Thread: Villarreal Traded

Villarreal Traded

Quote Originally Posted by AJC.com
    Braves trade Villarreal to Astros

By DAVID O'BRIEN
    The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
    Published on: 11/16/07

The Braves traded relief pitcher Oscar Villarreal to the Houston Astros for outfielder Josh Anderson on Friday.

Anderson, 25, appeared in 25 games for the Astros last season where he hit .358 (24-for-67) and played all three outfield positions. The left-handed hitter spent most of the year at Class AAA Round Rock and batted .273 (140-for-513) with 17 doubles and 64 runs scored. He ranked third in the Pacific Coast League with 41 stolen bases.

Villarreal, 26, went 2-2 with a 4.24 ERA in 51 games for the Braves last season.

Anderson, a 2003 fourth-round draft pick, was the MVP of the 2006 Texas League All-Star game and in that same year he led the league for the second consecutive season in stolen bases and he ranked first with 173 hits. In 2004 Anderson led all of minor-league baseball with 78 stolen bases and in 2005 he was rated as the best defensive outfielder and the fastest base runner by Baseball America.
    Well I knew Villarreal was likely gone but Anderson seems like a decent pickup. He is either the new CFer or another guy to compete with Schafer and Lillibridge.
    Extend Prado!!!

This just isn't good. We now have three centerfielders who are too inexperienced to start full time, and one who isn't even a center fielder in the first place. If this is Wren's answer to getting a new centerfielder, then we're freaking screwed.

I don't think he's that stupid, though.

Quote Originally Posted by SamtheBravesFan View Post
    This just isn't good. We now have three centerfielders who are too inexperienced to start full time, and one who isn't even a center fielder in the first place. If this is Wren's answer to getting a new centerfielder, then we're freaking screwed.

I don't think he's that stupid, though.
    I think the opposite this seems like a good move. Villarreal was likely going anyway considering he was up for arbitration and seemed to lose Bobby's confidence. I know Anderson is inexperienced along with guys like Schafer and Lillibridge but the Braves really don't need offense with the lineup they already have and just need good offense which I think pretty much all of them could provide.
    Extend Prado!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PureBaseballFan View Post
    I think the opposite this seems like a good move. Villarreal was likely going anyway considering he was up for arbitration and seemed to lose Bobby's confidence. I know Anderson is inexperienced along with guys like Schafer and Lillibridge but the Braves really don't need offense with the lineup they already have and just need good offense which I think pretty much all of them could provide.
    But the offense will be lower than last season. That means the Braves need better pitching. Moves like this feel like they're inconsequential to me right now.

But the offense will be lower than last season. That means the Braves need better pitching. Moves like this feel like they're inconsequential to me right now.
    I don't think the offense will hurt that much sure the loss of Andruw hurts in a small way and Renteria might hurt depending on how Escobar does in his move to starting at SS but for the most part the majority of the offense is still intacted.

Also to put some of your worries to rest about this being the only posible CF move of the offseason here is a blog entry from Dave O'Brien.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Brien
    THIS JUST IN: As I was literally about to post this blog, Braves announced they’ve trade reliever Oscar Villarreal to Houston for outfielder Josh Anderson.

Just talked to Frank right after the release came out, and he made it clear to me that this kid will compete for the center-field job, but isn’t necessarily “the” replacement. Braves wanted to get him now in case they can’t acquire another, more experienced guy this winter.

Again, this guy will compete for the job, and I’d guess he would be the favorite unless the Braves get another center fielder this winter.

From the Braves’ press release on the dude: Anderson, 25, hit .358 (24-for-67) in 25 games for the Astros this year. He spent the majority of the season at Triple-A Round Rock, where he played all three outfield positions and batted .273 (140-for-513) with 17 doubles and 64 runs scored. He ranked third in the Pacific Coast League with 41 stolen bases.

The left-handed hitter was the MVP of the 2006 Texas League All-Star game and in that same year he led the league for the second consecutive season in stolen bases and ranked first with 173 hits. In 2004 Anderson led all of minor league baseball with 78 stolen bases and in 2005 he was rated as the best defensive outfielder and the fastest base runner by Baseball America.

So there. Dude can fly. And hit for average, though not for a lick of power. And unlike, say, Gregor Blanco, this guy’s done it, albeit briefly, at the major league level.
    I might be reading into this trade but this move seems to me to be another step into a bigger trade.
    Extend Prado!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PureBaseballFan View Post
    I don't think the offense will hurt that much sure the loss of Andruw hurts in a small way and Renteria might hurt depending on how Escobar does in his move to starting at SS but for the most part the majority of the offense is still intact.

I might be reading into this trade but this move seems to me to be another step into a bigger trade.
    Who knows how good Diaz and Escobar's stats are going to be in a full-time role, and then there's Chipper and whether everyone else can keep up their improvements. A lot of questions every year, I suppose.

I REALLY hope this is a step to a bigger move.

Getting a fast guy in exchange for someone who was almost certainly slated to be non tenured seems like a very solid move, to me.

Even if Anderson is only a 4th or 5th outfielder, he'll be a welcome addition, for my money.
    3 6 10 21 29 31 35 41 42 44 47

Im honored to go into the Baseball Hall of Fame with such a great group of men. - Tom Glavine.

Well this is most likely a precusor to a bigger move, but I really liked what Villarreal did for the Braves in his two seasons here. After his first season here I thought he would be another Jorge Sosa, but he turned out to be a viable option from the pen.
    2nd member of the Peter Moylan Fan Club

I'm glad they got something for Villarreal, I think this move is to make Anderson a 4th OF'er off the bench so we can say goodbye to the Willie Harris era in Atlanta.

Addition by subtraction is always good. This could be for depth or for a larger deal. I like the speed aspect either way.
    4th Member of the Peter Moylan Fan Club!!!!

Creator of the Guess The Player Game
    http://baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?t=63675

yea i don't mind the trade.. seemed like the braves were losing oscar anyway. but i do i have question, kinda echoing sam's concerns. so let's say lillibridge or hernandez or this anderson guy get the starting CF job for next year. they schafer is ready for 09. where do you put the CF from 08? left field and get rid of diaz? just seems like a lot of "potential" OFs. blanco, b.jones, liliibridge, hernandez, anderson, schafer.

and to note, i wouldn't be all that upset if schafer was in CF this season, especially if he keeps crushing it in zona league. cause the offense should be there, with or without a power hitting CF.

Quote Originally Posted by chip&smoltz95 View Post
    yea i don't mind the trade.. seemed like the braves were losing oscar anyway. but i do i have question, kinda echoing sam's concerns. so let's say lillibridge or hernandez or this anderson guy get the starting CF job for next year. they schafer is ready for 09. where do you put the CF from 08? left field and get rid of diaz? just seems like a lot of "potential" OFs. blanco, b.jones, liliibridge, hernandez, anderson, schafer.

and to note, i wouldn't be all that upset if schafer was in CF this season, especially if he keeps crushing it in zona league. cause the offense should be there, with or without a power hitting CF.
    Hernandez won't be patrolling CF next year as he still needs development time.

Lillibridge could be moved to the infield to either be a bench player that plays every position or, if he plays well in 2008 perhaps that will make him either a good trading piece. If Lillibridge plays well that may make the Braves want to trade Kelly to make room for Lillibridge.

Anderson in the long run seems to be more of a 4th outfielder that is basically a better hitting version of Willie Harris.

With Diaz entering arbitration and if he continues to hit well his trade value should go up and the Braves will likely try to move him. Considering the depth at the outfield positions in Cody Johnson, Gorky Hernandez, Jason Heyward, and Carl Loadenthal that will be cheaper and younger.
    Extend Prado!!!

So who's going to start on opening day ? I saw Schafer in Myrtle Beach I didn't think he was so great.
    People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring. -Rogers Hornsby

Quote Originally Posted by JeffFrancoeur7 View Post
    So who's going to start on opening day ? I saw Schafer in Myrtle Beach I didn't think he was so great.
    I seriously doubt that the Braves are going into Opening Day with a rookie center fielder. Just wait.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffFrancoeur7 View Post
    Schafer is likely the future at CF and I wouldn't judge a player from just seeing one game.

I seriously doubt that the Braves are going into Opening Day with a rookie center fielder. Just wait.
    I agree that he might not start opening day but if who ever they get (if they get anyone else) struggles they won't be hesitant in bringing up Schafer. Josh Anderson looks to be a stopgap or a 4th outfielder that would be better then Willie Harris. I think the likely target will be DeJesus just for the pure connection of Dayton Moore but I wouldn't expect to happen to soon though.
    Extend Prado!!!

As of 12/4 I think David DeJesus will start CF for the Braves. Atlanta needs a stopgap between Andruw and Schafer. I think DeJesus fits that bill.

Quote Originally Posted by JCStone07 View Post
    As of 12/4 I think David DeJesus will start CF for the Braves. Atlanta needs a stopgap between Andruw and Schafer. I think DeJesus fits that bill.
    JC, DeJesus is signed through 2010 to a prorated contract with a 2011 option. That is not what the Braves need.

At this point, I think Atlanta would be better served with Josh Anderson or Brent Lillibridge in center, just as long as Jordan Schafer doesn't play there. Anything to keep him from being rushed (overrated or not).