the game. I do not get why so many of these baseball stadium designers have such little creativity when it comes to using the unique aspect that baseball has over other sports playing fields: signature outfield dimensions. Yet here we are in that one of the most charming elements of the game is made much less so in this case.
    Definition of a homerun: When the baseball gets hit to a DISTANCE that the fielder cannot get it into homeplate before the batter rounds the bases.

Associated Press -- Citi Field's smaller dimensions helped opponents more than the New York Mets.
    Thanks Sandy Alderson.

Astros1.jpg

New Crawford Box seats:
    Astros2.jpg

New Field being put in:
    Astros 3.jpg
    Last edited by BigJ52; 02-08-2017 at 05:44 PM.

Cool pics! Nice vantage point in those new seats.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd Gondolli View Post
    That's terrible. Can't we have ONE park with something totally idiosyncratic and a reasonably deep CF?

God....boring small parks leads to boring, home run based baseball.
    Generic garbage for sure. With shifts it's going to end up the only hits there will be at all will be doubles off the wall and home runs over it.

There's only a few more new parks to be built soon, wish one of them would have actually interesting dimensions and a CF that is legit deep. Even better, a reasonable deep CF and an even deeper LCF or RCF like OYS. A 420 CF and a 440 LCF for instance would be cool with shorter down the line to balance it out. I want different parks.
    27/40

Progress as of 2/9/17:

Astros4.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by trepye View Post
    That is actually not a bad idea.... If you have ever seen a game from there at Safeco (which I have) it is actually a very cool area to stand have a beer watch the game and shoot the breeze with a fantastic outfield perspective (and rest assured I am not a hipster ). They could have preserved these original dimensions (with the hill) and just built an overhang like the one on Chase Field to create this space; that would have been truly unique and awesome perspective of the game. I do not get why so many of these baseball stadium designers have such little creativity when it comes to using the unique aspect that baseball has over other sports playing fields: signature outfield dimensions. Yet here we are in that one of the most charming elements of the game is made much less so in this case.
    Yeah, I have not been, and have only seen it on TV for Mariners games. It looks cool and popular for sure. The Astros are hoping for some of that at Minute Maid. I exaggerate my aversion to hipsters. And Altuve and Correa need to get paid.

I will say the original design of Minute Maid left a bit of a void in CF and they didn't nicely wrap the right field stands around the outfield into center field. If they had done like a Wrigley Park style wrapping of the outfield seats, I think they could sit more folks and do some cooler things in the dead center field area. Regardless, it is a great place to watch a game and a very underrated park.

Mike Acosta ‏@AstrosTalk 12m12 minutes ago

The rebuilt warning track in center is taking shape at Minute Maid Park.

Astros5.jpg

Astros6.jpg
    Last edited by BigJ52; 02-13-2017 at 04:01 PM.

Mike Acosta ‏@AstrosTalk 2h2 hours ago

Stormy outside, new grass inside.

C4oumSPVUAERFpD.jpg

Mike Acosta ‏@AstrosTalk 47m47 minutes ago

The center field fence is going up while new wall pads wait to be next. The pads are darker green than what the photo shows.

C4o_JjAUMAA-gms.jpg

Mike Acosta
    ‏@AstrosTalk

Almost ready for baseball.

C4uVpLoUkAE2su6.jpg

Mike Acosta ‏@AstrosTalk 2m2 minutes ago

The new center field wall is almost done.

C4u-xKSUMAEMsEU.jpg

C4vEJpZUcAA0pHX.jpg
    Last edited by BigJ52; 02-15-2017 at 02:14 PM.

Mike Acosta
    ‏@AstrosTalk

The height of the outfield wall runs from 19.5' (LF), 25' (LCF), 10' (CF, RCF) and 7' (RF). With various turns, there are 19 wall angles.

C4zU36cVYAAxShv.jpg

C4zUgfVVYAAFQAJ.jpg

C4zVQmMVYAAW5Ey.jpg

I'm considering that ugly batter's eye as a tribute to the Metrodome Hefty Bag.

mlb_g_metrodome_sy_600.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by JohnCropp View Post

Yep, it is pretty bad. Hopefully it is not quite the finished product yet but don't know what else much they could do to it at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnCropp View Post

It is temporary. There was a college baseball tournament this past weekend at Minute Maid Park, so it was tarped. It's actually going to be ivy.

Quote Originally Posted by Astros View Post
    It is temporary. There was a college baseball tournament this past weekend at Minute Maid Park, so it was tarped. It's actually going to be ivy.
    Thanks, old friend. How's that model coming along?

Quote Originally Posted by Astros View Post
    Well, that is a relief!

Ivy? That will look cool.

Mike Acosta‏@AstrosTalk 2h2 hours ago

The #Astros star is being installed above center field today.

C5SMbcVVUAISQVG.jpg

C5SOpCmWAAA9HCU.jpg

C5SgOpnUkAA1_gr.jpg

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213