Thread: Philidelphia A's 2005 Reunion Group Photos

Blog Entries

Philidelphia A's 2005 Reunion Group Photos

I saw this, and thought that it was kinda neat to see how the "heros" from that team look now. Amazingly Eddie Joost looks pretty good for being 91 yrs old.

Standing left to right: Don Hasenmayer, Johnny Logan, Barney Schultz, Ryne Duren ,Randy Gumpert,
    Bill Hockenbury, Lou Brissie, Leroy Wheat, Carl Scheib, Joe Astroth, Virgil Trucks, John Addision

Sitting: Sonny Dixon, Allie Clark, Eddie Joost, Mickey Vernon, Spook Jacobs, Irv Hall, Al Brancato & Jack Crimian

P.S.
    I happen to have autographed baseball cards from 15 of them. Which I am proud of.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by AutographCollector; 11-08-2007 at 10:14 AM.

Blog Entries
    I always liked the elephant logo:

Blog Entries

More pics from the reunion

1st pic: Mr & Mrs Virgil Trucks
    2nd pic: Mr & Mrs Allie Clark
    3rd pic: Johnny Logan
    4th pic: Lou Brissie & Irv Hall
    5th pic: Mr & Mrs Forrest "Spook" Jacobs

Blog Entries
    The only surviving sibling of the late Connie mack; Ruth Mack.

Are Annual Philadelphia A's Reunion Shows Still Being Held?

Since your photos are from the 2005 show, and I recently checked out the A's Museum website, which listed no plans for another reunion, listing only a few planned minor events in the future, I have to ask the question, " Are they still holding annual A's reunions"?
    I went to the 1999 and 2000 A's reunions/baseball card and memorabilia shows, and the last time I visited the A's Museum was October 2004. (I traveled over 80 miles from Northern New Jersey to the museum and these events).
    I suspect that the few Philly A's surviving players are now so elderly and have serious health problems, and that makes traveling to reunions for the players, and planning shows for the museum management, difficult, if not impossible.
    Last edited by philliesfiend55; 11-11-2007 at 11:32 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by philliesfiend55 View Post
    Since your photos are from the 2005 show, and I recently checked out the A's Museum website, which listed no plans for another reunion, listing only a few planned minor events in the future, I have to ask the question, " Are they still holding annual A's reunions"?
    I went to the 1999 and 2000 A's reunions/baseball card and memorabilia shows, and the last time I visited the A's Museum was October 2004. (I traveled over 80 miles from Northern New Jersey to the museum and these events).
    I suspect that the few Philly A's surviving players are now so elderly and have serious health problems, and that makes traveling to reunions for the players, and planning shows for the museum management, difficult, if not impossible.
    Sadly, the last yr for the reunions was LAST year. 2006.
    Why? I do not know. MOST of them live around the Tri-state area.

To Autograph Collector

It's too bad that no further reunions are being planned. Gus Zernial autographed a few cards and photos for me at the '99 reunion and I got the Phillies Bob Miller's autograph at the same show. I got Bob Feller and Sam Chapman at another show the next year (2000).
    I think Zernial was in the Navy in the liberation of the Philippines near the end of WWII, and my wife's Filipino, so she got his attention and we took some photos of us together, and he was very pleasant. My main disappointment was that I was never available to attend any shows/reunions that George Kell appeared at
    On one visit to the Museum I said I was looking for a photo of Phillie Don Hasenmayer. The staffer said " he comes in here all the time, leave me your address". Sure enough, within a week Hasenmayer had been contacted or visited the museum and he sent me a free, autographed photo.
    The guys like Max Silberman who run the museum are always nice and friendly when dealing with the public. I'd visit more often if I didn't live so far away. The museum was always a good source for Phillies materials and photos as well as A's stuff.
    P.S.: Mickey Vernon looks pretty good in your group photo too, especially for a guy in his upper 80's.
    Thanks for clarifying the situation of the reunions with your prompt reply.
    -philliesfiend55.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by philliesfiend55 View Post
    It's too bad that no further reunions are being planned. Gus Zernial autographed a few cards and photos for me at the '99 reunion and I got the Phillies Bob Miller's autograph at the same show. I got Bob Feller and Sam Chapman at another show the next year (2000).
    I think Zernial was in the Navy in the liberation of the Philippines near the end of WWII, and my wife's Filipino, so she got his attention and we took some photos of us together, and he was very pleasant. My main disappointment was that I was never available to attend any shows/reunions that George Kell appeared at
    On one visit to the Museum I said I was looking for a photo of Phillie Don Hasenmayer. The staffer said " he comes in here all the time, leave me your address". Sure enough, within a week Hasenmayer had been contacted or visited the museum and he sent me a free, autographed photo.
    The guys like Max Silberman who run the museum are always nice and friendly when dealing with the public. I'd visit more often if I didn't live so far away. The museum was always a good source for Phillies materials and photos as well as A's stuff.
    P.S.: Mickey Vernon looks pretty good in your group photo too, especially for a guy in his upper 80's.
    Thanks for clarifying the situation of the reunions with your prompt reply.
    -philliesfiend55.
    I have several autographed cards from Mr Kell. PM me your address and I'll send you one or two for free.

By the way: You are welcome for the prompt info.

Blog Entries

How some of them looked back in the "good ol' days"

Virgil Trucks, Allie Clark, Johnny Logan, Lou Brissie, Irv Hall

Blog Entries

Spook Jacobs

"Spook"
    (Who till this day will NEVER refuse to give an autograph; GREAT guy!)

Blog Entries
    Eddie Joost, Gus "Ozark Ike" Zernial, and Carl Scheib

Quote Originally Posted by AutographCollector View Post
    I always liked the elephant logo:
    ya gotta LOVE that logo! very cool.
    you can take the Dodgers out of Brooklyn, but you can't take the Brooklyn out of the DODGERS
    http://brooklyndodgermemories.freeforums.org/

I alway's liked the a's in the american league. I guess one reason was they wore blue and white. the great white elephant logo. bobby shantz, I so hoped they could win the 48 pennant, then they tailed off. I live in de. now and I hear about the a's often. they are not forgotten. even an old brooklyn fan admires all those great players and pennants and championships. the a's should never have left philadelphia. the a's in philly and the dodgers in brooklyn. once that was true, it was great then. zack wheat even played for the a's for a while. In the american league I rooted for the a's. I was a brooklyn dodger fan make no mistake, but I loved it so when the browns or a's beat the yanks. long will be remembered the philadelphia a's. battlin bake the dodger dynamo
    Last edited by dodger dynamo; 11-24-2007 at 01:19 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dodger dynamo View Post
    I alway's liked the a's in the american league. I guess one reason was they wore blue and white. the great white elephant logo. bobby shantz, I so hoped they could win the 48 pennant, then they tailed off. I live in de. now and I hear about the a's often. they are not forgotten. even an old brooklyn fan admires all those great players and pennants and championships. the a's should never have left philadelphia. the a's in philly and the dodgers in brooklyn. once that was true, it was great then. zack wheat even played for tha's for a while. In the american league I rooted for the a's. I was a brooklyn dodger fan make no mistake, but I loved it so when the browns or a's beat the yanks. long will be remembered the philadelphia a's. battlin bake the dodger dynamo
    What I would have given to be alive in the 40's and the 50's just to watch those teams.

when the brooks were out of town I went to yankee stadium on occasion to see the a's. I had an aunt who lived in philadelphia and she was a big a's fan. several summers we would visit for a few days and we'd go to old shibe park (connie mack stadium) which was both home to the phils and the a's. the a's actually owned the stadium. wouldn't a dodger a's world series have been cool. it happened twice but only after they both had moved. 1974 and 1988. It would have been great if it had happened in the 40's or 50's. players then were very in touch with the fans. spook jacobs was a brooklyn farm hand, then then they lost him to the a's. thanks AC for the news that he lives in de. I believe it's not far from me. take care all. battlin bake the dodger dynamo.

I know players make up the identities of their respective teams, but we tossed around an idea in the brooklyn forum about the dodgers playing the mets in brooklyn uniforms and caps as if they were the brooklyn dodgers. not an old timers game or exhibition. but an actual game. the a's could play in philly now with interleague play as the philadelphia a's. maybe a game a season. bad Idea/good Idea? battlin bake, the dodger dynamo

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dodger dynamo View Post
    I know players make up the identities of their respective teams, but we tossed around an idea in the brooklyn forum about the dodgers playing the mets in brooklyn uniforms and caps as if they were the brooklyn dodgers. not an old timers game or exhibition. but an actual game. the a's could play in philly now with interleague play as the philadelphia a's. maybe a game a season. bad Idea/good Idea? battlin bake, the dodger dynamo
    That's a great idea! Now someone just needs to pitch the idea to MLB!

Quote Originally Posted by AutographCollector View Post
    What I would have given to be alive in the 40's and the 50's just to watch those teams.
    some really cool ballplayers.........the logo was cool, and the players were colorful. here's sam chapman......
    you can take the Dodgers out of Brooklyn, but you can't take the Brooklyn out of the DODGERS
    http://brooklyndodgermemories.freeforums.org/

This is a magnificent thread...

this pic of gus zernial was used by topps for his 1952 baseball card. colourised, they made his t-shirt pink.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PlayJay View Post
    This is a magnificent thread...
    Thanks!
    P.s.
    holy old thread batman!