Thread: Dreyfus, Murtaugh Up For Hof!

Dreyfus, Murtaugh Up For Hof!

http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/ne...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Both deserve to be in Cooperstown. I wish Dreyfuss was still our owner, and Murtaugh our Manager (no offense to the Galbreths or Chuck Tanner) I'm sure they're spinning in their respective graves over the current state of the Pirates.

I'm not holding out much hope that the Vets committee will put either one in (look how long it took them to get Maz in) but Dreyfus should get in well ahead of Walter O'Malley (his nomination is going over reeeeaaallll well in the Brooklyn Dodgers area) I mean Dreyfuss did help create the World Series, as well as build Forbes Field.
    Last edited by BeatEmBucs; 11-09-2007 at 08:05 PM.
    LETS GO BUCS!!

Bedford Avenue at Sullivan Place in a Marble ROTUNDA
    Quote Originally Posted by BeatEmBucs View Post
    http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/ne...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Both deserve to be in Cooperstown. I wish Dreyfuss was still our owner, and Murtaugh our Manager (no offense to the Galbreths or Chuck Tanner) I'm sure they're spinning in their respective graves over the current state of the Pirates.

I'm not holding out much hope that the Vets committee will put either one in (look how long it took them to get Maz in) but Dreyfus should get in well ahead of Walter O'Malley (his nomination is going over reeeeaaallll well in the Brooklyn Dodgers area) I mean Dreyfuss did help create the World Series, as well as build Forbes Field.
    For us outsiders, BeatEmBucs, please tell us about owner Dryfuss. I don't know much about him.

I do remember Manager Danny Murtaugh, and we knew Chuck Tanner. But, please fill in the blanks about the rest of the Pirates history. Who were the Galbreths?

Thanks.

c.

Quote Originally Posted by DODGER DEB View Post
    For us outsiders, BeatEmBucs, please tell us about owner Dryfuss. I don't know much about him.

Thanks.

c.
    Deb, For you, and anyone else who may be interested, here's a great writeup on Bernhard "Barney" Dreyfuss (1865-1932) from the SABR. Barney Dreyfuss is a member of the International Jewish Sports Hall of Fame.

The Pirates were sold in 1946 to a group headed by John W. Galbreath (baseball writeup in last paragraph).
    Last edited by Aa3rt; 11-09-2007 at 11:45 PM.
    "For the Washington Senators, the worst time of the year is the baseball season." Roger Kahn

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." Rogers Hornsby.

Bedford Avenue at Sullivan Place in a Marble ROTUNDA
    Quote Originally Posted by Aa3rt View Post
    Deb, For you, and anyone else who may be interested, here's a great writeup on Bernhard "Barney" Dreyfuss (1865-1932) from the SABR. Barney Dreyfuss is a member of the International Jewish Sports Hall of Fame.

The Pirates were sold in 1946 to a group headed by John W. Galbreath (baseball writeup in last paragraph).
    Thanks, Aa3rt. I will certainly read them.

c.

Quote Originally Posted by Aa3rt View Post

Thanks for the link! It's good to see Dreyfuss is at least in one hall of fame!

As for the Galbreaths. They owned horse farms in KY (I think their farms were home to a few Kentucky Derby winners) and bought the Pirates from Dreyfuss' widow (and son-in-law) in 1946 and were the owners up until 1985 where the increasing age of John and Dan Galbreath, and the increasing cost of running a Major League ballclub was too much for them to keep up. It didn't help matters that the Bucs had fallen from champion in 1979, to cellar dwellar in 1985, and that there was a dark cloud of drug trials and poor attendance (only 735,900 for the '85 season) around the team. The Galbreaths sold the Pirates to the "Pittsburgh Associates" in 1985. The "Associates" main goal was to keep the team in Pittsburgh, and they kept the team afloat until putting it up for sale in 1994 (they announced the Pirates were up for sale the week before the players strike) Then the McClatchy/Nutting regime bought the team and still own the team today. While I give the current ownership group oodles of credit for getting PNC Park built, the on-field performance of the team during their ownership has left a lot to be desired.
    Last edited by BeatEmBucs; 11-12-2007 at 08:13 PM. Reason: wanted to add some stuff.
    LETS GO BUCS!!

Will Murtaugh Finally Get His Due In Dec. 3 Election?

I think that Murtaugh had a lot of accomplishments that could help his Hall Of Fame chances. He took over a moribund Pirates franchise in 1957 and took it to a second-place finish in his second year and a World's Championship by his fourth year. He led the Pirates to five or six first-place finishes, including divisional titles and made the most of his chances in the World Series going 2-0 in The Fall Classic (also winning The Series with the Pirates in 1971).
    The fact that he began his career as a Phillie from 1941 to 1946, with the 1944 and '45 seasons out for military service, doesn't hurt in my estimation, but when he went to the Pirates in 1948, he found his real home.

- Phillies Fiend 55 -