Thread: chris from Braves Journal's Rebuilding Plan

chris from Braves Journal's Rebuilding Plan

This is all taken verbatium:

think of this Trade:

Tim Lincecum, rhp
    Jonathan Sanchez, lhp
    Angel Villalona, 3b

for Tex.

Move Chipper to 1B and put Villalona at 3B.
    and

(The idea of trading Tim Lincecum for a left-handed power bat) was my point EXACTLY. san fran has LOTS of money now and some decent pitchers in the wings. they need a Left handed bat to hit into McCovey Cove (shorter porch that way) and spending 21-30 million a year on a Right haded Arod makes NO sense whatsoever considering their home field. however, spending 20 million on a Left Handed first basemen and giving up those 3 might justify the butts Tex would put in the seats.

as for having a 17 year old at 3B (actually, i’ve read he’s 19)…didn’t we put a 19 year old in CF during the WORLD freakin’ SERIES?

he turned out pretty well. pretty fat now, but he turned out pretty well.

my issue is this: no matter who we sign, we’re not going to the playoffs this year. Hell, I’m a loyal guy, but if Chipper wants another ring, trade him to a AL team and get some pitchers for him. Trade smoltzy to a contender and make that Tex trade.

in 3 years, we’re solid. rebuilding, folks, requires what we just did with renty: get two NICE prospects for an older commodity.

it also requires some pains.
    And he calls himself a loyal fan.
    Last edited by SamtheBravesFan; 11-05-2007 at 10:56 AM.

wow! i think there is a saying out there that goes something like this:

"great teams don't rebuild, they reload". I want the braves to compete now! not three years from now. i don't agree with those trades at all.

He stated point-blank the Braves aren't going to make the playoffs next year. Exactly what basis does he have for thinking that? Little to none, I'd wager. The Mets are old and haggard all over and the Phillies are too damn inconsistent to repeat.

Get this. The guy that he wants to immediately replace Chipper Jones at third after trading Teixeira to San Francisco, Angel Villanola, is listed at 17, but he's alledgedly 19 years old. Plus, he hasn't played a single inning above Low A.

Then in the next rebuttal post you see there, it's "trade Chipper for prospects". It's bonkers, I tell you.
    Last edited by SamtheBravesFan; 11-05-2007 at 11:44 AM.

I agree with Sam it is a crazy idea that I would only agree with if the Braves didn't have a shot at making the playoffs next year. I would love to get Lincecum but only if we trade them prospects that won't have an impact this year or play a position of good depth.

The truth is the Braves best shot of making the playoffs and winning it all might be next year. With the possiblity of losing Tex and Smoltz not getting any younger along with Chipper and Hudson will likely mean next year is their best shot for a couple of years. If we are going to make a big huge pitching trade I would much rather sell the farm for someone like Bedard, Santana, or Haren and put all our hopes into next year rather then trying to rebuild for 3 years down the line.
    Extend Prado!!!

I don't even know who we could get for Jones, Teixeira and Smoltz REALISTICALLY that we can plug in immediately and still compete. It's a laughable proposition.

Quote Originally Posted by SamtheBravesFan View Post
    I don't even know who we could get for Jones, Teixeira and Smoltz REALISTICALLY that we can plug in immediately and still compete. It's a laughable proposition.
    For Chipper I think the likely option would be either Lillibridge or Yunel. (Lillibridge would take over SS) Tex maybe KK but that would be a pretty big risk since he seems to struggle whenever he gets promoted. I could see Hudson taking over as the ace of the staff but after that the Braves would likely have to put their trust in young pitchers like Jo-Jo, Jair, Rohrbough, among a few others.
    Extend Prado!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PureBaseballFan View Post
    For Chipper I think the likely option would be either Lillibridge or Yunel. (Lillibridge would take over SS) Tex maybe KK but that would be a pretty big risk since he seems to struggle whenever he gets promoted. I could see Hudson taking over as the ace of the staff but after that the Braves would likely have to put their trust in young pitchers like Jo-Jo, Jair, Rohrbough, among a few others.
    That's one reason this guy and people like him say the Braves need to be rebuilt: they seem to have no long-term pitching plan.

The point of Tex trade was to fill the braves need at 1b for a long period of time. Why on earth would we trade him? Lincecum is very good but I don't think we can do it given the fact that we spent so much for Tex.
    4th Member of the Peter Moylan Fan Club!!!!

Creator of the Guess The Player Game
    http://baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?t=63675

Quote Originally Posted by AznInvasion View Post
    The point of Tex trade was to fill the braves need at 1b for a long period of time. Why on earth would we trade him? Lincecum is very good but I don't think we can do it given the fact that we spent so much for Tex.
    The prevailing widsom is that it will be impossible for the Braves to re-sign Teixeira, so they have to trade him as soon as possible, especially if they fall out of contention by July, 2008. At least to these people.

I forgot to challenge a guy's opinion that Teixeira will sign a $22-$28 million a year contract after the 2008 season, which would be $6-$12 million more than Albert Pujols will be making. That is, of course, based off of the assumption that Boras will be seeking a contract for Teixeira that is similar in insane salary and length like Alex Rodriguez's proposed $350 million/10 year contract.
    Last edited by SamtheBravesFan; 11-05-2007 at 01:44 PM.

I don't understand this thread. I want to win next year and we CAN do it.
    3 years? Hell I might be dead in 3 years.
    Braves Fan Forever
    Rico Carty, Eddie Mathews, Evan Longoria

http://public.fotki.com/cpope3/

Member of the Peter Moylan Fan Club

Quote Originally Posted by SamtheBravesFan View Post
    The prevailing widsom is that it will be impossible for the Braves to re-sign Teixeira, so they have to trade him as soon as possible, especially if they fall out of contention by July, 2008. At least to these people.

I forgot to challenge a guy's opinion that Teixeira will sign a $22-$28 million a year contract after the 2008 season, which would be $6-$12 million more than Albert Pujols will be making. That is, of course, based off of the assumption that Boras will be seeking a contract for Teixeira that is similar in insane salary and length like Alex Rodriguez's proposed $350 million/10 year contract.
    Desperate times call for desperate measures I guess. I would only use that as a last resort. If we lose all our offense, we might regret it.
    4th Member of the Peter Moylan Fan Club!!!!

Creator of the Guess The Player Game
    http://baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?t=63675

Quote Originally Posted by Cpope View Post
    I don't understand this thread. I want to win next year and we CAN do it.
    3 years? Hell I might be dead in 3 years.
    The point of this thread is to call into the forefront that there are some Braves fans that are convinced that trying to win is a lost cause and must stock up prospects to make a run in the near future. I've heard the name of the 1985-90 Braves invoked in opposition to this attempt for victory in 2008.